• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOT all 5.56 Bolt Carrier Groups are created equal!

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
My new Aero Precision bolt carrier group is better than the Tool Craft nickle boron. The Aero PRecision bcg runs in my AR15. Not so with the tool craft which does not retract fully. The bolt in the tool craft is very tight fitting. Too tight which is causing the problem. The Aero Precision is a much better made and much more precise product. I hope PSA will access a return and give me a refund on the junky tool craft.

Last edited:
Buy your Toolcraft bcg's from SpiceTac. PSA's are in fact Toolcraft but I have heard the NIB coating is not as good on the PSA's. YMMV.

Buy your Toolcraft bcg's from SpiceTac. PSA's are in fact Toolcraft but I have heard the NIB coating is not as good on the PSA's. YMMV.
lol, do you have any idea how ridiculous this sounds? You know, regardless of who sells these, they are sourced from same oem right?

• Haha
Reactions: 1911hombre
Is it possible both the aftermarket BCGs are within spec- but due to tolerance stacking on the upper, one works better? It's also possible the upper and both BCGs are out of spec!

Last edited:
What is happening in here lol
it's bad, arfcom bad

apparently one vendor product is better than the next despite both sourcing same said product from same oem. happens all the time, don't you know this? lol

then to top it off, a mod comes in to highlight what everyone already knows about toolcraft with it having zero bearing on the stupidity of the previous guys post.

can't make this up

I gotta admit....
On black friday I bought a AR308 bolt assembly from Ballistic Advantage (part of Aero Precision corp) for $129
Yea, 129 for a 308 BCG...I was all over it like stinky on poo. Even if it sucked I figured I could still give someone a deal and make a profit without feeling bad.
Yup, it's a toolcraft.
It's also the nicest toolcraft I've ever seen. It's nitrided but there isn't a single toolmark or flaw on it anywhere.
I'll be keeping it.
BTW, $129 was shipped....no tax, no shipping charges.
I'm still floored at the price.

My new Aero Precision bolt carrier group is better than the Tool Craft nickle boron. The Aero PRecision bcg runs in my AR15. Not so with the tool craft which does not retract fully. The bolt in the tool craft is very tight fitting. Too tight which is causing the problem. The Aero Precision is a much better made and much more precise product. I hope PSA will access a return and give me a refund on the junky tool craft.

Good grief Charlie Brown

Well, I will acknowledge that, absolutely, all BCG's not created equal.

I'll stick with Radian, RCA & Young (when I can get them), all day, everyday.................there's no guessing or wondering about what you're going to get with them.

But over a half dozen TC's I've also used, I've not had a problem with any of them either.

MM

Last edited:
Young. Toolcraft. Radian. JP. All excellent. Toolcraft makes most OEM ones

I lead a sheltered life.

I slap the mag in, let the bolt slam home, and all the freedom pellets exit the pointy end while all the brass or steel exits the side. No bolt carrier drama ever - whether it’s a $49 PSA or some more expensive offering that promised me groups of 5.56 at 1,000 yds with my eyes closed on account they used the bestest and slipperyist coating known to mankind with the highest tolerances anyone has ever seen.

I’m just lucky thataway.

So what part was tight?

Toolcraft doesn't make bolts... So depending how PSA procured the carriers and bolts, it could be on them.

I like Toolcraft carriers. Most are very finely polished and super slick.

Just try and find one from a reputable Mfg, LMT, BCM, Colt and I hear Tool craft can be good but I have never gone down that path. Those 3 are my jam.

PB

So what part was tight?

Toolcraft doesn't make bolts... So depending how PSA procured the carriers and bolts, it could be on them.

I like Toolcraft carriers. Most are very finely polished and super slick.
The bolt

A new one should ideally be very tight.
It will loosen after a few rounds.
Of course you should take it fully apart and clean out the sticky waxed based protectorant stuff they use from the factory and lube it with something realistic (I use a teflon based oil myself YMMV).
Make sure the 3 gas ring gaps are spaced at 120 degree intervals.

I beat the living dogfuck out of Toolcraft DLC carriers. Not one has flinched
I have a couple of the DLC ones - one in a 6.8 the other a 6mm 6.8 wildcat, both run suppressed. Those are some of the easiest cleaning BCGs I've ever owned. Got mine from ArmOrAlly

I have a couple of the DLC ones - one in a 6.8 the other a 6mm 6.8 wildcat, both run suppressed. Those are some of the easiest cleaning BCGs I've ever owned. Got mine from ArmOrAlly
Just purchased and received Aero Precision Nickle boron 556 BCG from Arm O Ally. It is a better product than my Tool Craft nickle boron 556 BCG.

