• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noveske N4 Afghan vs HK MR 556A1 TRADE?

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    I am trying too work out a trade for an HK MR556A1 for my Noveske N4 Afghan N4 with Mur receiver. the other side wants $1000 plus my Noveske N4 Afghan which I think is to much. 2 questions

1. What do you think is a fair price differential (both are lnib)
    2. How does the MR556A1 shoot? My CL Noveske will shoot around 0.75 moa sometime better.
    TIA

Last edited:
    One word. Why.

With H&K you are paying big $$$ for the name, granted similar with noveske. I'd say the swap is a step to the side as opposed to a step up or down.

I am trying too work out a trade for an HK MR556A1 for my Noveske N4 Afghan N4 with Muir receiver. the other side wants $1000 plus my Noveske N4 Afghan which I think is to much. 2 questions

1. What do you think is a fair price differential (both are lnib)
    2. How does the MR556A1 shoot? My CL Noveske will shoot around 0.75 moa sometime better.
    TIA

I have the H&K. It shoots like a dream. I have compared this to Bushmasters, LWRC and BCM. It is very fast shooting also. The down sides are the weight and the heavy recoil buffer spring. The accuracy is about 1 MOA. It is more my battle rifle set up as opposed to my accuracy rifle. My BCM Mk12 Mod 0 is the accuracy king for 5.56 endeavors.

I would not trade my H&K for anything else. It has NEVER failed. It is super easy to clean. It is super reliable. I do not regret the purchase one bit. I purchased my H&K for $2,800, if that helps.

Let us know what you eventually do on your decision. I am curious myself.

One word. Why.

With H&K you are paying big $$$ for the name, granted similar with noveske. I'd say the swap is a step to the side as opposed to a step up or down.

Well I have an MR 762 and it shoots much better than any other of my 308 AR's which includes LMT MWS, POF P-308, SIG 716, Armalite AR10. Since I also have another Afghan N4 SS barrel and monolithic receiver I thought the MR 556A1 might shoot better than my CL N4. If they do not shoot any better than I wouldn't do the trade even if the price difference was right. That is why I asked about how well they shoot. Which is my prime concern. I agree it's a side ways move if their isn't a significant difference in accuracy.

Based on NevadaZielmeister post above and comparing what I paid for the N4 and he paid for the HK the price difference is more in line with the $500 I think it's worth. But the 1 moa is disappointing since my neither of my N4's has never failed me in the years I have had them. I was hoping the groups would more in line with the 0.5-0.6 moa groups I get with my MR 762 with my hand loads.

Last edited:
    I love my Noveske. It's as reliable as the day is long. More accurate than I am. Extremely soft recoil and the gas system is simple and effective. My N4 has the stainless barrel with the mod 0 chamber. I wouldn't trade it strait across for HK's copy of their own 416. If you have drank the gas piston cool-aid and want a piston then the HK has the best system. LMT and LWRC are very close seconds. For a little more, Marvin Pitts can re-barrel a LMT MWP with a Noveske barrel. That would be the best of both worlds.
    To answer your question, I think your upper plus $700-$750 would be fair.

I love my Noveske. It's as reliable as the day is long. More accurate than I am. Extremely soft recoil and the gas system is simple and effective. My N4 has the stainless barrel with the mod 0 chamber. I wouldn't trade it strait across for HK's copy of their own 416. If you have drank the gas piston cool-aid and want a piston then the HK has the best system. LMT and LWRC are very close seconds. For a little more, Marvin Pitts can re-barrel a LMT MWP with a Noveske barrel. That would be the best of both worlds.
    To answer your question, I think your upper plus $700-$750 would be fair.

I haven't drank the piston cool aid I was just asking to determine if the MR 556 was more accurate than my CL N4 and what would be a fair price differential between the two. I would never trade or dispose of my SS N4 Monolithic Receiver Afghan as it is the most accurate of my 556 platforms.

No way I'd make that swap with the added cash. Like the person above said, it's more of a sidestep than an upgrade. I'd save your money for some upgrades or something for the noveske you already have.

Well I have an MR 762 and it shoots much better than any other of my 308 AR's which includes LMT MWS, POF P-308, SIG 716, Armalite AR10. Since I also have another Afghan N4 SS barrel and monolithic receiver I thought the MR 556A1 might shoot better than my CL N4. If they do not shoot any better than I wouldn't do the trade even if the price difference was right. That is why I asked about how well they shoot. Which is my prime concern. I agree it's a side ways move if their isn't a significant difference in accuracy.

