• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noveske upper to lower fit

Tangodown911

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
West metro Atlanta, GA
I would expect the complete rifles they build are water tight when it comes to fit. But... How about buying an upper and the getting a stripped lower built out. Anybody have any experience with building out a lower and mating it up to thier uppers? Fit and feel?

Re: Noveske upper to lower fit

I have put several together and it is hit or miss. What I have noticed is that uppers and lowers produced around the same time usually fit better. TD is right, a $4 Accuwedge will lock it up tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you own a noveske?</div></div>
Yep..have a noveske n4 lower under an ops-4 side charger upper. Are you worried about matching the pair or fit and function?

My observation has been that VLTOR upper receivers fit the tightest on a variety of receivers.

Standard uppers are a crap shoot.

I have a couple Noveske uppers for my LMT SBR lower and both are extremely tight.

Awesome info.

In the past Ive found the lmt MRPs with doublestar and bushmaster stuff be a near custom fit while spikes lowers were a rattle trap with MRPs. My stags fit were perfect too. I guess it is a crap shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple Noveske uppers for my LMT SBR lower and both are extremely tight. </div></div>

So how do they shoot brother?

I have a Noveske complete upper on top of a Stag arms lower and it is a tight fit. I do not use the accu wedge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff1383</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you own a noveske?</div></div>
Yep..have a noveske n4 lower under an ops-4 side charger upper. Are you worried about matching the pair or fit and function? </div></div>

I have just about the same setup as yours. I have a spikes tactical lower with a mega side charging upper and noveske barrel/ handguard. The fit on that combination is tight and have no issues. If you want to ensure a tight fit, look for a lower that has an internal fit adjustment. I have that on my seekins precision SBR lower and it's great to have if you are combining parts.

+1, I bought a complete 14.5" LP with the Vltor upper, slapped an older style lower on it an thats all she wrote..... also works well with my knights upper. I recently bought some of the "Chainsaw" uppers and lowers (GEN II) and there is some play between them along with the GEN II lower to my 14.5.

for what they cost it should be a perfect fit imo. Handled a few factory assembled before but my lil ole LMT is gonna have to suffice for now

Having a tight fitting upper/lower isn't gonna make or break the accuracy is it? I'm gonna be following this thread as I just picked a G2 noveske lower; itching to start building. Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the noveske chainsaw parts? I am considering getting a lower receiver </div></div>

Killer, this was a few posts above your question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pacer 316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recently bought some of the "Chainsaw" uppers and lowers (GEN II) and there is some play between them along with the GEN II lower to my 14.5. </div></div>

The chainsaw marked parts did not pass the final inspection but are good enough to use and sold at a discounted price. Don't expect them to be perfect, they won't be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a couple Noveske uppers for my LMT SBR lower and both are extremely tight. </div></div>

So how do they shoot brother?</div></div>
I have a 6.8mm 10.5" upper that I use for hunting and a 12.5 223 upper and they both shoot awesome. Since they are short barrels the barrels are very rigid and accurate. I can shoot both at a 100 yards within 1.25 MOA even with one having a Leupold CQT on it which is a 1 x 3 power. I love Noveske AR's I only wish I could have more. Here is the 10.5 with a Thunderbeast on it - the hunting rig.

003.jpg

12.5" Noveske 223
Noveske2.jpg

I have two factory complete Noveske's, an N4 and an N6. The N4 has a fairly solid fit though it could be slightly tighter. The N6 has quite a bit of play and this was the first thing I noticed about it. As others have said, it's nothing that a $4 piece of kit can't cure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the noveske chainsaw parts? I am considering getting a lower receiver </div></div>

Killer, this was a few posts above your question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pacer 316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I recently bought some of the "Chainsaw" uppers and lowers (GEN II) and there is some play between them along with the GEN II lower to my 14.5. </div></div>

The chainsaw marked parts did not pass the final inspection but are good enough to use and sold at a discounted price. Don't expect them to be perfect, they won't be. </div></div>

The Chainsaw lowers are <span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">cosmetically</span></span> blemished. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the fit any more than any of other their other lowers have

Cox380 is absolutely correct..I have the chainsaw n4 lower and the fit is so tight on an ops-4 upper I use a small punch to remove the rear pin at times. Buy w confidence they're great products. As far as it being a blemish lower I can't find any on mine

