• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Novice question about slam fire, need some help.

FN-Whitney

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
I just installed a Trigger Tech Special into my 700 and I am getting slam fires, not every time but when I run the bolt home extremely hard it happens. I have adjusted the weight from 1.5 to 3 and it still happens. I have contacted TT but I am wondering if there is anything else that might be causing this to occur. It doesn't happen with the TT Primary trigger set at just under 2.

It kinda sounds like the Sear Engagement isn't enough.

What did TT have to say about it?

They want me to send it in with a warranty form, maybe this is how they handle all returns. I would think a straight exchange would be easier but this is the first time dealing with TT customer service. I got the feeling from their response the person emailing me didn’t read my first email and just assumed it was an old trigger not a straight out of the box, like asking how many rounds I had fired and had I been piercing primers.

Yes it is, 1 to 3 lbs. but it still malfunctioned at low and high settings.

Yes it is, 1 to 3 lbs. but it still malfunctioned at low and high settings.
I see there is no sear adjustment on the trigger.
Is your action bedded into the stock?
I ask because I had a 700, when unbedded and torques into the chassis, it put pressure on the trigger assembly and caused malfunctions

XLR Heavy Envy chassis, current trigger is TT Primary at 2 lbs, no problems.

Thats what trigger techs do. Run the bolt at normal speeds and it will be fine.
I never even noticed it on my primary for the first year until someone pointed it out and I purposefully tried to make it skip over catching the sear. Cant make it do it in shooting position, just on the couch purposefully trying to slam it home as quick as humanly possible.

Last edited:
Yeah, well if you are happy with that great but I made it do it while barricade practicing dry firing. Not good.

Reactions: earthtrekker1775
I put a tt diamond in my rem 700 aac-sd which is stock except for the mcrees chassis. Slam fired regardless of trigger adjustment if i ran the bolt quickly. Swapped it back to my lgs for a jewell. However, I put a tt diamond in my impact action and it runs perfectly.

I would be afraid to leave a trigger in if I thought running the bolt hard would cause that to happen.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Thats what trigger techs do. Run the bolt at normal speeds and it will be fine.
I never even noticed it on my primary for the first year until someone pointed it out and I purposefully tried to make it skip over catching the sear. Cant make it do it in shooting position, just on the couch purposefully trying to smal it home as quick as humanly possible.
To each his own but I think it is not a good trigger trade if it brings slam fires.

There are just few oz triggers that do not slam fire.. I guess with those an adjustable sear is mandatory.

I think in some competitions a slam firing rifle will disqualify you.

Point for clarification: an actual slam-fire or it just doesnt catch the firing pin?

Mine just didnt catch, it never let the firing pin go with enough energy to set anything off so no real slam fire issue.
I doubt trigger tech will do anything for you other than tell you to slow down/increase the pull weight. They didnt for me or anyone else.

---I no longer run the trigger tech just fyi, it bugged me too so I did something about it and went bix and jewel. Im not disagreeing that its concerning, Im just saying that it just never really became a real concern in application and trigger tech wasnt too worried about it either hence my "thats what trigger techs do" comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Near miss
I appreciate everyone's input, hopefully all goes well.

Point for clarification: an actual slam-fire or it just doesnt catch the firing pin?

Mine just didnt catch, it never let the firing pin go with enough energy to set anything off so no real slam fire issue.
I doubt trigger tech will do anything for you other than tell you to slow down/increase the pull weight. They didnt for me or anyone else.

---I no longer run the trigger tech just fyi, it bugged me too so I did something about it and went bix and jewel. Im not disagreeing that its concerning, Im just saying that it just never really became a real concern in application and trigger tech wasnt too worried about it either hence my "thats what trigger techs do" comment.
I believe mine was slam firing, it would cock correctly, but if put home quickly the firing pin would fire. Fortunately I function checked it after installation and noticed this before running live ammo.

I'm with earthtrekker1775, mine cock and then release when I sent it home. I also was fortunate to find it while dry firing and not with a live round. I am leaning towards just returning it after hearing about this many instances with no real solution to the problem. maybe I'll give the CE a try, I hear a lot of good things about them.

Following and dry firing is the distinction I was given by TT. Following is just what it sounds like, the sear doesn't catch and the firing pin rides back down the cam as the handle is closed. Slam firing the sear lets go when the bolt hits the stop. No way mine could be made to follow from behind the rifle. Well, maybe some who worked concrete for 20 years could. :sneaky::LOL: Sounds like a good idea you sent it in. IMO

I run TT in my bolt guns. They have been solid for me. Having read this i am going to try to replicate your malfunction. It is very interesting

Based on what I’ve been reading and feeling on in particular TT vs Timney, and Remington vs Clone actions, the following seems logically consistent:
  • Remingtons have a looser bolt body to receiver bore fit than clones (substantially lower cost in mass production)
  • Timney triggers are made for the standard Remington action, which means that the sear height is bumped up a bit to ensure the cocking piece catches every time regardless of slop condition
  • The higher sear to ensure functionality in off the shelf Remington actions can cause sear/cocking piece drag in custom actions
  • Triggertech triggers are made for the clone actions, which are almost universally held to much tighter receiver/bolt clearances
  • Triggertech prioritizes a clean release of the cocking piece in custom actions, and as such can fail to engage on the loosest OTS actions
  • Bix N Andy realized “huh, if we make different top sears we can make everyone happy”

Reactions: spife7980
Based on what I’ve been reading and feeling on in particular TT vs Timney, and Remington vs Clone actions, the following seems logically consistent:
  • Remingtons have a looser bolt body to receiver bore fit than clones (substantially lower cost in mass production)
  • Timney triggers are made for the standard Remington action, which means that the sear height is bumped up a bit to ensure the cocking piece catches every time regardless of slop condition
  • The higher sear to ensure functionality in off the shelf Remington actions can cause sear/cocking piece drag in custom actions
  • Triggertech triggers are made for the clone actions, which are almost universally held to much tighter receiver/bolt clearances
  • Triggertech prioritizes a clean release of the cocking piece in custom actions, and as such can fail to engage on the loosest OTS actions
  • Bix N Andy realized “huh, if we make different top sears we can make everyone happy”
That was my conclusion as well, hence I went to the Jewell in my 700 and TT in my Impact. Though I would prefer to be able to safely run a two stage TT in both rifles when they are available.

Reactions: gnochi