• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Now for something new. The ATAK, ECOTI, GoTenna, MBITR KDU, Tactical Cell Phone Rabbithole

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I've used the .mil ATAK before and I know its evolved since then. An ECOTI wasn't a thing yet and I'm betting the capabilities and compatible equipment list within the system has grown as well. A civ version of ATAK (probably to data mine you and/or keep track of people who think you can use this during some kind of insurgency fantasy) has been available for a while now. However, their site as well as the subreddits dedicated to it give you next to zero actual information as far as what works and what doesnt and outside of people needing troubleshooting or nerds nerding out over some sort of specs or whatever, thats about it.

If you're not familiar with ATAK, its basically a newer version of what the DAGR used to be, and can now be run on a cell phone. It allows you to mark waypoints in real time on the phone using a terrain overlay (think interactive google maps) that everyone else on your network can see and also interact with. You can enter info on the targets and waypoints as well as they can be made via other equipment like the PLRF25. A basic example of this would be that you see 3 guys with weapons walking across a hillside. You hit them with the PLRF25 and it'll update into ATAK that there is something there; youd then label it '3 armed personnel, unknown, heading 246 at 1723. Everyone on that net now sees that waypoint on their unit as well as the info.

The other cool thing is anyone linked to the network shows up on ATAK so you know where all of your elements currently are. Even if you are out of cellular range, the GoTenna it works with will continue to receive/transmit via (I think) satellite and will continue to receive and broadcast.

Some of the equipment that works with it are rangefiders, the MBITR radio where the phone will work as a KDU and allow you to manipulate your radio without having to take it out of its pouch and the ECOTI, which from my understanding, if attached, will then give you a real time HUD of the waypoints and where your elements are. It's basically like a fucking round of Battlefield 4 with a HUD and waypoints you see as you move your head towards them.

Basic equipment list for the 'system' would be:

- Galaxy S20 phone 'tactical' version (which they wont sell you because it has the .mil ATAK version on it but you can get the regular S20)

- ATAK software app (civ version available)

- GoTenna Pro (available)

- MBITR (can't get this, however there are civ versions now that are broadband, 15w, near indestructible, and work with all Harris/Thales PTT, Harris batteries and even now work with the old school KDU module)

- ECOTI (available after we were all told it never would be)

The ideal setup would be to have the civ ATAK on the phone. Have the GoTenna linked to the phone. Then via cable have the phone linked to both the ECOTI and the MBITR which in itself I am not sure if its possible as I do not believe the phone has 2 ports, but could be wrong.

The main question here is - do any of you have experience using the civ version, and what is it capable of, and what are its shortcomings/where is it bottlenecked?

And then a few other random questions:

- How does the ECOTI attach to I am assuming the phone? Cable?

- Can you attach the MBITR and ECOTI simultaneously?

- Does the phone still/capable of working as a KDU?

No civ use but we field tested that system when I was stationed at ft bliss in 2010/11 ish. From what I remember it was a hot mess and hopefully it has evolved into something better by now. It did have some neat aspects as far as being able to mark enemy positions and direction of movement. Other than that just the typical downsides of more equipment to feed and move.

No civ use but we field tested that system when I was stationed at ft bliss in 2010/11 ish. From what I remember it was a hot mess and hopefully it has evolved into something better by now. It did have some neat aspects as far as being able to mark enemy positions and direction of movement. Other than that just the typical downsides of more equipment to feed and move.

We had it on a tablet in 2009-2010. it was a little wonky, but from all the additional shit I see it now working with and the phone that can now be stowed on you, I'm hoping I can piece together a working version. I just know zero about what the civ version actually lets you do or not.

We tested the phone version. It was in a small flip down style case centered on your chest. I’d wonder what civ org would have a need for such tracking, unless maybe some mountain rescue or that type of organization might have a need for.

Reactions: stefan73
    I would think the weakness would be the radio. What frequency are you going to run this on? Encrypted?

I would think the weakness would be the radio. What frequency are you going to run this on? Encrypted?

That's find of a two part question/answer.

From the way I know it (from 10+ years ago) it attaches to the radio in only the sense of it being basically a remote control for the channels/use of the radio and doesn't do anything to the radio. It just allows you to not have to take the MBITR out of a pouch to change channels, etc. So whatever the encryption on the radio is, stays the way it was anyways.

