• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noveske. You're saying it wrong! PSA/ Rant.

Sebben

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2011
Snellville, GA
So I have heard this from so many people and it drives me nuts. When ever I hear some one talking about Noveske they say Noves-key. I don't want to be a dick and tell them "Hey you're saying it wrong." So I'm putting it on here! I feel sorry for my friend. I got him a Noveske hat for Christmas and every time he wears it, someone asks him "Noves-key what's that?"

This guy has too have butchered it the most. He calls them No-va-seck-e!!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LcnhVaC3E4c"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LcnhVaC3E4c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Noveske. You're saying it wrong! PSA/ Rant.

So how should it be pronounced????

The E is silent! A ke makes the same sound as que like in Burlesque. You wouldn't say Burlesqu-e.

NOVESKE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The E is silent! A ke makes the same sound as que like in Burlesque. You wouldn't say Burlesqu-e. </div></div>

Nope...sorry, but you are incorrect at least in terms of how the people at Noveske say it from the numerous times I have spoken with them over the phone over the years. While grammatically I would tend to agree with you, it is nevertheless pronounced NO-VESS-KEY.

I do agree that the jackhole from Brownell's ought to have his tongue cut out for the butchering of the name into a 4-syllable word though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The E is silent! A ke makes the same sound as que like in Burlesque. You wouldn't say Burlesqu-e. </div></div>

Nope...sorry, but you are incorrect at least in terms of how the people at Noveske say it from the numerous times I have spoken with them over the phone over the years. While grammatically I would tend to agree with you, it is nevertheless pronounced NO-VESS-KEY.

I do agree that the jackhole from Brownell's ought to have his tongue cut out for the butchering of the name into a 4-syllable word though. </div></div>

How does John say it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does John say it? </div></div>

I can't honestly say that I have ever spoken directly with him, but when every employee of Noveske I have EVER talked to pronounces it NO-VESS-KEY, I would hope to hell that John would have corrected them by now if they were saying not only his company's name incorrectly, but his OWN LAST NAME that his father blessed his with!!!
wink.gif

A little off topic, but in the same vein:

How about Heckler and Koch? (hek-ler and coke)
Leupold? (loo-pold)
Sako? (sock-o)
Sabot? (say-bo)

Folks constantly butcher these. I do my best to correct them gently, but some don't want to know they're wrong and will continue to mispronounce these and other names and terms. Ignorance is fine, but when presented with the correct pronunciation, those who continue to butcher the words slip into the realm of idiots, IMO.

Incidentally, I would tend to pronounce Noveske no-vess-kay, however due to Americanization, it could be pronounced a few different ways. With names, I always defer to the folks at the business...safe to say 99% of them will get it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The E is silent! A ke makes the same sound as que like in Burlesque. You wouldn't say Burlesqu-e.

NOVESKE </div></div>

So barbeque is pronounced "Barbek"?

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The E is silent! A ke makes the same sound as que like in Burlesque. You wouldn't say Burlesqu-e.

NOVESKE </div></div>

So barbeque is pronounced "Barbek"?

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Not with that E in front of the Q. :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little off topic, but in the same vein:

How about Heckler and Koch? (hek-ler and coke)
Leupold? (loo-pold)
Sako? (sock-o)
Sabot? (say-bo)

Folks constantly butcher these. I do my best to correct them gently, but some don't want to know they're wrong and will continue to mispronounce these and other names and terms. Ignorance is fine, but when presented with the correct pronunciation, those who continue to butcher the words slip into the realm of idiots, IMO.

Incidentally, I would tend to pronounce Noveske no-vess-kay, however due to Americanization, it could be pronounced a few different ways. With names, I always defer to the folks at the business...safe to say 99% of them will get it right. </div></div>

Well shit. After talking this over with a few people it turns out I'm wrong! SOB! Being a name it is NO-VESS-KEY. if it were a word it would be either or. But it's not.

I feel your pain, guys...especially with the "HK" stuff. I wish people would just say HK instead of hacking it all up. Had a guy at the range last week when I was shooting my HK MSG-90 clone that said "Hey, is that one of those HAYKLEY and COCKER 91 rifles?" I think I threw up in my mouth a little before answering him.
wink.gif

How many of ya'll hear the bullet company pronounced: HornANdy?,,, (emphasis on the "AN")

I've tried and tried to 'correct' but there are some who're "stuck" in their ways of doing/saying things. Drives me nuts too, but there are more important things to stress about.

Like shooters who DON'T wear eye protection. But let's get back to the original topic.

I am a grammer Nazi and I can't help myself. So kill me for striving to pronounce stuff correctly.
Guy here at work drives me nuts with a few words.
Toluene: He says tol-you-leen, I correct him every time he utters the word.
His favorite restaurant is Province...of course he pronounces it Prahv-eh-dense.
He had some trouble with his prostate a few years back and I asked him if he was having problems lying face down....yep you guessed it...Pross-trate.

I have always said H&K, just to be safe.

He's right up the road - doesn't do walk-ins. Everyone that I know that has every been there (including me) says Nov_ves_key. Maybe John and his crew like the color of money more than they do correcting the way people say it, or maybe it is rollin off the tongue fine as is.

Good luck

I hate it when people correct me on the way firearms companies names are pronounced . If it has some magical pronunciation then use some Hyphens and shit to clue the rest of us in but don't act all high and mighty when we say your product name incorrectly all the while cashing our checks
wink.gif

Not all of us make it to SHOT every year to learn the magic handshake .

No-vesk

Thats how I say it, and I dont give two shits if its wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No-vesk

Thats how I say it, and I dont give two shits if its wrong. </div></div>

That's how majority of the people I know say it and thats how it would be pronounced in the English language. So I'm saying No-vesk as well!

I like I-tal-I'n food

Momma always said, it alright with whatever they call you as long as it ain't late to supper.

I seriously doubt Noveske gives a rat's rump what you call them as long as your check clears, but just for shits n grins- why do you care how it is pronounced?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5Redman8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So how should it be pronounced???? </div></div>

Who really cares as long as the product works...

If I can understand what you're getting at I don't mind mispronunciation, HK is a perfect example. Poor grammar is a different story.

When I saw this thread I had to put in my .02$. "Forte" is not pronounced "For TAY". The "e" is silent. "Forte" is pronounced "fort."

Sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No-vesk

Thats how I say it, and I dont give two shits if its wrong. </div></div>

+1 same here, who cares how you are supposed to say it, the only way I would care is if for some reason I had to talk to the owner Mr. Noveske himself