For the chainsaw lowers, I am not really concerned about fit but rather the price/ quality difference. I'm sure the chainsaw parts are for the most part within specs, I just want to know if there is a substantial price difference that would justify purchasing one instead of a regular lower receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killerwaffles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the chainsaw lowers, I am not really concerned about fit but rather the price/ quality difference. I'm sure the chainsaw parts are for the most part within specs, I just want to know if there is a substantial price difference that would justify purchasing one instead of a regular lower receiver. </div></div>
The only difference is that you will have more money to put towards things that actually make a difference in your lower...like a nice trigger group

I know first hand that the blemishes on these are super minor and on a lot of them the blemish is hard to find at all. When you do find them you can't believe that it got kicked back by QC. Noveske's standards are damn high. Almost all the Chainsaw lowers I've seen have very small unnoticeable marks that you'd probably put on yourself when building the lower or if not the first time you take it out to shoot. Besides all the guys on this site are too hard core to care about cosmetics. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My observation has been that VLTOR upper receivers fit the tightest on a variety of receivers.

Standard uppers are a crap shoot. </div></div>
Yep...Exactly true!

My stripped Gen II Noveske N4 lower and stripped Noveske upper fit together really tight. Like others have mentioned, I need to use a punch on the rear takedown pin to get them appart.

Well thats good to know. As far as cosmetic damage, i really dont care about if it is scratched or not becuase i will end up scratching it from use.

Tango, I own 3 different Noveske's, one is a 18",5.56 SPR,VLTOR VIS upper, a 10.5" 6.8SPC PDW and my favorite a 12.5" 5.56 tackdriver from hell! This short barreled beauty will go hole for hole with my 18" SPR out to 300 yds. Every Noveske that I own or have owned or sold to a customer has been nothing but TOP-SHELF gear! John and crew take extreme pride and quality control in every platform they build or sell.The only platform that holds a candle to John's gear is the new Vltor series of carbines, but there again you are getting a serious platform with a Noveske barrel. They may cost you a little more than most others but then again you will NOT be sorry in the long run. Try one out you won't regret it.

Just put together a chainsaw upper and lower - fit is sloppy as sh!t. My LAR Grizzly combinations are tighter. I can understand cosmetic imperfections - but this is ridiculous. I would expect not having to use the o-ring trick or wedge it from Noveske.....It appears that the lower is what is in question, the upper does seem to fit a little more tight on my other lowers. Hope yours came out better.

New owner of a Noveske n4 SPR an though it's tighter than both my Daniel Defense AR's there is still a tiny bit of slack. And being the stickler that I am I use the accu-wedge on all my builds just to take the tiny bit of play. Might not do anything but it's one less worry IMHO. And is like 4bucks for 3.

I've had good luck with Rock River lowers. Forget the accuwedge, I've had great results with an old earplug. The grimier the better; the combination of sweat and stale earwax really hold those uppers in snug.
smile.gif

Buy matched upper/lower combos or get lots of extra stripped uppers to handfit yourself---I sell all that I cannot fit

My lone NOVESKE lower mates up to a pair of Daniel Defense uppers and a Colt upper just fine. One of the DD's IS a bit tighter than the other. Zero issues with any of them when running them on the NOVESKE.

FN in MT

If you replace the front pivot pin with a shoulder bolt that you can tighten up, you can eliminate all that play. Most hardware stores sell a quarter inch shoulder bolt that will fit perfectly for about $2.00.

For those that don't know, the shoulder bolt looks sort of like the push pin, but has a precision ground smooth surface to go through where your pivot pin goes. There is about a quarter inch of threads on the side of the receiver where you put a washer and an acorn nut. When you tighten this acorn nut up, movement between upper and lower receivers disappear.

You don't have to tighten it up much, and you won't wreck anything by doing this. I have used them for over a decade, and any of my friends who whom I have shown this to have also had great success with it. However, it is a nuisance to have to take the bolt out to separate the two receivers for cleaning.

You just have to decide if it is more important to eliminate the play between receivers, or to have a rifle that is quick and easy to disassemble and clean.

A follow-up to my earlier post... the chainsaw upper was a very tight fit to my Noveske SPR upper. I need to drive out the pin with a nylon punch to disassemble it. The cosmetic blemish on the lower was insignificant, I THINK it is a small white spot the size of a pinhead.