• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Not sure where to put this

Texasflyer

Koala Gladiator
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Texas
    So im at my lgs today checking up on a rifle im having built, buying some ammo and primers, bullshitting with the dudes and i see a 30-06 for sale, for 250 bucks out the door. I have a 1909 argentine mauser that im just not shooting, figure ill let it get older, but i bought ammo for it so having one i can shoot would be nice. I didnt even really look at it good when i bought it. Wood stock and dude said it was a remington, cool. I get home and start to look and its a sporterized 1917 remington. Looking for any info, speculations on the quality of deal i got, if you would shoot it or just put it away also, possible company that sportered these? Looks legit quality wise and there are no reimport markings on the barrel. What do you learned men of the hide think? @sirhrmechanic
    20210614_161811.jpg
    20210614_161823.jpg
    20210614_161845.jpg
    20210614_161858.jpg

Eddystone???

For $250.... I would put a vintage scope on it and shoot the hell out of it.

It's a sporterized military action. Done... adequately. Stock is probably a Fajen and nothing special.

The action is worth what you paid for the whole gun.

Great score! Bet it is more accurate than you think it is ;-)

Sirhr

Eddystone???

It's a sporterized military action. Done... adequately. Stock is probably a Fajen and nothing special.

Sirhr
    I think its just a remington, ive only done some research on it and saw that winchester and remington and eddystone all did them. Figured you guys would know alot more than me about it. The barrel action and bolt all have matching proof marks that look like a hockey team logo
    16237069091218228064584133094400.jpg

Bolt also has the R for remington

Remington built a commercial gun on the P14 action....Model 30.

For awhile the Model 30 was a Navy Match Award and guys that won them liked them.

Yours is a mil model but it does look like someone tried to Model 30 it.

For $250 you have not been hurt.

Only concern is rebarreling.

More so Eddystones I have heard the receivers can crack trying to remove an over torqued mil barrel.

Throw a capped turret 60s era scope on it and get a 100 yard zero.

The hockey logo is the flaming bomb, it is an inspector’s mark. I believe the crossed cannons took it place in the 50’s. Don’t quote me on the date though.

For awhile the Model 30 was a Navy Match Award and guys that won them liked them.

More so Eddystones I have heard the receivers can crack trying to remove an over torqued mil barrel.

It has a 5 groove left hand twist. They cut the barrel down to 22" but it still has matching proof marks. I think i saw that the left hand twist was the first run barrels? Its hard to see in the pic cause of the tapped holes, but it says remington not eddystone. I did find one tiny E stamp on one part of the bolt but the rest i have found are all stamped R. Im pretty excited to shoot it and see.

If the barrel is good you're going to have a great shooting rifle. I customized one back in the 80's (mine is an Eddystone) and I recall the receiver was harder than the hinges of Hell and the weak link was the trigger but I still love it!

i-XXsWVFw-XL.jpg
    That stock is gorgeous. Just a beautiful rifle sir.

Reactions: sandwarrior

Just needs a relief cut.

Upon further inspection, magazine follower,the trigger, bolt keeper and saftey are all eddystone. The bolt body, striker assembly and action are all marked R or remington. The barrel has tons of symbols.

Just needs a relief cut.

Would certainly help.

Consensus among the CMP dinosaurs is some sort of metal bonding or heat treat issue and it seems to be more prevalent in Eddystone rifles.

Knowing its an issue is half the battle.

Getting out the 8 foot breaker bar and doing pull ups isnt always the answer.

Flaming Bomb looks typical.

Never really studied M17s though.

The Cal 30-06 marking and the other markings look odd though....almost foreign.

Something makes me think Thailand.

Any import markings on this?

If it came through the CMP there would be none.

You could ask the CMP to look through their sales records for your serial number....its a pretty light fee.

You could also ask someone at the CMP to do an SRS check (Springfield Research Service) though not a Springfield the researches catalog other rifles when they find mention of them in archive records.

SRS thread here....

Flaming Bomb looks typical.

Never really studied M17s though.

The Cal 30-06 marking and the other markings look odd though....almost foreign.

Something makes me think Thailand.

Any import markings on this?

