• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Notching a Remington 700 feed ramp.

Knewton85

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
i have found some info on how to do this but I would like some more detail on how to and somepictures of what it should look like. If it is something that someone with limited experience (like myself) should not do, I do not mind taking it to a smith.

The reason: i had CDI inlet my stock and install their bottom metal. I filed the mag release my self, using an AI mag to gauge the seating depth. Filed it just past the point where you had to hit the bottom of the mag to seat it when loaded. Now the problem is that sometimes the tip of the bullet gets stuck under the feed ramp. It don't happen as much with factory ammo but does happen more often with my hand loads due to OAL. In the CDI instructions it says to notch the feed ramp if you encounter this problem.

Any help or info is appreciated.

The rifle is a remington 700 milspec 308 in the HS precision stock that it came with.

Last edited:
How I do it:

I first made a fixture as I do this reasonably often as it's part of an AW magazine modification for an M700. Basically have the action on its back with guard screws pointing up at the spindle. It's best to orientate the action with feelips parallel to the table and the ass end lifted 3 or 4 degrees.

Now its a function of finding the centerline and finding the edge of the feedramp. From there plunge with a 1/4" endmill with the radius of the tool engaging the action. When your done you end up with a half circle cut in the bottom. That's the path of least resistance.

I also machine the entire feedramp and include a slight 1* taper and put a .025" corner radius on the 1/4" radius "notch" feature. It's just to mitigate edges that will chew on brass/bullets. Easy with code, a bit more work on a manual.

If you are of the Dremel "renaissance" crowd then you just have to be very, very careful and have some natural talent. I can't help you there as I suck with those damn things.

Hope this helped.

C.

Reactions: camocorvette
Thanks. Looks like I will be seeking professional help. Haha. I do not have the tools or the know how to do the job right. I appreciate the response. It was exactly what I needed.

Went the air tool and carbide burr route to modify mine. Didn't need much removed. photo51202.jpg
photo51203.jpg

Knewton85;n6323173The reason: i had CDI inlet my stock and install their bottom metal. [/QUOTE said:
If you ever have this done again, just ask Jeff CDi. I don't think he even charged me for it.

You can pay a gunsmith to do it, or you can mark it w/ a dremel and go to town. It's not that big a deal to use a dremel ... just carefully mark a V-notch of where the cut needs to be and go slow and steady. Sure, it's not going to win any awards, but it will get the job done and it works just fine.

I used a 1/4" end mill and cut it about 1/8" deep then radiused the edges where the notch met the feed ramp.
If I didn't have a mill I would have done it with a Dremel, it just would have taken longer.
The notch only needs to be deep enough to be recessed relative to the inside front edge of the magazine, so that there's nothing for the bullet tip to catch on.