Based on NevadaZielmeister post above and comparing what I paid for the N4 and he paid for the HK the price difference is more in line with the $500 I think it's worth. But the 1 moa is disappointing since my neither of my N4's has never failed me in the years I have had them. I was hoping the groups would more in line with the 0.5-0.6 moa groups I get with my MR 762 with my hand loads.

Hi samnev,

You know me and my feelings about HK. In this case, you are correct regarding value. $500 is a fair price when you are throwing in the Noveske. However, the MR556 is not designed for top accuracy.

If accuracy is your primary criterion for selection, keep the Noveske. You will be disappointed with the MR556. I have a buddy with the MR556, it couldn't keep up with my SL8-1.

Just my 2 cents

BR,

Thanks Guys, The consensus seems unanimous. Since an increase in accuracy is important to me and I have always followed the right path when I listened to the advice of hide members I think i'll cease my quest for a 556A1. Especially since the accuracy is not what I expected and a $1000 ask for a trade.

Thanks Guys, The consensus seems unanimous. Since an increase in accuracy is important to me and I have always followed the right path when I listened to the advice of hide members I think i'll cease my quest for a 556A1. Especially since the accuracy is not what I expected and a $1000 ask for a trade.
    FWIW, I've posted my target shot with 55 gr in your thread at HKPro. Heavier loads, like 77 gr, can get you better results. With hand loads and time you can achieve even more. HK barrels get better with time.

Hk makes a great gun but you have to remeber that in the latest go round with the armys IC program, hk was not able to prove to the army that it was worth the premium. No vendor was. Considering that hk AR's never had the reputation for being world beaters in accuracy department I dont really see a point in trading into a less accurate weapon with simalar reliability.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If you have a 14.5" chrome lined N4 Noveske it is not a Afghan. It may be a N4 Lo-Pro with a MUR receiver and SWS Noveske marked handguard that mimics an Afghan but, it is not a true Afghan. Afghans were only offered with stainless steel barrels.

Regardless, I wouldn't make that trade.

If you have a 14.5" chrome lined N4 Noveske it is not a Afghan. It may be a N4 Lo-Pro with a MUR receiver and SWS Noveske marked handguard that mimics an Afghan but, it is not a true Afghan. Afghans were only offered with stainless steel barrels.

Regardless, I wouldn't make that trade.

I agree I am not making the trade. A few guys from HK Pro PM'd me rather than post their negative feeling about the MR 556. One said he would be crucified if he posted his experience. Below are old photos of my 2 N4's perhaps you can shed more light on the top N4 as to what model N4 it is. I can't find the papers but I am sure it was sold to me as an Afghan. Perhaps only an N4.
    The top one is the N4 with the MUR receiver and CL barrel and does not have an SWS quad rail. I have an Armalite with the SWS wad rail and it is stamped as such. The top N4 does not have the SWS stamping
    The bottom N4 has the stainless steel barrel and monolithic receiver.

Last edited:
    You appear to have a N4 Lo-Pro in the top pic. These are offered in a variety of barrel lengths.

The bottom pic appears to be a 14.5" Afghan with the Vltor VIS monolithic upper.

Both are damn fine weapons in anybody's book.

Here's my Afghan.

You appear to have a N4 Lo-Pro in the top pic. These are offered in a variety of barrel lengths.

The bottom pic appears to be a 14.5" Afghan with the Vltor VIS monolithic upper.

Both are damn fine weapons in anybody's book.

Here's my Afghan.

Thanks for the 411. I could have sworn Both were N4 Afghan's. But since I can't find the sales paper work I guess it's an N4 Lo-Pro.
    Nice stick by the way. The mount appears to be a LaRue but what scope are you using on you rig.? I think I see an Aimpoint as well. I like the UBR stock as well. Love the Afghan's mine will be the last 556 AR I'd ever think of reselling.

Last edited:
    Do not trade unless you getting $500 cash back and the Hk for your Afghan. A lot of people hate to admit this but 30% of Hk's price is the lettering "Hk".

Yeah it's a LaRue SPR 1.5 mount. The scope is a Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 which does a great job.

I took that pic for one of those "If you could only have one do all AR" threads. That's why the Aimpoint is in the pic. I could swap out magnification for the RDS very easily if needed.

Do not trade unless you getting $500 cash back and the Hk for your Afghan. A lot of people hate to admit this but 30% of Hk's price is the lettering "Hk".

Due to all the advice given by the Hide members I have decided not to trade my N4 for the HK. The opinions on the trade were so one sided against the trade it made the decision easy. Thanks for the feedback.

Thank God you did not trade. My buddy had one and it was a huge piece of craps. Hk that is the noveske ar rifles are sweet