• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Note to self: Future Semi-Auto Rifle build

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
Note to self: Future build

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Semi-Auto Rifle build specs</span></span>

Brand: Armalite AR-10
Caliber: .260 Remington
Upper: Flat Top, and MUST have Forward Assist!
Trigger: Geissle Match Rifle 1.3 – 3 pounds
Barrel: Krieger/ABS wrapped 16.25" 1:8 twist
Flash Hider: Vortex brand
Iron Sights: already have folding type
Gunsmith: Jense Precision -or- GAP -or- ?

Stock: Collapsing type, which Brand?
Pistol Grip: Hogue?
Hand Guard: Picatinny rail type, which Brand?

What else am I missing?

Re: Note to self: Future Semi-Auto Rifle build

Magpul PRS stock (adj. LOP, comb)
lightest tube you can swing, weigh em. Bear in mind on round tubes you can drill and tap (if not already done) for picatinny rail attachments, a lot of em have slots to attach rails to. End up realizing if u get a quad rail, that you seldom even use all that real estate for mounting anything and having a regular tube will save weight and make it more handy to shoot with. My recommendation is to get a longer tube, perhaps 12" or so for 2 reasons. If you mount a bipod to the rifle having the longer tube gets your rest further out and it will feel more stable than if you had say a 7" quad and attached the bipod behind the gas block location. Second reason, if you have BUIS on your gun the longer tube gives you a longer sight radius when you mount your front sight at the end of the tube. Of course this setup may necessitate the use of a low-profile gas block, but then again you could get a barrel with a gas port further out and it might not be an issue..

Pistol grips, feel em out. Thats entirely user preference. Some people like a fat grip so they can't quite wrap their fingers all the way around or to fill up their palm, others like a thinner grip that lets them get a chokehold on the gun. Trigger finger placement is sometimes dictated by the type of grip you have. 2 features in AR pistol grips I look for as a personal preference are: 1, does the grip cover the seam between the grip and the receiver? (a back strap of sorts, this area rests up against the web between your thumb and index finger) and 2: does it fill the 'gap' underneath the trigger guard ears. (this may not be an issue on all lowers, some have this area already filled). These are my comfort concerns, everything else is just tacticool stuff. Storage, adjustable backstraps and palms, you can keep that stuff.

Re: Note to self: Future Semi-Auto Rifle build

I would get a tube type fore end like on the Larue OBR. 4 sided rail fore end's add a lot of weight.

I would also use DPMS type receivers. You can use PMAGs in them and the DPMS-style seems to be getting a lot more common than the Armalite.

-dan