• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Now I need an optic !

Helidriver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Well I played hookie from work today waiting for UPS to show up with my rifle from GAP. Here it is. I don't have a scope for it and probably won't for a while. I have a new baby coming and the wife is in "save mode". Just to clarify when I say "baby" I mean flesh and blood baby not a new rifle
whistle.gif
. The rifle started out as a stock 700P. I'm going to try a little F-Class with it.

Here's what GAP did:

26" Bartlein #7 Barrel
Action blueprinted
Bedded the stock
Badger bolt knob
Badger M5
Refinish

All I need to do is fix the paint on the stock around the action. GAP had to sand the paint to level off the bedding job. Then it's the long wait for the optic.

Sorry for the poor pics. I can't figure out my camera.

P1020098.jpg

P1020087.jpg

Re: Now I need an optic !

Very nice rifle. If you plan on a little F class, you would be in the F-TR class. If you are doing 500+ which a lot of F class is 300, 500, and 600 + depending on the range, you will want a little magnification. 20-25x on the top end would be good, a thin reticle as well. The 5.5-22 Nightforce with a NP-R1 or NP-R2 would be a good choice.

Congrats on the newborn

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice rifle. If you plan on a little F class, you would be in the F-TR class. If you are doing 500+ which a lot of F class is 300, 500, and 600 + depending on the range, you will want a little magnification. 20-25x on the top end would be good, a thin reticle as well. The 5.5-22 Nightforce with a NP-R1 or NP-R2 would be a good choice.

Congrats on the newborn

Kirk R </div></div>

Thanks KRock. I plan on that exact scope with the NP-R1. I know there are better scopes out there but I think for the money NF is hard to beat. Since this won't be a dedicated F-Class gun I think the NXS will be better than the benchrest line. I have a couple of Mk4's and they have been good to me but they're both 3.5-10. Not enough for F-Class from what I'm told.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"they're both 3.5-10. Not enough for F-Class from what I'm told"</span>

Well, in F class you need to see where your previous bullet landed, which is marked by a "spotter" by the targer puller. You can usualy see the spotter with a 10X scope without issues, but it is not as easy to hold the reticle in the X ring with the average reticle on 10X. The NXS standard reticle is not a FFP, which means you can run with a thinner reticle that doesnt increse in thickness as magnification in incresed. This is a benefit in F class, but somewhat of a detriment in tactical shooting.

Kirk R

I know what you mean. This rifle will probably only see known distance targets so I think SFP should be fine. Once I get this one scoped and the bank account has recovered I would like to have GAP build a 6.5 Lapua for the tactical stuff. That one will have a FFP for sure.

Shooting a scoped rifle is still new to me. With the exception of hunting, all of my shooting has been with the service rifle in the Corps. That was years ago but I still like to shoot my A2 on the range.

I have that same rifle scope on my 338 lapua and couldn't be happier. It's a bargain compared to other scopes that cost twice as much. Its SFP but you can always turn the power down to 11x and then your moa readings are have as much.