• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not perfect, but....

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
IMPROOOOOOOOOVEMENT!!!

My previous best on the dot drill, was 6 out of 15... Today, I did this

DSC_0408-2-1.jpg

With the rifle, right before it got hung on the fridge...
grin.gif

DSC_0407-1.jpg

Note that this session was all about utilizing the things I've learned in the online training!!! At first, I thought the online training was a crock, but wow it's made a vast improvement in my shooting. Well worth the $10/ month! Matter of fact, I feel like if these little on-line sessions have helped this much, that attending a PR 1&2 class is now in my "must do" list.

Now notice the fuck ups...

First shot out the gate, fucked. No worries, kept bumping along and was doing good... Can any body guess what happened on my next miss (next 2 actually)???

And of coarse, I fucked the last one too...

Also, I ran the whole dot drill dry firing before I actually started.

The 5 shot group on the bottom were checking my zero since I just had a rough zero on the rifle from putting the loaner scope on. I shot the five shots, put .1 mil elevation in, and started the dry fire session.

I'm tickled shitless to see such improvement... It's not 15/15 yet, but I'm on the way...

Re: Not perfect, but....

Let me guess, you were thinking, wow, 8 out of 9, 6 more and this will be my trophy show piece!! damn.....Im off....oh @#$%, I have ruined it, F@#$!! not again....I have got to put mahself together, focus, 1, 2, 3, Im good, this can still be my trophy.....ouch, you last one motha@#$%&, you had to be off......

hehe, just kidding, awesome shooting man, wish one day I can shoot like that, I'll keep practicing.
smile.gif

Dyl..

Nope, but your right on the last one... I have a habit of pulling the last shot.

Another guess? Shot 10 and 11 are off, yet in about the same place. I realized what I had done by shot 12...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Target In Sight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breathing? </div></div>

Nope. One more guess... Think about it... What happens after 10 rounds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">drugs? </div></div>

I was on drugs the whole time, so no.

I stopped to load the mag. When I got back down on the rifle, my sight picture was a little off. I noticed my cheek weld was a little different, and that I was a little too close to the scope.

Masturbating vigorously to Plaster's Ultimate Sniper book?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Masturbating vigorously to Plaster's Ultimate Sniper book?</div></div>

you too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Masturbating vigorously to Plaster's Ultimate Sniper book? </div></div>

hahahaha, you crack me up
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Masturbating vigorously to Plaster's Ultimate Sniper book? </div></div>

I have a strict no tug while shooting rule.... No violations, no matter what the temptation. Not going down that road again...
eek.gif

I noticed the last time I ran the drill that if I stopped and dry fired 5 times between each dot I did SOOOO much better.

I still haven't cleaned it yet, but I am working on it.

I am looking forward to breaking out the times and running the last drill from Lesson 7.

Good job though. It's always great to see improvements!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Masturbating vigorously to Plaster's Ultimate Sniper book? </div></div>

I have a strict no tug while shooting rule.... No violations, no matter what the temptation. Not going down that road again...
eek.gif
</div></div>

Going down on what, my God man, this is a family site!

LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Masturbating vigorously to Plaster's Ultimate Sniper book? </div></div>

eek.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Note that this session was all about utilizing the things I've learned in the online training!!! At first, I thought the online training was a crock, but wow it's made a vast improvement in my shooting. </div></div>

Watching the HR scores a little closer now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Note that this session was all about utilizing the things I've learned in the online training!!! At first, I thought the online training was a crock, but wow it's made a vast improvement in my shooting. </div></div>

Watching the HR scores a little closer now. </div></div>

HR whoops my ass.... I can't seem to catch a break there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HR whoops my ass.... I can't seem to catch a break there. </div></div>

It eats my lunch as well.

Biggest thing that helped me there, is being able to see the wind change, so I am "Not" chasing the last hit. Just make the new call and shoot, before the next change.

I can never tell what the wind is doing there... And I'm always, and I mean ALWAYS holding left. I don't think I've ever held right there, even when I saw the wind coming from 3 o'clock.

Retical Plum or canted? Mines canted for,... and I know you don't want to hear this but,...Spin Drift,... I still had left wind on for a 3:00 wind until I canted 1 moa, for my 1K up.

I spent alot of time the first few match's there, looking at what was working an what was not.

I now read the wind at the target, down there,.. an the 9 an 1K most of the time are the same do to the trees.
Theres at most 3/4-1.0 difference between the 9 an 8 then 1/2 to the 600. But I have shot the hole thing with no wind on at all, also.
Remember I start at the 1K an come back, so I don't have to look threw the extra 2-400 yds with a hot barrel.

Also remember your about 4 foot high at the benchs, an the 1k is about 8 foot in the air, thats one of the reasons the 900 looks to be in a hole. The diff ain't much, but that far out, shooting a 1 moa scoring ring it makes a difference.

My reticles are true, it happens in multiple rifles...

I never thought about the height of the 1000 target.... I know it's not a world of difference, but that explains why my dope always is spot on, then I have to dial down a bit at 1k...

I've been thinking about shooting 1k in, maybe I'll give that a try this weekend.

That HR wind just does crazy shit.

So you just pay attention to the wind at the target? You go by mostly mirage, or the vegitation?

