• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not Bedding my XLR/Stiller?

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
Doing some end of winter tune up work on my rifle. Upgrading the trigger, different base, better rings. Just some things that a season of getting behind this stick have helped me realize I can make different choices that might suit me a little better on my "I did it myself" budget build before I start going after more coyote in the spring/summer.

As long as I have everything torn apart out of my XLR to replace the trigger anyway, I wanted to confirm one of my build decisions: I did not skim bed the receiver to my XLR chassis last year.

Am I being stupid? Am I giving anything up? It's not a matter of money, I have the tub of devcon, the kiwi, etc, sitting on a shelf behind me. I just couldn't think of a good reason why to bother. Still can't.

I have a stiller action, and an XLR chassis. As long as both of those companies did what I paid them to do (produce quality product within reasonably tight tolerances, OD for stiller, internal surface for XLR), the two should meet up just about as good as any skim that I bother with, without the long term potential for fatigue of the compound, etc.

Always willing to pick up from a more experienced shooter if my thinking is wrong here.

Am I wrong?

I don't see what bedding a chassis would do. If the action is torqued to the spec, installed properly, I don't see what it would accomplish.

If it makes you feel any better I've got a Stiller Tac 30 in an AICS. NO BEDDING... Shoots itty bitty bug holes

Chassis were designed so bedding wasn't necessary anymore. You are fine not doing bedding.

XLR makes a fully inlet chassis, not a v-block. There is no need to bed. It will already be nearly stress free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are looking for that last little bit of accuracy I would bed it. Your have nothing to loose, and maybe something to gain. At least in my experience.

Paul

I had GAP make a barreled action & when I gave them my XLR, they went ahead & bedded the lug area. I've read you dont need to but if GAP recommended it....who am I to say no.