With the actual phone unit itself, from my understanding, if its linked to the GoTenna, it will still update via whatever the encrypted signal the GoTenna uses, but no actual voice comms, only updating the ATAK overlay, waypoints, any movement in ATAK and being able to send messages.

We tested the phone version. It was in a small flip down style case centered on your chest. I’d wonder what civ org would have a need for such tracking, unless maybe some mountain rescue or that type of organization might have a need for.
    Kagwerks and juggernaut make those chest mounted units. The kahwerks one is a complete Navboard. Holds a foretrex and compass

Reactions: roostercogburn98
    So its running the data through the GoTenna not the radio?

That's good in terms of the civ world cause civ radio frequencies suck, especially for data and encryption.

Looking at the GoTenna website it almost looks wireless now, linked via Bluetooth would be my guess. That creates a mesh network with your other elements in the field.

No idea on price but looks like major bucks 😂

ETA the app is free at least on the Play Store. You could probably run it over a cell network if you had service where you were operating operationally.

Better to have the GoTennas if you could afford it in case that's shit down. I saw a bunch of other networking settings just skimming around the app.

I wonder if you might be able to rig up a cheaper version of a GoTenna like what guys were doing for range cameras using WiFi signals and directional antennas.

Not as compact, light, or portable but maybe you could rig up mesh routers with directional antennas on batteries and drop them in an area you need to work in as you go and have everyone connect the phones to the wifi signal in the area.

Or make them vehicle mounted or something. Spitballin cause that GoTenna package looks like a 5 figure package to me and they seem to want to sell it to LE or companies.

I'm sure they'd sell it to whoever but it ain't gonna be priced for you and me ya know, they want an oil company or a city LE agency to fork out the coin for it.

Last edited:
    GoTenna is basically a LoRa+GPS module. Phone connects to it via Bluetooth, a LoRa mesh is created between the GoTenna's.
    LoRa is capable of long range but is low bandwidth, only small amounts of data can be sent. Since this is not a HAM or similar public voice frequency (FRS, GMRS) encryption is not prohibited.
    What you are paying them for is their software and development and an app that is "done" which is pretty much where the time suck is on any open source project.

What little I've poked around on in civtak seems highly erratic, anything cool seems to get taken away. Radio control depends on the radio being capable and a plugin available. You can write your own plugins, but they have to be sideloaded.
    Typical analog radios can send and receive data over audio connectors like you would with FLdigi or JS8call.
    No idea on the ecoti connection or simultaneous use with a radio. FWIW most AR glasses are bluetooth, so if the radio was via USB simultaneous use should be possible.

Reactions: lariat
    Kagwerks and juggernaut make those chest mounted units. The kahwerks one is a complete Navboard. Holds a foretrex and compass

Yeah theres that. I'd just use it in the Crye Maritime pouch I had the control for a drone in on my carrier.

So its running the data through the GoTenna not the radio?

That's good in terms of the civ world cause civ radio frequencies suck, especially for data and encryption.

Looking at the GoTenna website it almost looks wireless now, linked via Bluetooth would be my guess. That creates a mesh network with your other elements in the field.

No idea on price but looks like major bucks 😂

ETA the app is free at least on the Play Store. You could probably run it over a cell network if you had service where you were operating operationally.

Better to have the GoTennas if you could afford it in case that's shit down. I saw a bunch of other networking settings just skimming around the app.

I wonder if you might be able to rig up a cheaper version of a GoTenna like what guys were doing for range cameras using WiFi signals and directional antennas.

Not as compact, light, or portable but maybe you could rig up mesh routers with directional antennas on batteries and drop them in an area you need to work in as you go and have everyone connect the phones to the wifi signal in the area.

Or make them vehicle mounted or something. Spitballin cause that GoTenna package looks like a 5 figure package to me and they seem to want to sell it to LE or companies.

I'm sure they'd sell it to whoever but it ain't gonna be priced for you and me ya know, they want an oil company or a city LE agency to fork out the coin for it.

I can get the GoTenna for around $600.

