• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not an impressive Detective

seporith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2004
USA (N.C.)
Already posted here http://kevinthomason.blogspot.com/2010/02/local-cop-advocates-shooting-law.html ......................................................... Gun Rights Advocates Target California Detective Following Facebook Posts
Sunday, February 14, 2010
By Joshua Rhett Miller
PrintShareThis
Gun rights advocates have a California police detective in their crosshairs after he apparently posted comments on Facebook advocating that "open carry" supporters should be shot.

East Palo Alto Police Det. Rod Tuason apparently posted the remarks on his Facebook page in response to a friend's status update, which suggested that gun advocates who carry unloaded weapons openly — which is legal in California — should do so in places like "Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto" and not just in "hoity toity" cities.

"Haha we had one guy last week try to do it!" Tuason replied. "He got proned out [laid face-down on the ground] and reminded where he was at and that turds will jack him for his gun in a heartbeat!"

Several comments later, the detective suggested shooting the gun rights advocates, some of whom have carried firearms openly in recent weeks in California's Bay Area, particularly at Starbucks locations.

"Sounds like you had someone practicing their 2nd amendment rights last night!" Tuason wrote. "Should've pulled the AR out and prone them all out! And if one of them makes a furtive movement … 2 weeks off!!!" -- referring to the modified duty, commonly known as desk duty, that typically follows any instance in which an officer is investigated for firing his weapon.

Those comments caught the attention of a California attorney and blogger, as well as a Virginia man who started a Facebook group calling for Tuason's termination.

John Taylor, whose Facebook group had 54 members as of midday Friday, said the Facebook thread confirmed gun owners' worst fears.

"Any sworn officer who suggests shooting law-abiding citizens for exercising their most basic constitutional rights deserves the full wrath of America's gun owners," Taylor told FoxNews.com. "It's an affront."

California's Penal Code makes it illegal to carry concealed weapons without a county-issued license. But it is legal to carry an unloaded weapon in plain view in a holster. In most cases, it is illegal for an unconcealed weapon to be loaded.

Taylor, of Arlington, Va., who has a concealed weapons permit in his home state, said he planned to write a letter to the East Palo Alto Police Department demanding that Tuason be fired.

"The targeting, harassment and intimidation of law-abiding citizens who are peacefully agitating for their rights by a police officer is an abomination to the Constitution, and is in fact the exact reason our Founding Fathers created the Second Amendment," Taylor said. "Police officers who think they are going to get between law-abiding Americans and their Second Amendment rightsare going to find themselves in the line of fire."

Tuason's comments were first noticed by California attorney Kevin Thomason, who posted a screen grab of the detective's remarks on his Web site on Sunday.

"[Tuason] didn't realize that actual PRO-GUN people also read Facebook," Thomason wrote. "Amazingly, he posted the following comment about law abiding gun owners on a friend's page. Basically, he's saying 'prone them out' (face down on the ground), and if anyone moves, kill them. I don't make this crap up."

Thomason, a member of the National Rifle Association, wrote that Tuason's comments were "worth a call" to the East Palo Alto City Council, as well as to his superior officers.

Tuason, who has since removed his Facebook profile, did not return messages seeking comment on Friday. He is reportedly being investigated by the police department's professional standards division regarding the Facebook remarks.

East Palo Alto Police Sgt. Rod Norris said he was unable to comment on the matter, but Capt. Carl Estelle told the San Jose Mercury News that police officials must be careful not to violate Tuason's First Amendment rights, since the comments appeared on his personal Web site.

"In no way are his personal comments reflective of any policies or procedures here at the department nor does he speak for the police department," Estelle told the newspaper.

Re: Not an impressive Detective

I don’t know the officer, his sarcasm nor the context of the comments, <span style="text-decoration: line-through">but openly carrying a unloaded firearm in a troubled neighborhood makes about as much sense as Charles Darwin’s natural selection theory</span> apparently he forgot to turn on the brain to finger filter as he was typing.

Recently a few Open Carry groups around my area have found it entertaining to show up outside restaurants and retail stores with handguns, rifles and shotguns openly carried, videotaping police response and actions. They claim to be trying to increase awareness of our second amendment rights. While that goal is admirable, their means of scaring the local populace into calling 911 and tying up police resources with their activism is less so. I can foresee their actions ultimately backfiring on the rest of us!

