• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Noveske Afghan

TravisB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
Harrisburg, North Carolina
I'm looking for my first AR type rifle and I like the Noveske Afghan uppers. The upper I want lists for $1445 and complete rifle list for $2555. I can get a LMT lower for around $550. Am I missing something? Thats a $600 dollar difference on the lower. Is there that much of a difference in there lowers accuracy wise?

Re: Noveske Afghan

Nope. The only way a lower affects accuracy is through the trigger, and those are changeable.

the advantage is that you put $600 in john Noveske's pocket by buying from him
smile.gif

Just kidding, you'd have to look at the parts they use and compare, but doubtful you will find a $600 difference.

I agree. Many times the differance in price simply comes down to who's stamp you want on your reciever. Some times the two said recievers where born in the same shop. Not always, but some times.

I would just buy the upper. I assume for $550 you're talking about the lower with SOPMOD stock and 2 stage trigger?

If it were me and assuming you want to buy the lower complete, I would just get the standard trigger lower ($450), then spend $200 on a SSA-E. You'll end up with a better trigger for a total between $2100-2200 after shipping and FFL.

BTW, Ranier has the Afghan 14.5 upper for $1341.45

+1 on that ssa-e trigger. I said it before and I will say it again.....I can't see my self using anything else after using one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just buy the upper. I assume for $550 you're talking about the lower with SOPMOD stock and 2 stage trigger?

If it were me and assuming you want to buy the lower complete, I would just get the standard trigger lower ($450), then spend $200 on a SSA-E. You'll end up with a better trigger for a total between $2100-2200 after shipping and FFL.

BTW, Ranier has the Afghan 14.5 upper for $1341.45 </div></div>

Yes. I was wanting the Sopmod stock. I didn't think about getting the standard trigger then upgrading to the SSA-E. Is that one a two stage as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TravisB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MM1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just buy the upper. I assume for $550 you're talking about the lower with SOPMOD stock and 2 stage trigger?

BTW, Ranier has the Afghan 14.5 upper for $1341.45 </div></div>

Yes. I was wanting the Sopmod stock. I didn't think about getting the standard trigger then upgrading to the SSA-E. Is that one a two stage as well?</div></div>

yes, SSA-E is 2 stage

Another thing...

I'm not sure if my facts here are 100% but I think they are pretty close. When you buy a complete rifle you pay something like 10% in federal excise tax, whereas when you buy seperately you do not. That could be part of the price difference you are seeing.

If you're real picky about appearances, not everyone's black is the same. But they function fine.

The standard trigger is single stage. The SSA-E is two stage. Look in group buys, Cliff Decker had a Noveske group buy going and it saved money. I think it is over, but he has them occasionally. The Afghan is a very nice handling rifle.

I built my lower myself then ordered an Afghan Upper.

It was nice to put half the gun together myself, I learned quite a bit about the functionality.

I installed an SSA-E, since then I've purchased 2 more.
Really fantastic trigger.

The BUIS included on rifles account for $200 of the difference right off the top.

Now you are looking at $400 for the complete lower parts.

Im going to do the same set up with a lmt lower and recon upper...even looked at buying it in parts and would still cost more.