• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Notes from McMillans on ordering stocks from us.

Dick D

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2002
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks
There is a question that the ladies on the order desk will always ask that seems to be causing some confusion and problems with our customers. It concerns the length of the straight cylinder section on a custom barrel. The barrel makers ship their blanks with a straight cylinder section at the breech end of various lengths. A Kreiger #5 ships with a 2.75" section, a Shilen may have a 3.0" 4.0" depending on contour, etc. A part of this is threaded to screw into the end of the action. For a Remington it's usually about .780", for a Defiance long tenon action it is about 1.4", etc. Also, a gunsmith may cut part of this off depending on the caliber and the weight the customer wants the rifle to weigh.
What we need to know to inlet the stock properly is the length of this straight cylinder section from the front end of the receiver to the first contour break where the barrel starts to taper Again this need to be measured from the front of the receiver (not the recoil lug) out to the first break in the contour. This is a optional length for the customer and/or gunsmith to decide. In all our action programming there is a location code called the G54 location which indicates the very front of the receiver. When we run the barrel channel we simply indicate on this G54 location and run the barrel channel from there. This way our barrel channel programs work with the actions like a Remington or Defiance which have a sandwitched recoil lug between the barrel and the receiver, and on actions like a Winchester or Sako which do not. Also, since the recoil lug recess is cut directly in front of this G54 location it doesn't matter what recoii lug thickness you use, from .187" to .375" it doesn't effect this "front of receiver to first break in contour" length.
We get quite a few stocks back where this length has been inletted too long because of customers not understanding what we are asking for and giving the wrong length. Refilling and re-inletting the barrel channel is costly, and if we ran it at the length the customer requested then we will usually charge them for it. I hope this helps smooth some of these problems out.
Thanks, Dick

Re: Notes from McMillans on ordering stocks from us.

Dick, I am curious why your SSG69 stock costs so much more as compared to other stocks? Over 850 for SSG69 is hard to justify (for me) if I can get an A-5 for 600. Hope the prices equalize

OOO1, The SSG stock is priced exactly the same as all the other tactical stocks. Price depends on options. The ones we try to keep on the shelf is equiped the way Steyr used to order them with a thumbweheel cheekpiece, spacer system, forearm accessory rail, rail adaptor and rear stud.
It must have one of the adjustable cheekpiece options as there is no one-piece fixed buttstock mold for this model, just the two piece mold for an intergral cheekpiece. But you can order one with the standard adj. cheekpiece, a pad and two studs for $695.

Dick - I encountered this exact question on a recent order. When asked about cylinder length, I simply responded the barrel specified would be a Bartlein #7 from GAP. This seemed to answer their question, I do recall bouncing some emails between McM and GAP to ensure everyone was on the same page.

My question: would simply specifying the barrel make and taper answer this question, or does the customer need to determine cylinder length as well to ensure the stock doesn't need to be re-inletted?

Lazlo, On these big heavy straight taper barrels the taper is so gradual that you may not notice any difference. According to Bartlein's chart their blanks only come with a 2.75" straight section. A typical Remington thread of .780 length would leave a straight cylinder of 1.970". Most of our barrel programs are written with a straight cylinder of 1.5" so if we ran our standard program you probably wouldn't see the difference. If you take a blank like a Krieger #17 or #18 which comes with a 5" straight shank and threaded it for a Remington without cutting the shank shorter then you would have about a 4.25" straight section and if we ran our standard program of 1.5" then you would probably see the difference.
These big straight taper barrel programs are written with about .050" of float around them so we do not have to be as precise as we do with the light sporter taper barrels with a fairly sharp shoulder.

I forgot to mention that on the stock designs that only made with the buttstock and comb seperate, like the SSG, SBS and Adj. A3-5, if you do not want an adjustable cheekpiece you can order the stock without any of the cheekpiece hardware installed. You can just glue and screw the cheekpiece solid to the buttstock and save another $116. We do occasionally have customers do this, just specify "no cheekpiece hardware installed". You must glue or screw them on yourself.

This screwed me up too when I went to your office in Jan.

I have an FN SPR action and a Lt. Palma and I got an A3 with a 1.5" cylinder measurement, the uncut Lt. palma is 2.5"....

Did I f*ck it up?!
eek.gif

If I did f*ck it up, I just ordered it Jan 24, 2011 can I change the measurement?
cry.gif

Mark Gordon your getting my parts will this work?!
eek.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OOO1, The SSG stock is priced exactly the same as all the other tactical stocks. Price depends on options. The ones we try to keep on the shelf is equiped the way Steyr used to order them with a thumbweheel cheekpiece, spacer system, forearm accessory rail, rail adaptor and rear stud.
It must have one of the adjustable cheekpiece options as there is no one-piece fixed buttstock mold for this model, just the two piece mold for an intergral cheekpiece. But you can order one with the standard adj. cheekpiece, a pad and two studs for $695. </div></div>

Dick, thank you for the info. I must have missed these details. I will go to your website to read carefully

Jeff

18Echo,
Well, since I don't do the barreling I don't have all the different action tenon lengths memorized but I think the Winchester/FN actions are .728". If this is wrong would some gunsmith please correct me.
So, If you use the full length blank then your cylinder length would be 1.772". If the barrel is not installed yet just have the smith install it at 1.5" or call and change the cylinder length on your stock order to 1.77"