If it came through the CMP there would be none.

You could ask the CMP to look through their sales records for your serial number....its a pretty light fee.

You could also ask someone at the CMP to do an SRS check (Springfield Research Service) though not a Springfield the researches catalog other rifles when they find mention of them in archive records.

SRS thread here....

No import markings, but the barrel has been cut down to 22", i read that the import marking was usually done under the front sight on the barrel, so if it was imported they probably lopped off that info when they cut 4" off the barrel. Im gonna dig some more and see what i come up with, thanks for the cmp and srs idea.

That stock is gorgeous. Just a beautiful rifle sir.

Thank you sir, this rifle has a great story like many others. I was working as a maintenance mgr. at a GM plant and one day the night shift manager a friend of mine who knew I was a shooter and was building 1911’s at the time, stopped me and asked, “How hard are rifle barrels?” Well, I looked at him kind of funny and said not too hard , not like they're hardened...... why?

He said he had an old Enfield still packed in cosmoline and was going to cut one down and make a lamp out of it. As I recall I scolded him for destroying a great old rifle and walked away. A couple of days later as I was leaving the plant, I passed him, and he said I parked next to you and I got something for you in my truck, laughed and kept walking. On the front seat was a towel wrapped around something. It was this rifle and a the 90% E.C. Bishop stock pictured above.. He said after we talked, he couldn’t cut it up so he gave it to me knowing I would do something good with it. I thanked him profusely and took it home and scrubbed it.

I took it to my local range and after showing it to the owner a friend of mine, I grabbed a box of PMC ammo, an NRA official high power rifle target and went to the 100yd range. I was alone because it was raining so I hung the target and ran back to a bench threw my bag on the bench for a rest and cranked off 3 rounds. I had to stop because the rain was really coming down, I grabbed up everything and ran back inside. On the way back I glanced at the target that was attached to large cardboard backer didn’t see any hits anywhere.

While drying off and talking with the staff I told them I was pretty disappointed with the rifle’s performance and about then one of the guys started laughing and said I’ll take it If you don’t want it! He was holding the wet target and there were there was a one hole three shot group dead center at twelve o’clock just in the edge of the black. Everyone was passing the rifle around when the shop gunsmith and high-power shooter announced that the tip of the front sight was broken off causing the high impact. God only knows how the tip was broken between those monster sized ears protecting it.

I went to work on the stock and glass bedded it and it’s an amazing old gun.

So i bedded the action last night. Mounted a 4 x12 banner scope with some low height warn rings and threw the harris on it. I fired 11 rounds of old 30-06 remington green and yellow box 180 grain core loks at a target at 150 yds. I cant get to the 100 yd area at the moment at my range but i joined a private range that has a 300 yd rifle area today. Anyways i feel like the action has like 20 moa built right into it... i cranked waaaaaay down on a scope that was recently zeroed on a 308. Once i got it close i had 4 rounds left to shoot a group and this is what i got. The very bottom shot is when i got a bit frustrated and shot at the bottom of the target, the two shots at 2 oclock were me dailing it in and the 4 at noon are from me shooting at the bottom of the bullseye.
    20210615_161424.jpg

20210615_161301.jpg

Well, i noticed it had a small crack, so i sanded the stock down and its almost cracked thru the grip on the stock, both sides. Probably why it was so cheap.
    16239349046378247408946573960098.jpg

Gonna repair it today. Using 3/8" hardwood dowel rod. I also cut almost an inch of the buttstock off. The length of pull was way too long for me.

So, i couldnt help myself. The barrel looked like it was contoured by an angle grinder. I spent about 10 hours hand polishing it, the stock is on coat no. 4 tru oil. I know i did a hack job of taking the length of pull down but still, i dont think the trimmed to fit original butt pad looks too bad.
    20210627_153301.jpg

20210630_132435.jpg

Test firing some just middle of the road rounds i made up with 168 grain hornadys, i only had 11 to reload so i just made some meh plinkers. And at 140 yds it had no problem repeatedly hitting a 3" steel plate.
    20210630_132638.jpg

Im trying to decide on cerakote or blue while i get everything polished the way i like. @sirhrmechanic you were absolutely correct, it shoots way better than i thought it would. Cant wait to do a workup on it, im gonna have to bite the bullet and shoot a 40 dollar box of precision hunters for the brass lol.
    20210630_132729.jpg

Soooo glad i bet on this stock, in the sun it is so complex... i didnt really like it much and thought it looked plain.
    20210630_132706.jpg

Even when i first coated it and walked outside with it it was cloudy and i thought it looked pretty plain, then the sun came out and i really examined it and its a pretty peice of wood in my poor opinion. Few more sand downs and coats of truoil and a buff with wax and i think itll be something im kinda proud of.

