• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Not many were biting

Dead Eye Dick

Command Spec 4 (formally known as Wiillk)
Supporter
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
North Louisiana
But the ones that were, were rather large. They all put up a real fight. With a freezer filled with bream, bass and venison, I have no need for additional fish, so i put these three back. To this old fellow, the joy is to catch them on an ultra light, using 4 pound test line and small beetle spins. More fun and a lot more action than catching the pound and a half bass on 15 pound test and a rod so still, one could use it for a truck axel.

AC7F63DB-294B-4B7C-AAC8-E8F755C8D5AC.jpeg
0ED8554A-EA60-40C4-9DE6-7FD92CD4367B.jpeg
1736EB96-E681-46DF-84FE-69CD180F9E50.jpeg

Dammit they are bluegills, get it straight. Damn southerners…wtf is a bream 🤣🤣🤣
Yep, used the OP’s words, but would catch blue gill, Pumpkin Seed, and yellow perch on my rigs using crappi jigs and it up fish.

In Louisiana, any sunfish is a bream or brim, depending on your spelling. Crappie is a “White Perch“ or Sac-a-Lait and a largemouth bass is a Bass or a Green Trout, depending on the day. Looking at the fishing guide, they call our Grinnell a bowfin? But we all call a catfish…a catfish. Buffalo is a popular non-game fish. Often found in fish markets. I have no clue what people outside of Louisiana call a Buffalo fish.

Remember, in Louisiana, French was our first language unless you speak ben and jerry, In that case, you not very popular anyway. I would still like the folks at ben and jerry ice cream to figure out how to give back southern Ouachita Parish to the people of Watson Brake. I’ll bet those “wise” folks at the ice cream plant don’t even know what language the folks at Watson Brake spoke, much less where they are today.

(Watson Brake, a ceremonial and congregating site along the Ouachita river that is the oldest know mound site in the Western Hemisphere, predating Stone Henge and the Egyptian Pyramids.). There you go ben and jerry, ice cream people, figure it out so we can give that land back.

Getting back to fish, @texastonk reported, “Bream” is a European usage and as I said, French was our first language. Cajun French is still used in our state and permeates much of our English language thus, Bream, Sac-a-Lait

Sac-a-Lait - Sack of Milk. Describing the medium sized fish with firm white meat. Thus sack of milk.