GoTenna is basically a LoRa+GPS module. Phone connects to it via Bluetooth, a LoRa mesh is created between the GoTenna's.
    LoRa is capable of long range but is low bandwidth, only small amounts of data can be sent. Since this is not a HAM or similar public voice frequency (FRS, GMRS) encryption is not prohibited.
    What you are paying them for is their software and development and an app that is "done" which is pretty much where the time suck is on any open source project.

What little I've poked around on in civtak seems highly erratic, anything cool seems to get taken away. Radio control depends on the radio being capable and a plugin available. You can write your own plugins, but they have to be sideloaded.
    Typical analog radios can send and receive data over audio connectors like you would with FLdigi or JS8call.
    No idea on the ecoti connection or simultaneous use with a radio. FWIW most AR glasses are bluetooth, so if the radio was via USB simultaneous use should be possible.

So with compatible phone + ATAK civ + GoTenna, what can you do currently?

I was hoping to be able to mark waypoints on a map overlay, insert data on the WPs, as well as have anyone in the element with the same setup on our net be visable and update where they are. Is that still 'live' or did that get taken away/not work?

Ours were more cordura material and iirc made by london bridge or one of those companies. I wish I had pics of the setup but way back then I was to busy running a light infantry platoon to mess with that. That one you linked is pretty neat though

Positions, points, routes and chat, each one of the GoTenna radio products has a specific plugin.

All that you mention does work over a radio as well. IIRC there is a video or two showing it done with LoRa modules as well.

Positions, points, routes and chat, each one of the GoTenna radio products has a specific plugin.

All that you mention does work over a radio as well. IIRC there is a video or two showing it done with LoRa modules as well.

Where does the plugin come from? Like do I need someone to send it to me, or is it already in the GoTenna and/or can be downloaded? Didn't want to end up with one and can't use the plugin.

Also, whats the best phone to get for all of this to work on?

And what do you mean when you say it works over a radio as well? My impression was the GoTenna links to the phone running ATAK and the radio is still the radio.

My understanding is that the interface to the ECOTI is not enabled in CivTAK, and the code to do so is restricted.

http://www.mobilinkd.com/ if you’re looking to run 2m and APRS on almost any handheld this is your ticket.. the aprs app will give you what you’re looking for with short messages to other units and seeing position in as close to real time as you can get. Can also limit the accuracy of it as others can see the position on the app.

For radios they are currently running Harris 152's but I do not know about the interface and their integration of the 152's with them.

I am sure that the ATAKs like AES256 are compromised for civi use. You are never going to get anything that is truly secure.

Civ “MBITR”…? Info, please… The only things I’ve seen have had low-end Pofung radio-on-a-chip guts in a pretty metal wrapper. It’d be awesome if there was a more legit version available.

There is technically a non-type-1 MBITR Clear:
    The PRC6809 Non-Type 1 MBITR is part of the AN/PRC-148 family of radios. Based on the combat-proven AN/PRC-148 MBITR, the PRC6809 Non-Type 1 MBITR provides unprecedented interoperability with existing military and commercial legacy radio systems. With software upgradeability, future operation with the next generation of communications equipment is ensured. The PRC6809 Non-Type 1 MBITR can be utilized with the full set of AN/PRC-148 system components for mounted and dismounted operations.
    • Contiguous 30-512 MHz coverage
    • Selectable RF output power (0. 1, 5. 0 Watts)
    • DES/Type III and AES/256-bit encryption options
    • 2M/20 immersible
    • Compliant with the Universal Battery Charger (UBC) family of tactical chargers
    Still crazy expensive so only a few non-mil agencies got them, and they if disposed of they are then technically available on the open market, but very few have been legit released so prices are outrageous. Not none. Have seen the label on the back of privately owned legal MBITRs but I can't afford one.

Tyr Tactical made (at least some of) the first (?) gen ATAK pouches for that small Motorola phone. I have a couple as they were cheap, and it is not very hard to velcro in any old phone to it. The later vertical E-Case is officially by Rockwell but no idea who did the sewing for them.

For radios they are currently running Harris 152's but I do not know about the interface and their integration of the 152's with them.

