• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Not quite so long range shooting scope

Doctawho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
I recently picked up my first .308 bolt action and I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 scope on there that does its purpose. I've got that Midway special Vortex HS on back-order. I live in San Francisco which is very far from any long range ranges. The closest 100 yard range to me is 50 miles away and the closest 1,000 yard range is 125 miles away. Since i'm just starting and the 1,000 yard range is so far away i'm wondering if I should stick with the scopes I have or upgrade for the possibility of getting into real long range shooting in the future. I'm really eyeballing the SWFA SS 5-20 since it's on special and if it hits 10k likes, I might just have to get it.

For 100-200 yards should I stick with my Vortex Viper 6.5-20 or Midway special Vortex HS 5-15 or upgrade to the SWFA SS 5-20x or Viper PST?

Re: Not quite so long range shooting scope

Several 100 yd ranges are 20 miles or less from SF. What you have is fine for a 100 yards but all the scopes you mention are good. Have never looked at Vortex scope. When I was at Sac Valley last summer, 16X was fine for a 1000 yards due to mirage.

Well the obvious answer here is to get the hell out out marin county, or california for that matter. But if you must stay, I would seek out other's who perhaps know where you can shoot(as mentioned above) but for 100 yd shooting, the scopes you have in hand will do just fine. I have a friend who does 600 yd shooting with a 75$ Egay Bushnell, he even took an antelope two years ago at 500 yds. If you have the money though...........

I thought the SWFA "like" coupon for 5-20x had already been released. The 10K likes is for the combo pack of the 5-20x AND the 1-6x.

I realize that all I need is a decent scope but I guess I was looking for someone to talk me into buying the SWFA. I always like nice things!

Here's what I would do if I were in your situation... Pick up the SWFA SS 5-20x50 now for the discount it's on; they don't come around often and it's worth it if you have the need and the coin.

Find yourself a good .22lr and put the Vortex you have on it. That way at the short ranges you can refine your marksmanship and wind calling skills with the rimfire on the cheap, shoot a lot, and save money for good match ammo when you can make the occasional trips to the 1k yard line.