• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not snipery AT ALL, but vintage and cool

roostercogburn98

Fudd gun collector extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
Came across this in some travels lately. It has had 3 owners since it has made its way across the pond into the U.S. The first owner was the gentleman that brought it home, the second was my wiffs aunt, and we are the third. My wiffs aunt used this as an everyday riding saddle until she got rid of her horses. It is in the plans to use it on our hawses as well with some minor changes for riding. None of the changes will be permanent, so don’t worry. Figured some of the history buffs round here might enjoy seeing it.

It is an M1925 German Cavalry Saddle circa 1942. Wish it still had all the accessories. I know it needs some cleaning as well.
2571E51A-88EE-4FB6-A5AC-40687F77C1CC.jpeg
9C3CA8DC-4C2C-425A-A1F9-DA77BE3CE855.jpeg
D4715F7B-0B1F-49D6-96E6-F3BA5F7DCAAF.jpeg
B38E235F-2A1D-4802-991A-61FC8FF39AEA.jpeg

That is totally awesome!!!

Wonder how many of those are left…. The Germans had more than a million horses… and saddles were probably saved and reused after the war… so may have “worn out.”

Really cool find!!!

Sirhr
From my basic understanding, the German Reich had around 3.8 million horses at one time(pre 1940). They only used just under 1 million for the war effort(once again my simple research, could be more or less). As the battlefield progressed, they went more modern but never completely away from horses.

I have found(mostly ebay) a few examples of the m1925 for sale, most are old sale ads that have expired though. IMA had one for sale a while back as well.

I’m guessing not a ton of them are still around and serviceable, but maybe that means parts are out there if I decide to chase down all the accessories like saddlebags and rifle scabbards

It is the coolest thing I've seen on SH all week!

Bet you can find accessories. Try ebay.de Use the 'translate' button if you don't Sprechen zee... Lots of euro stuff never gets posted over here. Amazing bargains if you search on the foreign sites. Yes, can be expensive postage. But when you can buy a $1,000 item for $40 because they don't know what they have... postage becomes incidental!

Cheers,

Sirhr

It is the coolest thing I've seen on SH all week!

Bet you can find accessories. Try ebay.de Use the 'translate' button if you don't Sprechen zee... Lots of euro stuff never gets posted over here. Amazing bargains if you search on the foreign sites. Yes, can be expensive postage. But when you can buy a $1,000 item for $40 because they don't know what they have... postage becomes incidental!

Cheers,

Sirhr
Thank you, I sill do some digging as soon as I finish the fuel pump on the beater! Maybe get it cleaned up some and post some better pictures as well.

Reactions: Average guy
Reactions: roostercogburn98
@sirhrmechanic

Will look into that. Have always kept some saddle soap and Lexol around with all the saddles we have. Always up to try some new stuff, and with a recommendation from you, I trust it.

What ya gotta have for that trash? Those are a dime a dozen, hell I got 12 of them

Sorry, have a table at collector association gunshow all day, must brought retardism home with me
You don’t need any real trash, you like quality trash

Another product that I found out by accident that works really well on leather is the hand cleaner Goop. I had some leather that was a mess and I used goop to clean it thinking I didn't have anything to lose. When I got done, not only was it clean, but it was soft and pliable and looked like it had just been oiled. That made me wonder why. When I looked at the label, I found that Goop is pretty high in lanolin.

Nice saddle BTY. The only Military saddles I have are all McClellan's.

Another product that I found out by accident that works really well on leather is the hand cleaner Goop. I had some leather that was a mess and I used goop to clean it thinking I didn't have anything to lose. When I got done, not only was it clean, but it was soft and pliable and looked like it had just been oiled. That made me wonder why. When I looked at the label, I found that Goop is pretty high in lanolin.

Nice saddle BTY. The only Military saddles I have are all McClellan's.
Thanks, good info to know since I keep goop around the house as well! Further cleaning is on hold as I nurse a hand injury for a few days.

This is the only military saddle we have, but have read about some in my research of this one.

Reactions: ZG47A
The wiff took this old saddle out and rode around in it. She said it rode very well, and made you keep a very upright position. Not bad for an 81 year old saddle. View attachment 8223782
You know you didn’t have to put the bag over her head. Rumor has it she is quite the looker!!

Sirhr

The close photo showing the sewing shows the quality. Lost art today. Lovely saddle.
Thanks for posting it.
Definitely not in mass production items. We’ve got a few handmade saddles they are clean and great quality. The prices reflect that though. Most of our riding saddles are made by a place called Henry Miller Saddlery and are fairly nice

The wiff took this old saddle out and rode around in it. She said it rode very well, and made you keep a very upright position. Not bad for an 81 year old saddle. View attachment 8223782

Cool saddle.

Equitation could use some improvement. She should be be much closer to the pommel and with her feet under her and her butt off the cantle.

1694449347462.png

Cool saddle.

Equitation could use some improvement. She should be be much closer to the pommel and with her feet under her and her butt off the cantle.

View attachment 8224939
Depends on the horse and it’s gait. That fat boy in the pic is a 5 gaited racking horse and gets rode a tad different. The saddle style may dictate that style, but she did not want to change the horse and confuse him.

Reactions: 308pirate
Depends on the horse and it’s gait. That fat boy in the pic is a 5 gaited racking horse and gets rode a tad different. The saddle style may dictate that style, but she did not want to change the horse and confuse him.
Totally get that. Never rode gaited horses (mostly TBs and a crazy Lipizzaner) and always on jump or dressage saddles.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Totally get that. Never rode gaited horses (mostly TBs and a crazy Lipizzaner) and always on jump or dressage saddles.
All our horses are Tennessee Walkers, the one in the pic(Quest) is the only 5 gaited we have so far. He has a younger brother that just turned a year old, that he shares same parents with. We are hoping he picks that trait as well. His two half siblings did not get it.