I am sure that the ATAKs like AES256 are compromised for civi use. You are never going to get anything that is truly secure.
    Atack can be run with anw2c on 152s. This thread is interesting, I had no idea atak was compatible with a 148, never seen the cables to interface with the 148s kdu.

If you can get your hands on some TrellisWare radios you can run that way and with a much much higher bandwidth. Cell network works too, I know how to “secure” the mil atak. Civilian, I dunno but maybe it’s possible.

Atak reminded me more of the blue force tracker than a simple dagr. Granted they worked together.

edit: spell check

Last edited:
    Been playing with ATAK-CIV again since this thread.
    A few tips:

If having trouble, DISABLE any plugins, especially HAMMER. The way it overwrites the display causes many issues, in particular with the Import Manager. Once are done importing then you can turn them back on.

I also suggest DISABLING auto-update for ATAK and all plugins. Once you get it working an update is guaranteed to break your setup as the plugin updates/re-signing always lag a week or more behind.

You will find a ton of rather large zipped DTED files (elevation data), NONE of them are actually formatted in a way that you can use. You need to create folders for the particular "easting" or "westing" EX: w125 then place the renamed tiles in each folder, then rebuild the zip file to import.
    This tool will aid greatly in renaming a ton of files based on patterns, RTFM on using it:

Also Android can have some very odd permissions issues, you may need to first copy zip files into the same folder you are trying to import the contents into.

Map and elevation data can be HUGE. You will not get the entire world at high resolution stored locally on your phone/tablet for offline use.
    You can get an acceptable and usable view though and super high detail for your particular state or AO. You will likely need to add a microSD card to get the most out of it, they are cheap now. Look up the specs of what your device can accept, not everything will accept a 512 GB card (64-128 GB is common for devices the past 3+ years).

The experience with ATAK is like with any open source product; frustration and shit documentation. That being said if you can power through it there is some very cool and powerful functionality.

Sites you will be spending a lot of time on:

Latest user guide for 4.4.0.3 attached.

Attachments

• ATAK_User_Guide.pdf
      11.4 MB · Views: 316
    K have the Gotenna and plugins. Have the android phone with ATAK.

What are the best maps for overlays to DL?

And then how do the servers actually work? I see people talking about apps for private servers and then people saying you can make your own server via ATAK directly. Haven't tried yet.

The jump start guide on reddit has some good starter map sources and elevation data:
    Google, bing and ESRI clarity are 3 you absolutely want to look at.

The servers allow uploading and sharing of more info (packages, mission files etc.) but obviously require access to the internet or a server running on your off grid mesh.
    Options for off grid use:
    FreeTAKServer has an android distro but the documentation for it is scattered, contradictory and incomplete. I've been unsuccessful in getting the UI portion of it to install (needed for configuration of the server proper).
    Getting it to run on a Pi 4 with either PiOS or Ubuntu should be less hassle but is another box to power and carry.
    A taky server running on a barebones micro linux device like a Pi is also another possibility:
    https://github.com/tkuester/taky I am going to see if it is lightweight enough to run on a Pi Zero W which is tiny and cheap.

Lastly is try it first without a server in the basic mesh network mode that it supports natively and via the GoTenna plugin.
    Even over your own home WiFi connection multiple devices running ATAK should be able to see each other and communicate, share routes, waypoints and other basic info.
    If you are trying to communicate to a device that is not on the same physical network and both have internet access, that's where things like ZeroTier vpn come in.

Read the 4th link in my post above "index - ATAK" it is the jump start guide.

If Im reading it right, is the only way to get a private server that actually would work, to pay for it via ZeroTier?

You don't need to pay for ZeroTier unless trying to connect more than 50 users that the free tier covers. Their software can also be self hosted.
    It is a VPN not an ATAK server, it can be used to connect to a server though.

The main use of ZeroTier is to create a private mesh network of devices that ARE connected to the internet but are NOT on the same network.
    EX; You have an android device running ATAK with a 4G connection on Verizon. Your buddy in another state has an ATAK device on a 5G connection using T-Mobile. Another buddy has an ATAK device on his home WiFi with AT&T DSL internet.
    A ZeroTier setup would allow all of these devices to directly communicate to each other over their various different ISP's as if they were all on the same local network.

