• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOTE to trigger manufacturers

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
Henceforth, the shoe of the Timney 517 shall be your blueprint for products offering an option for a flat trigger face. You'll note that it is wide, ribbed for our pleasure, and features no #&$%ing nubbin at the bottom of the shoe. Nubbins are uncomfortable and unnecessary. Stop it.

Even Timney themselves underestimated the brilliantly simple design of the 517 shoe and chose to go another direction on the Calvin Elite flat shoe, but make no mistake, the 517 shoe is the gold standard by which all others shall be judged.

Thank you, and may God have mercy on your soul. Thus concludes this announcement; now back to your regular programming (read: arguments over which short action 6mm chambering is the bestest ever, and just why .308 Win will never die).

Flat triggers.jpg

It’s just too bad the perfect trigger shoe has to be attached to a Timney though...
Eh, I like the 517 well enough for what it is, but agree that there are other triggers that I like more. As you mentioned, though, the flat shoe offerings on those other triggers just falls short of the superior shooter-to-trigger interface offered by the 517.

I’m probably going back to a 517 on my next rifle, to match the one that has been on my main match rifle for about 7 years. I bought a TT Special with flat shoe ‘cause I liked how it felt at the NRA show, but still like the 517 better. I’m aware that I’m likely in the minority on this, but care not. It just works, every time, without fail.

Much as I'd love to cut against the grain; for positional shooting the beer can grip and the flat shoe just works better. It always looked uncomfortable to me till I started shooting one, then I was like
tenor.gif

The nubbin helps figure out consistent finger position if you’ve modified ergonomics of a rifle. The vertical ribs make it easier to get grip in a direction other than “straight back”, which again can be less than optimal if you’re learning new ergos.

I’d rather see replaceable trigger shoes as the standard so we can all have what we want.

I like where @gnochi is going! User swappable trigger shoes for everyone!!!

I still have a Timney 517 that has been on my rifle when the only trigger options we had were Timney or Jewell. It has never failed me once. It has been to a hundred matches in dusty, windy, rainy, muddy, you name it conditions and it has always made the rifle go bang.

Reactions: lash
People still buy timneys?
Sure. They're plenty affordable (especially if you get them on sale), and perfectly serviceable for plenty of applications. For instance, on most of my hunting guns, I like a trigger in the 1.5-2.0 pound range, and the 517 is absolutely capable of that.

As for removing nubbins with a grinder, I agree... it's easy work... that shouldn't have to be done. I get the purpose of the nubbin in regard to finger positioning, but find that they irritate the "pad" of my trigger finger quite easily.

On the subject of replaceable shoes, I think that's a great idea! Kinda similar to replaceable selector switches on ARs... I understand that there would be some engineering involved, but I think that it'd be a great differentiating feature for a manufacturer to offer.

Sure. They're plenty affordable (especially if you get them on sale), and perfectly serviceable for plenty of applications. For instance, on most of my hunting guns, I like a trigger in the 1.5-2.0 pound range, and the 517 is absolutely capable of that.

As for removing nubbins with a grinder, I agree... it's easy work... that shouldn't have to be done. I get the purpose of the nubbin in regard to finger positioning, but find that they irritate the "pad" of my trigger finger quite easily.

On the subject of replaceable shoes, I think that's a great idea! Kinda similar to replaceable selector switches on ARs... I understand that there would be some engineering involved, but I think that it'd be a great differentiating feature for a manufacturer to offer.

Timney has CEs with replaceable trigger shoes.

Reactions: gnochi
Timney has CEs with replaceable trigger shoes.
I'm not talking about the little plastic clippy-things. I'm thinking more along the lines of something like a Tikka bolt handle... where the entire "user interface" can be replaced.

Well, THERE we go. Just need to make one that mimics the shape and texture of the 517 shoe.

I just wish it were the rule and not the exception! Getting a standardized and simplified interface that’s reasonable to machine to get the exact shoe you want, or “shoe blanks” that you can file, would be a very nice touch as well...

I'm not talking about the little plastic clippy-things. I'm thinking more along the lines of something like a Tikka bolt handle... where the entire "user interface" can be replaced.

Not sure about the bolt gun ones, but the AR with replaceable shoes isn't plastic clippy things.

Not sure what you're referring to , but the adj CE has shoes that are not only different shapes (and not plastic nor 'clippy'), but also offer lop adjustment so you can get a good 90 degree finger

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm