• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not Snipery but vintage

roostercogburn98

Fudd gun collector extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2010
Torn in the middle on this gun. It is an M1 carbine that I have had for years. I have others so losing one would not clear my small gathering of them. It is an IBM/AO production gun. I know IBM only made about 350k carbines with about 50% of those receivers proofed AO. Fairly small number in the grand scheme of things when around 6 million carbines were built in total by all 10 contractors. I also know that AO fanatics love most anything marked AO. What would you do with this carbine, sell or keep.
0046963F-9AB2-44E4-A8AE-3A906789C527.jpeg
4C8ED324-F417-4D5B-86BE-2CA703C18A5B.jpeg
6B3DA218-9642-4F75-92C8-0E25FCF576C7.jpeg

I had the opportunity to do some refinishing on an M1 Carbine recently.

Yours looks a bit more aged than the one I worked on; the difference being the darkening of the old wood finish. That's a typical effect resulting from age and the effects where handling contaminates the Linseed Oil with Gun oil.

I cleaned the wood with alcohol to loosen any gun oil residue, and followed up with OMS (Odorless Mineral Spirits) to loosen up the old BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) that eventually ends up being used on wooden military rifle stocks in civilian hands. Nothing wrong with BLO, it's what I also choose to employ.

After the loosening comes the steel wool. The aged goop need to come off and dawdling doesn't help. I used #3 Grade to begin with. Technique is crucial here; don't let yourself cut away the contours of the wood, especially the ridges and corners. The process is best described as surgical removal. Once the surfaces are free of the main accumulation; put the #3 Grade away and leave it there. What you should have should look like well aged wood with traces of an older finish.

Take O Grade steel wool and gently improve the texture of the remaining surface finish. It should develop the hint of some sheen. Give it another soak and vigorously wipe down with Rubbing Alcohol and Odorless Mineral Spirits. I use the bundled terry bar cloths from Costco. Let it thoroughly dry, then thin out a few ounces of BLO with an equal part of OMS.

Apply the finish mix with a fingerful dotted onto the wood, then rubbed in with the palm. Rub hard, generating friction heat, spreading the dots to fully cover the surface. The heat and friction drives the finish deeper into the wood, creating an durable bond between the mixture and fibrous structure of the wood itself. It also ensures that there is no overload, creating runs and other gack. The goal is to build the finish into the wood, and not atop it. The mixture must be allowed to dry to hardness before applying the next coat. A couple or three coats, hardened; and the next grade of Steel wool (000 or 0000) becomes the polishing medium. Still paying attention to not wear down the ridges and corners; polish the surface until the entire surface is down to the wood grain again. Do this process a few times.

By now, the sheen is building up. What's occurring is that the top finish is getting repeatedly cut away, but the recessed grain is also filling up. The finish will pop when the filled grain and the cut down surface reach the same level.

At this point, a decision needs to be made; Glossy or Satin?

If Satin, one thin coat over the polished down wood surface, harden; done. This is what I think of as a Combat Finish. Classy, but not gleaming so it attracts the wrong kind of attention in the field.

Glossy, another thin coat, hand rubbed vigorously, hardened, and maybe a repeat. That should knock your eye out. This is the Ceremonial Parade Rifle finish; not unlike what you'd see at Arlington.

Over time; the finish may dull and/or darken. No worry; clean with Rubbing Alcohol and repeat the final cut down, recoat process.

Some things can contaminate and ruin this repairability feature of the process. Silicone is no good for these finishes, making it very difficult to get a repair coating to stick properly in a process similar to where silicone contamination causes 'fish eye' in automotive coatings. Urethane looks wonderful; but it may not be repairable without a complete strip. The stuff left in the grain may not allow BLO to be used to replace it again; it may not stick properly.

For the metal, my process is to degrease and clean using the same Rubbing Alcohol and OMS agents. Once clean, handle without fingerprints, and apply Brownell's 44-40 Creme Gun Blue. It works near instantly, but I leave it on until it wants to dry up. I then remove it with Rubbing Alcohol, drying it and immediately following up with a quality gun oil; I use Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. Wash hands well and moisturize after getting the Blueing compound on the skin; Nitrile Gloves may be a good idea. The 44-40 is great stuff, it results in deep black finish.

I have the supreme pleasure of maintaining our VFW Post's eight Ceremonial Parade Garands. This process is the same one I use on them.

Greg

Last edited:
@Greg Langelius * thanks for the process to refinish. I have done a few but not as in depth as that. I will keep in in mind for a shotgun I am working on though. This carbine however will not be restored. It is a CMP gun so will stay as it came from the rack in Anniston when I bought it 13 years ago.

Nice rifle! Always had a liking for M1 Carbines.
I had a hard on for them many many years ago. Between a buddy and myself, we have been thorough tons of them probably. I am down to just 3 and have been debating letting one go to start another project but just can’t make myself do it.

I hate selling any kind of gun that has that kind of history. And of course, well finished it's a showpiece of what gun people really want. I think... I've been wrong before. It depends on what kind of connection you have with M1 carbines. My dad hated them as he bolo'd with one twice in his qualification when he was in the Army. He shot well in Basic with a Winchester M1 Garand. And, because of him, I grew up not liking M1 Carbines, ALL Mausers, and that the only worthwhile civilian rifle to own was a Rem 700. Preferably in .257 Roberts. You see where some of that is good...some (a lot) not so good.