The other use case for it is all cell phones WITH functioning (internet) data connections in the same physical area, the ZeroTier VPN would allow each of the devices to see each other and communicate via ATAK as if they were on the same physical network.

If you absolutely MUST have a server in the mix for the added features it requires internet or the server being present on the same local mesh network of your group. A Pi 4 in an enclosure is about the size of a fat deck of cards.

You don't need to pay for ZeroTier unless trying to connect more than 50 users that the free tier covers. Their software can also be self hosted.
    It is a VPN not an ATAK server, it can be used to connect to a server though.

I went through the setup and it gives an option for 'regular' server where anyone can join, or a private server where people need to be approved. The private costs money. From my understanding, the regular is just a server, but it would be very unsecure and anyone that finds it can join it? Or am I missing something?

The main use of ZeroTier is to create a private mesh network of devices that ARE connected to the internet but are NOT on the same network.
    EX; You have an android device running ATAK with a 4G connection on Verizon. Your buddy in another state has an ATAK device on a 5G connection using T-Mobile. Another buddy has an ATAK device on his home WiFi with AT&T DSL internet.
    A ZeroTier setup would allow all of these devices to directly communicate to each other over their various different ISP's as if they were all on the same local network.

That is only for the mesh network though correct? Cellular doesn't matter, if I have 5G ATT and friend has 4G Sprint, but we're both running the same version of ATAK on an Android and get on the same server with cellular, we're GTG?

The mesh was where I was going to just go with the GoTenna.

The other use case for it is all cell phones WITH functioning (internet) data connections in the same physical area, the ZeroTier VPN would allow each of the devices to see each other and communicate via ATAK as if they were on the same physical network.

If you absolutely MUST have a server in the mix for the added features it requires internet or the server being present on the same local mesh network of your group. A Pi 4 in an enclosure is about the size of a fat deck of cards.

I basically just want a server that works. From what you mentioned earlier, the FreeTAKServer doesn't. Another random question is, do you have to be on a server? I know how everyone can get on ATAK with the cellular, but how do you have it to where if theres 8 of you, only you 8 see what you 8 are doing?

Reactions: Outlander Systems
    The paid admin function isn't needed, although their wording could be better.
    The ZT private server is administrated via the website not the app on the phones.
    Create a Private network, then from the ZeroTier One app on the phone enter the network ID in the field at the top, toggle the settings per the linked power point in the jump start guide.

Now on the ZeroTier website under your network page you will see a new member popup with their ID shown at the bottom of the phone app, you have to click the box under "Auth?" to authorize the member. You can uncheck or delete members as well. Don't give the network ID out to anyone you don't want on your VPN. As long as you control the ZeroTier account and webpage login you can auth/deauth/delete members or even delete the entire network and make a new one from the website.

"That is only for the mesh network though correct? Cellular doesn't matter, if I have 5G ATT and friend has 4G Sprint, but we're both running the same version of ATAK on an Android and get on the same server with cellular, we're GTG?"
    Connecting to an actual ATAK server that is internet accessible yes are GTG.
    If you have no ATAK server and wish to create a private mesh between internet connected cellphones that's where ZeroTier comes in, you'd magically be seen as being on the same mesh across different cell providers.

The Android install-able version of FreeTAKServer is the one that doesn't work for me, the Linux version of it does work on a computer. The deal there was trying to make this easily portable, the server and a client on one mobile device, no internet required.

You do NOT need an ATAK server for basic position/routing info and messaging if you are all on the same mesh.
    This mesh can be;
    all 8 of you on GoTenna's in the same area.
    all 8 of you on the same wireless network (off grid would be MANET/Mobile Ad-hoc Network)
    all 8 of you on your various cell provider's networks meshed together via your ZeroTier VPN.
    No other ATAK device that is not part of one of these networks would get any easy data from your group.

Adding a server to any of these increases the amount and type of info that can be shared among each member.

In about 10 minutes I made a ZeroTier account, installed the ZT android clients, joined two tablets to it and connected ATAK on both to an encrypted mesh. I was able to see each device's GPS position on the other, chat and send a route between them, no ATAK server involved, but obviously internet.

The mesh was where I was going to just go with the GoTenna.

Did you get the GoTenna Pro/Pro X? My understanding that those are the only ones that support the serverless mesh networks with the plugins.

