• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Novice PRS in Washington

JimmyT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017
Any novice leagues in Washington? I’m ready to go out but know I can’t compete with the old hands. Looking for a beginners league. Any help?

Try the guys at the Ravensdale range. It’s a members only club with a looooong wait list to join, but they are open to the public a few days a month.
That’s where I’d start

are you in Washington state or Washington dc ?

Upper Nisqually Sportsman’s Club is very welcoming to new shooters! First Saturday of the month. I just shot my first match there this past weekend. Great time.

I'll echo the recommendation to come shoot the match at UNSC in Eatonville. The match happens every month, first Saturday of the month. It's welcoming to new shooters, we probably have 10 or so on average each time. It's a 600 yard square range, and most often doesn't have much wind so usually the focus is more positional shooting rather than prone. It can be a challenging match, but a lot of fun.

You'll need to be on Facebook to find their registration links on Practiscore etc. Look for the "UNSC Practical Rifle Match" page. The match has been selling out lately, so make sure to register in advance so you have a slot.

Speaking of the match this past weekend. Can anyone tell me what “class 1” means on practiscore?

Speaking of the match this past weekend. Can anyone tell me what “class 1” means on practiscore?

Not sure, never seen that before. Maybe something the MD did to track the mulligan coins or something? I don't think it has any real meaning.

I have been looking into shooting this match as well. Still need to get a rifle put together for it. I am out on the coast in Raymond so not to bad of a drive.
Is there any other way of tracking the match without Facebook? I don’t want to sigh up for it.

Is there any other way of tracking the match without Facebook? I don’t want to sigh up for it.

Best suggestion would be to watch Practiscore for matches in Eatonville when registration goes live. Would be tough though since they aren't always consistently labeled.

I plan on trying some matches at UNSC soon as well. I'll need to get some training first. I've never really shot distance with a scope. We just had iron sights in the Army ;)

If the match fills up quickly and this coming Saturday is the first of the month I would assume it's already full?
Is it okay to show up to watch???

Got on to practiscore in an attempt to register. Couldn’t find the match. Will try again in June.

Match link is here. It's full now but was open for 3-4 weeks before it filled up. Lots of posts on Facebook in the Northwest Precision Community group and the UNSC Practical Rifle page.

Is there any way for people who don't want to sign up for facebook, or practice score to register for the matches. Some people just don't want to having that much of a "presence" on some web sites.

Some potential employers are often now wanting to look at people's online presence, and signing up for what could be considered a "radical" shooting group could damage someone's future employment possibilities.

I don't really agree that it is a radical group, or that potential employers should be researching people's online presence, but that is the reality of the world in which we live.

Lol...you are posting on SH.

They already know who you are.
I realize where I'm posting, and am obviously not worried about me. I have a buddy that would like to shoot the matches there and he tried to find a way to sign up by mailing in entry fee, or any alternative, and he essentially got told to go pound sand. I guess that if the matches are filling up anyhow, the match directors don't need any more people wanting to come in, and that is terrific for the new match directors (I started that program at UNSC, and ran it for about 6 years). The new directors are obviously doing a good job if the matches are filling up, but it would be nice if my buddy could figure out a way to register.

I realize that I'm already on plenty of people's radar, I'm fortunate that it doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: woodlandshooter
June match is open for registration. It is a NEW SHOOTER match, you cannot have shot more than 5 matches total before. Some more experienced shooters will be there to help squad lead. Check it out, should be a fun time.

Damn I can’t make that shoot but should be able to make the next one. Rifle is setup just need to do some old development and I have a wedding to go to. Have fun guys!!

Now that I have registered and paid, what else do I need to do?

FWIW, if there is a really big PRS match somewhere else, the match at Upper Nisqually often isn't as crowded as many of the top shooters are off at the big match.

Something I really like about the group at Upper Nisqually is that they are unusually friendly and helpful for newer shooters compared to many other venues I have attended. I have seen them loan gear, call shots, and otherwise try to make sure that new shooters have a good time. They are a good group of people.

The group that has been running the matches for the past year or two has done a really good job growing the sport and the group...if attendance is almost always full, that has to tell you something about how well things are being run.

I am hoping to register for the shoot in July as long as something doesn’t come up. Been wanting to shoot this match for a while now.

How many rounds of ammo are need for this match? Just trying to get everything ready ahead of time.
Thanks

Got registered for the July 6th match. This will be my first of many matches to shoot. Waiting on my Wiebad fortune cookie to show up. Rifle is zeroed and rounds are loaded.

Reactions: Sheldon N
CD1B8DC6-353B-4D43-BDF1-7C5C9BA3B847.png

Signed up and now have to wait out OT for that weekend...

Last edited:
I really like the Upper Nisqually range. I often drive from Vancouver to meet my buddies there who live near by. They have done a great job with that club and the guys at the shoots are pretty helpful. If only we had a setup like that around the Vancouver area.

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
Couldn’t agree more. Shot there last weekend and had a blast. This was my first match. The squad I shot with was awesome and very helpful. Can’t wait to get up there and shoot again. Can’t make it next month but will be there for the match in September.

Reactions: littlepod
I've only ever shot 200 yards, but I'll write write down all the yards from the ballistic calc and try out the match in August. I wanted to do some NRL22 practice before going to PRS, but the local NRL22 match got cancelled today :(