• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not quite stupid.

HKpirate

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2013
Chardon,Ohio
southingtonhuntclub.com
Instead of bringing this up in the bolt forum for the 1000000000th time I figured I'll run it through here.

Getting going on my first bolt action build and my current plan is to chamber in a .260 I will be able to shoot out to 1400 yards regularly and can make trips to shoot further. with that being said most of my time will be within 1400 yards and will be honest and say that most of my time will be from 100-700 yards as that is what the property I live on allows safely. I will be reloading for this rifle.

Now to the nuts and bolts of my issue I want to make sure that I will be happy with this caliber choice. Now I know there are more exotic rounds out there but I want to stay in a caliber that is easy to get parts for reloading with and doesn't require extra time. I know reloading takes time but with factory .260 brass available it will make my life quite easy.

The .308 is boring and wont do what im asking and for what is going into this rifle just a waste.
6.5c is basically a .260 so there seems to be no reason to go with that
now is there any other caliber that I can chamber this rifle in that would give good performance with out being to big of a pain in the ass.

Not quite stupid.

6.5 Creedmore supposedly fixed what was wrong in the .260. I have not shot either. But from my research the are damn near equal. I would choose the 6.5 Creedmore over a .260 only because of more factory ammo than the .260, at least in my area. If you reload, flip a coin.
As far as terminal ballistics, the 6.5/.260 is about the same out to 6-700 yds as the .308. Past 800 is where the 6.5.260 seems to start to really outshine a .308. But nothing wrong with a 6.5/.260 shooting under 800yds either.

Last edited:
I recently received my completed .260 build. I spent about 6 months contemplating .260 vs.6.5C vs. 7mm-08. It was through the use of this forum that I finally decided on the .260.
What I learned was .260 vs. 6.5C ballistics are near identical. 6.5 case efficiency yada-yada. The primary thing I took away was .260 for bolt gun, 6.5C for AR platform. I like bolt guns.
As far as ammo goes, I reload so it was a non-issue. That said, I have had no problem finding .260 factory ammo, it's just expensive. But again, I reload.
.260 brass is expensive too. Lapua .308 brass is $75. Lapua .260 is $100. Thought that was strange considering materials. But I guess less production equals higher price. Go figure. 6.5 bullet selection is excellent so that's a non-issue for both.
So far, I'm super happy with my choice. But I will keep wondering about the 7mm-08. Until I get one anyway.
Good luck with your decision. Hurry up though because it'll take a few months to get your barrel!

I went the 260 route and am perfectly happy.
7-08 would be another fine choice and in my area at least 7mm bullet selection and availability is quite a bit better than 6.5