(sorry for the off topic)

A plum retical, will print your 1K dope straight up a plum line on a target 100yds away, from your 100yd zero. Some folks cant the weapon when they get into it w/o knowing their canting.

Wind at target yes, not past it, as past it,...it could be blowing totally different.

I read the mirage as well as the high an low veg, high = about 10-12 feet up the trees.

Often, shooters new to LR think about it as if it's something esoteric. All shooting is the same, the bullet will always go in the direction the barrel is pointed. For LR, knowing where the barrel is pointed demands prone position perfection. Since sight alignment is an angular thing, as well as recoil, anything regarding perspective of aim and/or position needs to perfected to a molecular level. Most folks will never realize such perfection, not because they phyically can't do it, instead, they'll fail to get the job done simply out of ignorance, not ever coming to recognize what's really important to good shooting. They equate executing the firing task with knowing how to shoot, and therefore, do not seek out the sort of training which could help them become exceptional.

How is sight alignment angular with a scope ?

How is perspective of aim and recoil effected by position ?

I think I already proved my point on this but I can do it again.

These are scoped rifles, scoped rifles with parallax adjustments, so how does your iron sighted doctrine equal the same results ?

These seem to be patent answers and frankly, we don't see it applying the same as you do, especially with scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is sight alignment angular with a scope ?

How is perspective of aim and recoil effected by position ?

I think I already proved my point on this but I can do it again.

These are scoped rifles, scoped rifles with parallax adjustments, so how does your iron sighted doctrine equal the same results ?

These seem to be patent answers and frankly, we don't see it applying the same as you do, especially with scopes. </div></div>

Alignment with a scope has one component, a perspective of aim where the eyeball is judged to be square with the eyepiece for a consistently shadowless, or particular shadowed sight picture. With irons, there are two components to perspective of aim, alignment (eye, rear sight and front sight relationship) and hold (the relationship between the front sight and target). Hold, BTW, is not angular. YOu can have a wobble and yet still get a good hit at nay distance. But, you already know this stuff inside and out. With less then perfect (consistent) alignment, with either concept, the misalignment will result in some divergence, which is angular, between perception of aim and where the barrel is actually pointed. The error increases with distance. My point is, it's always about the shooter, not the gun, and, as such, analysis will usually come down to the consistency of the shooter's relationship between the gun and ground. BTW, no patent answers-just shooting facts.

Regarding recoil, it's angular and therefore must be made predictable. Predictable is made possible through a consistent position.

Jrose,
When you did your mag change did you change the load on your bipod as well? That has doomed me more than once and it is subtle enough I dont catch it shooting steel but those fricken dots did. For me at least any variance in bipod loading is minimized on the dirt and maximized when shooting off of concrete.

That is still the most awesome paint I have ever seen. I was on course to throw some chicks on a rifle and cannot bring myself to do it now.

Don't be scared norcal, the bitches give you the edge...

I actually only have one AW mag, so I had to stop and load the mag. I tried to stay in position for the most part, but I had to come out of position a little. I don't know what happened, all I can do is guess. Like I said, I noticed my cheek weld felt a little different, and I noticed when I changed it a smidge, my scope brightened up, so I assumed my head was a little out of position.

As I'm not at a level to where I can self diagnose my problems though, I live in theory...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Often, shooters new to LR think about it as if it's something esoteric. All shooting is the same, the bullet will always go in the direction the barrel is pointed. For LR, knowing where the barrel is pointed demands prone position perfection. Since sight alignment is an angular thing, as well as recoil, anything regarding perspective of aim and/or position needs to perfected to a molecular level. Most folks will never realize such perfection, not because they phyically can't do it, instead, they'll fail to get the job done simply out of ignorance, not ever coming to recognize what's really important to good shooting. They equate executing the firing task with knowing how to shoot, and therefore, do not seek out the sort of training which could help them become exceptional. </div></div>

Not all LR shooting is done from the prone. I've shot over an under armored vehicle tracks, the main tube, between a M113 surf board, from trees, caves, out the door with a chicken strap on, ect. Glad the other guys playing the game did not know all the finer points. Then again we might have just been, that lucky.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Often, shooters new to LR think about it as if it's something esoteric. All shooting is the same, the bullet will always go in the direction the barrel is pointed. For LR, knowing where the barrel is pointed demands prone position perfection. Since sight alignment is an angular thing, as well as recoil, anything regarding perspective of aim and/or position needs to perfected to a molecular level. Most folks will never realize such perfection, not because they phyically can't do it, instead, they'll fail to get the job done simply out of ignorance, not ever coming to recognize what's really important to good shooting. They equate executing the firing task with knowing how to shoot, and therefore, do not seek out the sort of training which could help them become exceptional. </div></div>

Not all LR shooting is done from the prone. I've shot over an under armored vehicle tracks, the main tube, between a M113 surf board, from trees, caves, out the door with a chicken strap on, ect. Glad the other guys playing the game did not know all the finer points. Then again we might have just been, that lucky.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Of course shooting is what it is; that's to say, you shoot from the precribed position, which may, or may not get the job done. But, for the best results, when possible, prone, unsupported or supported, is gonna likey be more stable than alternatives.