• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Not your average day fishing

pd721el

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2008
Sioux Falls SD
Well I went Paddlefish snagging for the fist time yesterday. South Dakota and Nebraska both have a Paddlefish snagging season. It is a limited draw like a big game tag, and you are allowed one per tag. SD never has any left over’s. There is a protected slot size for breeders of 35 -45” anything under or over can be kept. I caught 12 with the largest being 44” measured from the eye to the V of the tail. I tagged a 34”. This was a blast and they pull like crazy. I broke the reel on my catfish rod on the second fish and caught most of the big ones with a 7’ med heavy bass rod with 30 Powerepro on it. I was seriously under gunned. These fish eat plankton and the like so you don’t catch them with out snagging. Here are some pics, for reference in 6’, 240 lbs. The top fish was at least 40 lbs.
Picture628-1.jpg

Picture623.jpg

Picture617.jpg

Picture619.jpg

Re: Not your average day fishing

I'd say you did real well...never tried for one buts its fun to stand on the wall below the dam and watch them, there are some real big ones.

No scales on that fish, looks kinda like shark skin?

Awesome! that sounds like a to9n of fun! no scales and no bones_________EAT PLANKTON__________they should taste alright or at least you would think that they do!

You can eat most anything if your hunger enough...lol.