For his sake, I hope any shooting he's ever involved in is squeaky clean. He really set himself up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but openly carrying a unloaded firearm in a troubled neighborhood makes about as much sense as Charles Darwin’s natural selection theory. </div></div>

You find the theory of natural selection to be stupid?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: line-through">but openly carrying a unloaded firearm in a troubled neighborhood makes about as much sense as Charles Darwin’s natural selection theory.</span> </div></div>

You find the theory of natural selection to be stupid? </div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Oh course. If we were the culmination of evolved species, one of our number (detective or unloaded open carrier) would not have made such a decision.</span> While it would make an interesting debate, likely ending in a deleted or locked thread, it was not my intent for the thread to turn in this direction. Instead my intent was to look closer at what likely caused the detective's frustrations leading to the comments that should have stayed in the locker/briefing room and not out in public available for all to see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but openly carrying a unloaded firearm in a troubled neighborhood makes about as much sense as Charles Darwin’s natural selection theory. </div></div>

You find the theory of natural selection to be stupid? </div></div>

Oh course. If we were the culmination of evolved species, one of our number (detective or unloaded open carrier) would not have made such a decision. </div></div>

So given your broad misunderstanding of Natural Selection...where does it indicate we are the culmination of an evolved species???

Most of the other groups are really decent about their dealings with LE. Theres hundreds if not thousands of 2nd Ademendment rallies ever year, this is the first time I have heard of it being carrying a unloaded open carry deal. Must be Kalifornia laws.

I don't know all the stipulations of the law there but lets say you had your sidearm (unloaded) hanging off your belt right out in the open, and you had a need to use it (let theorise a mugging). One that might carry an unloaded sidearm, might also carry in easy reach the ability to load said "unloaded sidearm". This would put that citizen and a distinct advantage to the muggers or someone being mugged without "unloaded sidearm that is now loaded for use on mugger." Either way, the idea that the yuppies in CA are freaking out make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

First let me say that the officers remarks were unnecessary, as an officer he should be aware (known or should have known) that a comment like that would incite rhetoric that would bring unwanted attention to himself and his department. He will feel the wrath of many pro seconond ammendment groups, and most likely fellow officers. I am a firm believer in, "Do stupid shit, don't say why me." I go back to my old First Sergeant, "That's sum dumb shit!"

http://www.opencarry.org/

We had a discussion regarding this recently. After doing some research, I see that kalifornia, Mexifornia, Californistan, has NO provisions laid out for gun ownership! Amazing! I would have thought this would of all changed with the reversal of the gun bans in Wash DC and Cook co.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Californistan </div></div>

First time I've seen that one, I'll have to add that to my list.

I was born in California but my parent’s had the sense to get out of there before it got stupid. I remember when I was young - early 70's watching my neighbors (Concord, Ca) bring their recently killed deer home and skinned them on a tree in the front yard. I was about 10 at the time so it made quite an impression on me. What has happened to California is a shame. It started out as great state with a beautiful landscape where many people wanted to live. Now, in my parts (not all) the libs have taken over and ruined the one fine state. I would hope that Police Officer is not representative of all in California but his views ring the anti-gun establishment's mantra.

It is always the same – people who get into Politics are a different breed of person. It seems only certain types like to run for office and those that do like to tell us how to live.

Personally, I don't think openly carrying a gun is the smartest thing to do generally speaking. I don't, however, have anything against those who do it. I just won't do it myself. If you want to carry a firearm, get the permits and go about your busniess while keeping the gun concealed. I do understand that in some states, such as California, carry permits aren't easy to come by. Carrying an unloaded gun openly in a bad area is pretty stupid if you ask me, because somebody will try to "cash your check" so to speak, especially if they see that the gun is unloaded. You may as well be wearing a sign that says "free gun to anyone willing to take it from me".

The detective isn't too bright either for making those comments publically on somebody's facebook. He probably does need to be fired. I do agree that the detective probably set himself up to be sued or worse if he ever does get into a shoot. He didn't help himself any, thats for sure.

Chad