Decided on blue yesterday. I think it turned out pretty nice. I think cerakote woulda looked kinda cheap on it....
    20210701_070352.jpg
    20210701_070334.jpg

I also blued the ejector and bolt handle but left the bolt itself shiny. Not bad for a 300 dollar total cost rifle.

That turned out great. I have a sporterized 1917 in a bishop stock. It needs a ton of recontour work done to it. I think I might dig it out and get it done before fall. Thanks for the inspiration

That turned out great. I have a sporterized 1917 in a bishop stock. It needs a ton of recontour work done to it. I think I might dig it out and get it done before fall. Thanks for the inspiration
    Thank you, overall with cutting an inch off the butt, fixing the crack, reshaping the stock, bedding, smooting out all the metal.... i would say i put 24 hrs in it and got 4 years closer to carpel tunnel in a week lol. I appreciate the compliment. Cant wait to see how yours turns out. :)

It’s a 60’s sporter with a super cool 3/4” tube weaver scope. I just need to slim the whole stock up. It’s about as ergonomic as a fence post

• Haha
    It’s a 60’s sporter with a super cool 3/4” tube weaver scope. I just need to slim the whole stock up. It’s about as ergonomic as a fence post
    I only do sanding and polishing by hand, no power tools. I will say the metal on this gun is harder than a preachers dick. I polished until.... well, i can switch hands and gain a stroke now.

• Haha
    I only do sanding and polishing by hand, no power tools. I will say the metal on this gun is harder than a preachers dick. I polished until.... well, i can switch hands and gain a stroke now.
    Those old girls are definitely made of some better steel. Hopefully this tight grained walnut stock is harder than woodpecker lips.

Eddystone???

Sirhr
    That's a Remington, not an Eddystone. Good quality action, good barrels for the day. Everything was cut rifled then. As @sirhrmechanic noted, it's probably more accurate than you think. A lot of back and forth between Winchester and Remington fans about which of the makers was better. They are both good. All three were building the P-14 for the British before and had most of the bugs worked out when they switched over to the U.S. Model of 1917.

FWIW, the 1917 was the basis for not only the Remington Model 30 but also the basis for the Winchester 51 (we'll never see one in person probably) and their Model 54. Which, with improvements became the Model 70.

As noted also, shoot it until the barrel melts. Good rifle.

Reactions: Texasflyer
    That's a Remington, not an Eddystone. Good quality action, good barrels for the day. Everything was cut rifled then. As @sirhrmechanic noted, it's probably more accurate than you think. A lot of back and forth between Winchester and Remington fans about which of the makers was better. They are both good. All three were building the P-14 for the British before and had most of the bugs worked out when they switched over to the U.S. Model of 1917.

FWIW, the 1917 was the basis for not only the Remington Model 30 but also the basis for the Winchester 51 (we'll never see one in person probably) and their Model 54. Which, with improvements became the Model 70.

As noted also, shoot it until the barrel melts. Good rifle.
    Not an ERA? Eddystone Remington Arsenal?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Not an ERA? Eddystone Remington Arsenal?

Cheers,

Sirhr
    No, it says Remington right on the action. ERA was a P-14 marking. Eddystone was the U.S. Model of 1917 marking.

Added: FWIW, Eddystone actions weren't the problem. They were hard but good. The problem was over-torqued barrels. As @Bigfatcock noted a relief cut is the best way to alleviate that. Again, not the action or barrel, but they can be damaged when trying to unforce what was forced. Add to that years of minute rust in between the parts adds extra friction. A simple way to save both pieces for use another day.

Last edited: