• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not seeing anything

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
Shoot 13 rounds over the chronograph can't find a flat spot to do an ocw. Plan was to find a spot then go .1 on either side and see how they group

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-110426_Sheets.jpg
    Screenshot_20210927-110426_Sheets.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 65
So guess Satterlee doesn't know anything. First time I've done this and not found a flat spot. My velocities were all over the place it seems

So guess Satterlee doesn't know anything. First time I've done this and not found a flat spot. My velocities were all over the place it seems
Except you have a giant “flat spot” between 41.9 and 42.3

Any variation you see there could be the fact that you’re only shooting 1 shot per charge weight. This is also an extremely common charge weight range that many people settle on, so no surprise there.

That said. I’m also in the pick a velocity and tune seating depth crowd. And when it comes to 6.5 creedmoor, I usually shoot the same load through all my rifles with enough success to not worry about developing a load for each one. AKA, just pick one and get to shooting.

@danatkins do you think every round of a given powder charge weight exits your muzzle at exactly the same velocity?

They don’t. There’s variation around the mean. The more rounds you fire at a given charge weight the more likely you are to find the true mean and the true variance around the mean.

Conversely, the fewer rounds you shoot at a given charge weight the less likely you are to find the true mean and the true variance around the mean.

That’s why shooting a single round or even three rounds per charge weight often shows a “flat spot”, which is just a fragment of normal variation.

Shoot even 5 rounds and the likelihood of seeing a flat spot disappears.

New bullet for me. Main reason for not doing an ocw is saving components. I don't need a .2 grouping load. Like I said gonna try around 43.1 and see how she runs.

New bullet for me. Main reason for not doing an ocw is saving components. I don't need a .2 grouping load. Like I said gonna try around 43.1 and see how she runs.
So instead of taking everyone’s advice, you’re also going to ignore your own desires (there is a clear flat spot between 41.9 and 42.3). What was the point of even posting?

Hey missed that. That's what I get for trying to multitask. Now that I've got food I can think straight.

He absolutely doesn’t know anything about “flat spots.” You can have a big name and mean well and be absolutely and completely wrong.

Do a velocity flat spot ladder test 10 times. You won’t get 10 consistent “flat spots.” If you do, and it continues to be consistent, researchers at MIT and Applied Ballistics would welcome this revolutionary data.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision