• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

novice shooter, new rifle, range report pics

sILlogger

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2010
Southern Illinois
Let me begin by saying thank you to all of the folks here that share a wealth of knowledge for young inexperienced folks such as myself.

I finally decided to get a rifle to hunt/target/plink with. I went with a new remmy 700 sps tactical in .308, outfitted it with a 4-14x50 wotac mildot in nightforce 20moa 2 piece bases, seekins 30 mm low rings, harris bipod. This is my first bolt gun and a wanted a solid platform to build on as my skills improve.

I tuned down the factory trigger, boresighted it. Finally got the chance to shoot it today, 3 shots at 25 to get it close, 5 at 100 to dial it in, then I settled in to shoot my first group.

IMG_20100926_093318.jpg

Overall, I have a lot to learn about shooting, but I'm looking forward to learning, there are a few things I plan to change on my rifle, I've got a tac ops bolt knob to install, I'm gonna swap out the trigger (prolly go with a jewell, unless anybody knows of a better one?) And get rid of the hogue stock. Thanks for looking and thanks for the wealth of knowledge. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Re: novice shooter, new rifle, range report pics

Looks like your gonna have a good package there.

Looks like you are well on your way.If you can continue to shoot groups like that one you are doing great for a novice shooter....Keep shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sILlogger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are a few things I plan to change on my rifle.....</div></div>

Why?

You have assembled the rifle, fired a group to confirm the potential of the system.

Your next task should be to accumulate enough ammunition and shoot drills that will solidify your skill at pulling the trigger.

Bolt knobs and other crap do nothing to hone your skill.

I can't tell you how many professional shooters are using factory bolt knobs and factory triggers.

I would suggest you tack up a SH Dot drill target and start with that. Use Frank's drill for getting behind your rifle. Once you are able to drop down straight behind the rifle and get your trigger finger and hand position on the rifle 100% perfect every time, work on running the bolt smoothly. Then start stepping back and get your dope out as far as your range will allow. As soon as you are comfortable shooting at 100 yards, go to 200 yards, then 300, etc.

Once you have confirmed that the rifle and scope is up to the tast, STOP SHOOTING GROUPS. Singe well aimed shots will do more for your skill as a marksman.

Finally.....DRY FIRE. Do it every day.

LoneWolf, might you have a link to Franks drill. While I've been shooting for years I can't but help myself to try to be better. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sILlogger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are a few things I plan to change on my rifle.....</div></div>

Why?

You have assembled the rifle, fired a group to confirm the potential of the system.

Your next task should be to accumulate enough ammunition and shoot drills that will solidify your skill at pulling the trigger.

Bolt knobs and other crap do nothing to hone your skill.

I can't tell you how many professional shooters are using factory bolt knobs and factory triggers.

I would suggest you tack up a SH Dot drill target and start with that. Use Frank's drill for getting behind your rifle. Once you are able to drop down straight behind the rifle and get your trigger finger and hand position on the rifle 100% perfect every time, work on running the bolt smoothly. Then start stepping back and get your dope out as far as your range will allow. As soon as you are comfortable shooting at 100 yards, go to 200 yards, then 300, etc.

Once you have confirmed that the rifle and scope is up to the tast, STOP SHOOTING GROUPS. Singe well aimed shots will do more for your skill as a marksman.

Finally.....DRY FIRE. Do it every day. </div></div>

I'm a newbie at bolt action scoped rifles and this IMHO is good advice.

The only accessory I need is more ammo and time to shoot it.

I downloaded the dot drill PDF and will try it this weekend.

Doubt I'll do very well but it will give me a baseline to start at.

Dot Drill Thread

Stand up after every shot. Take a break. Get a drink, etc.

The point is to build your position and exercise the fundamentals for every round fired.

If you blow one, forget it. Nothing you can do after the round leaves the barrel.