• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Novak 1911 rail installation

christian77

Sergeant
Minuteman
I'm interested in having a Novak picattiny rail installed on a 1911, but have a couple Q's for you 1911 gurus...
p_662000078_1.jpg

1. Does anyone have one installed and if so, how does it fair with say a TRP per holstering? I have an MC Operator with an integral rail and it would be fabulous if a Novak railed 1911 holstered smoothly into my pre-existing rail holsters (Kydex).

2. How difficult is the installation? I sure as hell don't plan on doing it myself, but if it's not brain surgery installation...safe dropping it off at my handy/competent local smith...or is this something that needs to be handled by a 1911 smith that has experience installing these? Seems fairly straight forward, but never know.

Re: Novak 1911 rail installation

I have put some different ones on before, but can't speak as to how they would fit in a holster for another.

Installation is pretty basic if you have the tools to drill and tap three hole in the center of your dust cover. A mill works best, but a motivated hobbyist could manage without one.

You will need a dremel to shorten the screws and smooth everything up once they are installed .

Chris, I'd recommend sending your TRP and Novak 1911 rail to Springfield Armory's Custom Shop for installation; their customer service and warranties are legendary.

Thanks for the info RAD...sounds like my local smith can do it up for me.

Bach, part of the problem is, I'm looking to have the Novak installed on a Nighthawk Custom 1911....my SA 1911 already has a rail. I'm just hoping that once I have the rail installed on the Nighthawk, that it will holster into my SA's holsters. I have no idea how "off" the dimensions will be between pistols and rails.

doorkicker,

You might try dropping Wayne (Novak) an e-mail and seeing if he might be able to give you some insight on the holster compatibility issue. I have been to his shop (about 2hrs from me here in WV) and I have seen his install jobs on these rails which are VERY nice. I'm sure he'd be glad to shoot you an e-mail and go over any questions/concerns you have. I do know that he advertises that once his rail is installed on a 1911 that the pistol will function properly with any holster made for a light-rail equipped 1911, but again...I can't say for sure about your Nighthawk.

You can reach him at [email protected] (remove the "NOSPAM").

Good luck!

I installed a Novak on a duty gun (Kimber)not mine) . The Safariland holster required mod.. The rail is a little to thick which would not allow the pistol to fit in the holster. I took the holster apart and removed the layer of Kydex that the tension screw pushes against. The tension screw was not used just the pinch bolt on the bottom of the holster for the tension necessary to retain the pistol.

So I would find a different rail. I have used three Caspian rails.. They fit the holster fine with no extra mods.