Having sold a lot of guns, some of them good and some more of them really good, I wouldn't part with a gun you really liked unless you had to. In your case, I'd really have to weigh that carbine against the other carbines and if you HAD to sell any of them. People tell you the gun you love is all over the place. I can tell you it takes YEARS to get one back that you like. That's wasted life unless you just like shopping for guns and shooting them is a short term affair.

@Greg Langelius *
I remember those pics of your VFW's parade rifles. OUTSTANDING work!

Last edited:
Reactions: roostercogburn98
I have never shot this particular carbine. I have an Inland I consider my “blaster” which might get shot once a year. My dad loves the carbines and always regretted selling the one he had when we were all kids and I’m sure money was tight. He is 65 and I have tossed around the idea if giving him one to have until he is no longer able to shoot it. I do however look at guns as just that, guns. Would some be hard to replace, absolutely but in the end it is just a material item that can be replaced in time.

I have never shot this particular carbine. I have an Inland I consider my “blaster” which might get shot once a year. My dad loves the carbines and always regretted selling the one he had when we were all kids and I’m sure money was tight. He is 65 and I have tossed around the idea if giving him one to have until he is no longer able to shoot it. I do however look at guns as just that, guns. Would some be hard to replace, absolutely but in the end it is just a material item that can be replaced in time.
I have to post my progress from my last post. As a kid, those were the guns I didn't like. As a much more informed adult I've come to like M1Carbines, I now LOVE all Mausers, and I have many modern rifles.

So, if you ever need to get rid of an M1 Carbine, let me know and I'll be the first to tell you, "I probably can't afford it right now." 😜 😜

• Haha
My dad loves the carbines and always regretted selling the one he had when we were all kids and I’m sure money was tight. He is 65 and I have tossed around the idea if giving him one to have until he is no longer able to shoot it.

That's the answer to your question.

That's the answer to your question.
And it would be a great answer. We have talked about the guns he currently has in his closet of which most are mine from childhood. They all have a heavy layer of dust on them and probably haven’t been shot in 15 plus years. He has had two heart attacks and functions on just about 50% of his heart. Getting out and about is not his strong suit anymore. It would be a purely have and hold relationship with him. I guess that’s a good enough answer though. I only get over to see him about once a year so maybe I could have him save his energy for that time to go shoot a few rounds through it then. Maybe it will be in the mail (legally) to him soon.

I have to post my progress from my last post. As a kid, those were the guns I didn't like. As a much more informed adult I've come to like M1Carbines, I now LOVE all Mausers, and I have many modern rifles.

So, if you ever need to get rid of an M1 Carbine, let me know and I'll be the first to tell you, "I probably can't afford it right now." 😜 😜
Carbines are relatively affordable compared to what some people spend on shooting items it seems. Not cheap like they used to be off the CMP racks 13-15 years ago when they were available that’s for sure

If you have no emotional attachment to it and others so you won't miss it, I'd sell it if you get a good price. CMP carbines are long gone and Garands may be soon.

• Sad
Reactions: sandwarrior
When I say Garands are almost gone all they have listed is Field Grade. I almost ordered a Special Rack Grade in April. Decided to buy an Autotrickler in stead. I will always have my .308 Match Garand though.

If you have no emotional attachment to it and others so you won't miss it, I'd sell it if you get a good price. CMP carbines are long gone and Garands may be soon.
Emotional connection no. I’m more in the financial connection part right now. Not for me, for my kids 25-30/40 years from now when I am worm food. Selling this would inevitably fund something else that would take its place as a safe queen that gets left to my kids. I guess my real question is, would I speculate this thing gaining any real value in the years or would I be better off investing in something I know will climb like a nice Colt SAA or similar object.

Emotional connection no. I’m more in the financial connection part right now. Not for me, for my kids 25-30/40 years from now when I am worm food. Selling this would inevitably fund something else that would take its place as a safe queen that gets left to my kids. I guess my real question is, would I speculate this thing gaining any real value in the years or would I be better off investing in something I know will climb like a nice Colt SAA or similar object.
That's a harder question. I have never looked at buying a gun as a pure investment. Even with the skylarking of lottery money the purchases would be shot once or twice, say a Singer 1911 or an original Armalite. I don't think I could buy a non shooter investment.

Reactions: sandwarrior
That's a harder question. I have never looked at buying a gun as a pure investment. Even with the skylarking of lottery money the purchases would be shot once or twice, say a Singer 1911 or an original Armalite. I don't think I could buy a non shooter investment.
I have a few “safe queens” that I have no intentions on firing. I don’t keep to many around but some are hard to pass on and even harder to make yourself shoot. For instance I have a pair of 1962 K series Colt Frontier SAA revolvers new unfired except factory test firing. One is a 22LR and the other is a Buntline in 22 WMR. I also have a 1914 Colt 1911 pre A1 designation that is US Property stamped, it is an arsenal rebuild and looks like it never saw any action after it was rebuilt. If I get my way, the replacement gun coming from the sale of a few older collectible but not rare or sought after firearms will be a 3rd gen Colt SAA that is “D”series engraved and unfired or cylinder unturned. It is a very early 3rd gen, from the late 60s or early 70s.

While I agree with you to a point of not wanting to collect a gun purely for collecting, some need to be that way and never shot again, just for the fact that they did not make very many or will never make it again and shooting hurts any value they hold or keep.

Reactions: gunsnjeeps