• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOT Chuck Mawhinney's Rifle

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
I was watching TV last night and saw a picture that seemed odd. I did some searching and found the picture online and have a couple of questions, or observations.

Here is the picture
Marine-Corps-Sniper-Chuck-Mawhinney.jpg

The article I found the picture attached to said it is a photo of Chuck Mawhinney, I have since been informed that it is NOT Mr. Mawhinney.

I guess my main question is did AI ever make a wood stocked rifle in nearly the same configuration/shape they currently use? It sure looks like the stock in the picture is made out of wood.

Re: Chuck Mawhinney's Rifle

I think if you look at the scope knob for "Windage" on the rifle you will see a small white logo "AI", which means he is using a Schmidt & Bender scope built for AI. I'm guessing that would pretty well settle the debate on who made the rifle and stock he is shooting. I'm going out on a limb here, but I think he is running an older AI Mark II in .308.

Experts, feel free to jump in sort me out on this if I have crossed the line with my assumption based on an observation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quote :
... " Chuck Mawhinney <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">(not pictured here)</span></span> "

pic. is from this internet reading . In the 1st sentence .

http://military.discovery.com/technology/weapons/snipers/snipers-08.html
. </div></div>

Well isn't that the beauty of the internet? I found the picture attached to this article:

http://semperfiparents.com/2012/06/29/portrait-of-a-marine-sniper/

Well, it looks like this is an AI rifle, it looks to me like the stock could be made of wood. Did they ever produce a wood version?

I'ma go out on a limb here and say wrong pic. Here's why-
At the Oregon Sniper Challenge in 2011, they raffled off a one-off recreation of Chuck's Vietnam rifle. He was there, had zeroed the rifle and started (and signed) the data book. IIRC, it was a Model 70 and didn't look anything like that pic.
If you're interested, Chuck is a hell of a nice guy and gives considerably of himself to the shooting and veteran's communities. He's also got some good stories.

1911fan

this pic is into an article about the top ten snipers ever, not all the pics are related to the subject they are talking about.
Good article wrong pic, pretty simple.

If you zoom in really close, you will see that the stock is not wood... it's been covered with fabric tape. The tape lines are clearly visible... and that green fabric tape makes a great low-budget camoflage. Non-reflective, easily removeable and you can use paint/sharpies on it to add patterns quickly.

I was trying to read what is written on the shooters' wrist. Looks like it might be a tattoo or a wrist band. Might be a clue.

I have a couple of contemporary books by Brit snipers/marksmen. I'll have to take a look and see if that photo is in there. Because I would not be surprised at all if that's a Brit army sniper.

But rifle is an AI. Scope is a SB for AI. Stock is just taped up.

Very neat photograph... thanks for posting!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Re: NOT Chuck Mawhinney's Rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bloody_Tailgate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was watching TV last night and saw a picture that seemed odd. I did some searching and found the picture online and have a couple of questions, or observations.

The article I found the picture attached to said it is a photo of Chuck Mawhinney, I have since been informed that it is NOT Mr. Mawhinney.</div></div>

Correct, that is not Chuck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess my main question is did AI ever make a wood stocked rifle in nearly the same configuration/shape they currently use? It sure looks like the stock in the picture is made out of wood. </div></div>

No, and that is not a wood stock. As mentioned above it's a set of plastic stock sides taped up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'ma go out on a limb here and say wrong pic. Here's why-
At the Oregon Sniper Challenge in 2011, they raffled off a one-off recreation of Chuck's Vietnam rifle. He was there, had zeroed the rifle and started (and signed) the data book. IIRC, it was a Model 70 and didn't look anything like that pic.
If you're interested, Chuck is a hell of a nice guy and gives considerably of himself to the shooting and veteran's communities. He's also got some good stories.

1911fan </div></div>

I'm really glad he's a nice guy. It's easy to get an ego when you've accomplished what he has. Although I think it's a bit backwards. We should be giving back to HIM for everything HE'S done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...I think it's a bit backwards. We should be giving back to HIM for everything HE'S done!</div></div>

IMHO, that sentiment should apply to everyone who has given of themselves uniform. Especially the ones that found themselves overseas on our behalf!

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...I think it's a bit backwards. We should be giving back to HIM for everything HE'S done!</div></div>

IMHO, that sentiment should apply to everyone who has given of themselves uniform. Especially the ones that found themselves overseas on our behalf!

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

Agree 100%. Ya'll did your part to take care of our freedom, take a break and let us pay it forward.