Just purchased and received Aero Precision Nickle boron 556 BCG from Arm O Ally. It is a better product than my Tool Craft nickle boron 556 BCG.
I have BCGs that are standard mag-phos, nitride, nickle boron, DLC, and chrome. Bought at random times, always on sale, sometimes scandalously cheap (like me). Came with bolts of 9130, C158 and whatever standard GI mil-spec is. TC, PSA, Aero, Ruger labelled, no-name. All have been "tight" initially. I consider (my opinion only) 100rds as a "break in" for a BCG, most are good after a mag. In my limited sample of around 20 they've all worked for me.

My slickest is a TC I put in my "beater" 556. All the tolerances stacked in a good way I guess. I have never felt one that smooth/slick in 35yrs of M16/M4/ARs in multiple calibers. I guess I got lucky. YMMV

Had a Toolcraft duel ejector 308 BCG, had an issue with the bolt sent the BCG back and Toolcraft
replaced the bolt. New bolt was a different manufacture than the original bolt.

Reactions: msgriff
Had a Toolcraft duel ejector 308 BCG, had an issue with the bolt sent the BCG back and Toolcraft
replaced the bolt. New bolt was a different hthan the original bolt.
I have just contacted Toolcraft and explained the problem. They will replace the BCG and will be sending me a return label.

Reactions: Milf Dots
So another classic mash the manufacturer thread……..then contact manufacturer and get issue resolved. Love it
It was not a mash, just accurate information on a singular sample of 1 product that was "out of spec. My singular sample of 1 new Aero Precision BCG is precisely made product than my Tool Craft BCG. However, the next 10,000 Toolcraft BCG's could be more precise and better than the Aero Precision ones or worse.

It was not a mash, just accurate information on a singular sample of 1 product that was "out of spec. My singular sample of 1 new Aero Precision BCG is precisely made product than my Tool Craft BCG. However, the next 10,000 Toolcraft BCG's could be more precise and better than the Aero Precision ones or worse.
And of course you made comparative measurement on both BCG's to support that statement, right????????????

What exactly were the dimensional differences other than one (bolt?) worked & the other one didn't?

MM

And of course you made comparative measurement on both BCG's to support that statement, right????????????

What exactly were the dimensional differences other than one (bolt?) worked & the other one didn't?

MM
It is not my intention to get into a pissing contest with you as could contest everything that I have said and done in testing, reviewing and inspecting this product. Therefore this is the last information I will share with you. Toolcraft bolt diameter is .5270 and the carrier internal diameter is .5300. The Aero Precision bolt diameter is .5274 and the carrier internal diameter is .5310. The Toolcraft is .0006 tighter. Amen.

It is not my intention to get into a pissing contest with you as could contest everything that I have said and done in testing, reviewing and inspecting this product. Therefore this is the last information I will share with you. Toolcraft bolt diameter is .5270 and the carrier internal diameter is .5300. The Aero Precision bolt diameter is .5274 and the carrier internal diameter is .5310. The Toolcraft is .0006 tighter. Amen.
Another meaningless post.

MM

9JLSyhO.jpg

OJFLKqf.jpg

Reactions: clcustom1911
Slow your damn roll tough guy. I thought you said some oem. I'm going on 5 days no sleep with a newborn and wife in the hospital. Jesus christ some of you need to slow your roll
congrats on the baby!!!!! Not being a tough guy here but no patience for the myriad of stupidity that has begun to seep over here of late.

Reactions: padom
My new Aero Precision bolt carrier group is better than the Tool Craft nickle boron. The Aero PRecision bcg runs in my AR15.
OK

Not so with the tool craft which does not retract fully.
I don't know what this means. What part doesn't fully retract? The carrier? The cam pin? The firing pin? The firing pin retaining pin?
The bolt in the tool craft is very tight fitting. Too tight which is causing the problem.
did you put lube on the gas rings? Did you measure the ID of the carrier and OD of the bolt tail?
The Aero Precision is a much better made and much more precise product.
Did you measure the relevant dimensions of both bolt carrier groups and compare them to the relevant bluprints to see which was within spec?
I hope PSA will access a return and give me a refund on the junky tool craft.
The probably will.