• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noveske N4 Receiver Question

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I have an opportunity to possibly buy a Noveske N4 lower receiver for an AR15. The seller says this is a "B" series serial numbered unit, which is supposedly more rare, or valuable than the "E" series. Can anyone speak to that. I like Noveske lowers, but am not going to pay extra for the "B" unless it really does have some extra value. I am OK with paying a bit extra for something more rare or higher quality. I just don't know if the "B" series N4 is.

Thanks.

- Phil

Re: Noveske N4 Receiver Question

I thought the "B" series N4 lowers were the blemished versions. A while back, Noveske ran a set of receivers that had a defect in their process and left marks on the receiver. They subsequently fixed it but many got into the hands of customers....

Make sure to check if that is the case here. Many folks were very unhappy with the blemished versions (which they referred to as "B" from memory) and either returned or sold them off.

There were a small batch that were blemished. Not all of them. Just check which one you're getting. The blemishes were minor in some cases hardly noticeable.

There isn't much definitive information on it, but it appears that a "2" was stamped into the bottom of the receiver, visible from the top, near the safety selector. Whether this was done to all blemished receivers, I don't know. I do know, from a interview transcript with John Noveske, that the "B" series was a limited production run by LAR Manufacturing. The "E" series is the current run I believe and in the interview, John says he has or is using Continental Machine Tool (CMT).

The receiver I am looking at does not have a "2" stamped in it, but if the perception is that a "B" series is a defective series, I don't want it.

- Phil

If its a defect in the finish, who cares? Unless you plan on sleeping with this thing, it will wear eventualy.

But it will match its bigger brother in the safe, the Noveske N6 lower based AR-10! - Phil