K have the Gotenna and plugins. Have the android phone with ATAK.

What are the best maps for overlays to DL?

And then how do the servers actually work? I see people talking about apps for private servers and then people saying you can make your own server via ATAK directly. Haven't tried yet.
    Have you gotten the ECOTI connected to it yet?

I've used the .mil ATAK before and I know its evolved since then. An ECOTI wasn't a thing yet and I'm betting the capabilities and compatible equipment list within the system has grown as well. A civ version of ATAK (probably to data mine you and/or keep track of people who think you can use this during some kind of insurgency fantasy) has been available for a while now. However, their site as well as the subreddits dedicated to it give you next to zero actual information as far as what works and what doesnt and outside of people needing troubleshooting or nerds nerding out over some sort of specs or whatever, thats about it.

If you're not familiar with ATAK, its basically a newer version of what the DAGR used to be, and can now be run on a cell phone. It allows you to mark waypoints in real time on the phone using a terrain overlay (think interactive google maps) that everyone else on your network can see and also interact with. You can enter info on the targets and waypoints as well as they can be made via other equipment like the PLRF25. A basic example of this would be that you see 3 guys with weapons walking across a hillside. You hit them with the PLRF25 and it'll update into ATAK that there is something there; youd then label it '3 armed personnel, unknown, heading 246 at 1723. Everyone on that net now sees that waypoint on their unit as well as the info.

The other cool thing is anyone linked to the network shows up on ATAK so you know where all of your elements currently are. Even if you are out of cellular range, the GoTenna it works with will continue to receive/transmit via (I think) satellite and will continue to receive and broadcast.

Some of the equipment that works with it are rangefiders, the MBITR radio where the phone will work as a KDU and allow you to manipulate your radio without having to take it out of its pouch and the ECOTI, which from my understanding, if attached, will then give you a real time HUD of the waypoints and where your elements are. It's basically like a fucking round of Battlefield 4 with a HUD and waypoints you see as you move your head towards them.

Basic equipment list for the 'system' would be:

- Galaxy S20 phone 'tactical' version (which they wont sell you because it has the .mil ATAK version on it but you can get the regular S20)

- ATAK software app (civ version available)

- GoTenna Pro (available)

- MBITR (can't get this, however there are civ versions now that are broadband, 15w, near indestructible, and work with all Harris/Thales PTT, Harris batteries and even now work with the old school KDU module)

- ECOTI (available after we were all told it never would be)

The ideal setup would be to have the civ ATAK on the phone. Have the GoTenna linked to the phone. Then via cable have the phone linked to both the ECOTI and the MBITR which in itself I am not sure if its possible as I do not believe the phone has 2 ports, but could be wrong.

The main question here is - do any of you have experience using the civ version, and what is it capable of, and what are its shortcomings/where is it bottlenecked?

And then a few other random questions:

- How does the ECOTI attach to I am assuming the phone? Cable?

- Can you attach the MBITR and ECOTI simultaneously?

- Does the phone still/capable of working as a KDU?
    Late reply (just saw this post).

May want to check these guys out. We've used their stuff for work for a few things...

No. The cable is the problem as far as finding one, and then, noone knows if the ATAK-C even supports the E Coti.
    I spoke with a person recently who claims the ATAK-C supports the ECOTI and they run that system.

Im trying get confirmation on this or visit this entity to see for myself..I will give you an update after I confirm this.

Reactions: plong
    I spoke with a person recently who claims the ATAK-C supports the ECOTI and they run that system.

Im trying get confirmation on this or visit this entity to see for myself..I will give you an update after I confirm this.

Thats been a huge question mark for everyone. Noone wants to be the first to get an ECOTI, actually find the cable that can't be found and then find out none of it works.

And?

I need to reread to understand the network bit, however I think I get how it all played together.

@6.5SH that video you posted is a glimpse into the future wow. Can’t wait for someone to build a board like that who is more than just a hobbyist

Not sure if this was ever brought to a conclusion but here’s an interesting new piece of equipment to add to the mix. Essentially an inline Bluetooth receiver for your headset that can also facilitate radio while Bluetooth audio is in use

Reactions: chase723 and 6.5SH