• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Now I own 2 Burris 3-15X44 Signature HD scopes...

JINKSTER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
I purchased the 1st Burris Sig HD to replace the aged 3-9X40 Bushnell left to me (on top of his Ruger M77 Mark II All Weather .270 win) by my deceased father (RIP Dad) as the 3-15 Burris Sig HD seemed to have some exceptionally crisp glass rivaling scopes twice its price then a month later a friend asked me if I wanted to buy an old rifle of mine back at about 1/2 of what I sold it for...a FN PBR w/ a 3-10X42 Swaro AV so I jumped on it and immediately swapped scopes putting the Swaro on my Dad's .270 and the more Tacticool Burris Sig HD on the .308 PBR which was a good move for both rifles as the scopes were more fitting to each however the Burris Signature HD continued to blow me away because even taking the 10X VS 15X magnification into consideration?...the Burris was every bit as crisp & clean as the 15 year old Swaro I paid a good penny for when bought new...then again?...from what I saw this Burris matched the glass of a $1,000 Loopey VX5-HD I had intended on purchasing (until I spun its mushy turrets) and now?...The Burris Sig HD was about to be compared again as I shot with a coworker friend yesterday who just purchased 2 new Vortex scopes...a Strike Eagle for his Ruger Precision (6.5 CM) and a Venom for his Rem Tactical (.308) and both were FFP 5-25X56 scopes...

VORTEXS.JPG

VENOM.JPG

STRIKEAGLE.JPG

and we were excited to compare them against each other and my Burris Sig HD...
BURRIS1.JPG

and that's how I wound up buying a 2nd Burris Sig HD today and mounting it on my DPMS LR-308 A4 as we each agreed the Burris's glass was both brighter and crisper than that of the Venom or Strike Eagle...The Burris even seemed to track better but I'm withholding adjudication on that as his mounts were new as well and could've been losing torque values as things stretched and settled in but I'm happy as a lark to have a 2nd Burris Sig HD on my Panther...
BURRIS2.JPG
BURRIS3.JPG

and to make matters even sweeter?...Bass Pro had $100 in points if I used my Club Members card so?...I did! :)
BURRIS4.JPG

Hope y'all enjoyed cause I sure did! :)

I'm surprised these don't sell better. I agree they're a very nice scope for their price.

Burris lists these in their hunting line up and don't provide a mil type reticle for them. That's what holds them back for this crowd.

Something pretty cool coming though that will fix that.

I'm surprised these don't sell better. I agree they're a very nice scope for their price.

Burris lists these in their hunting line up and don't provide a mil type reticle for them. That's what holds them back for this crowd.

Thanks for concurring and yep...I get that the lack of a FFP option with a range finding capable reticle discludes the Sig HD as an option in mil based circles however my old eyes appreciate the less cluttered view that a BDC type reticle offers but the big enchilada on the Sig HD was the clean glass and crisp turrets and while I refused myself to even look through the $2,500 Vortex Razor HD?...the only two scopes I saw that bested the glass on the Sig HD's were a Nightforce SHV and a Zeiss V4 and as a side note the Swaro 3-18 Z5 actually disappointed by appearing a bit yellowed.

I don't see myself shooting over 600yds with my 20" barreled FN PBR let alone my 16" barreled DPMS Panther so a non-mil type reticle wasn't a deal breaker for me and feel the Sig HD's were fine selections for both but that won't stop me from being curiously excited about "What's Coming" because I've been looking at some long barreled Bergara's lately. ;)

Any more info here?

Maybe a Burris hunting line up version that would be a LRHS competitor? 30mm tube, mil ret, 26-ish-oz….

Reactions: D_TROS
Any more info here?

Maybe a Burris hunting line up version that would be a LRHS competitor? 30mm tube, mil ret, 26-ish-oz….
I cant say anything about it I'm afraid. It was a prototype in Greeley.

But I know at some point I think in the near future Burris will phase out and replace the XTRII. Due to the 1k'ish price tag of the illuminated XTRIII, I suspect they will roll out a high quality optic in the $500 to $700 price point.

I wouldn't be surprised to even see a couple new optics roll out that run the kind of quality we used to pay $1000 for.

.....I wouldn't be surprised to even see a couple new optics roll out that run the kind of quality we used to pay $1000 for.
From what I see they already have because I can not express this enough that I wrestled with deciding on what scope I was going to buy for several weeks if not a full month researching and reading reviews and finally drew a line at buying american and with decision made walked into bass pro to literally "BUY" a $999.99 Leupold 3-15X44 VX5-HD fully intending to walk out of the store with it and took one last looksey and it was all good until I spun the soggy feeling top turret that had zero audible sound and you'd have to be just shy of a professional safecracker to actually feel the clicks and that's when I said..."Hey...can I take one last look at that Burris Signature HD again?"...and in a side-by-side comparison?....I couldn't tell one bit of difference in the glass between the two.

Now the argument could be made that that was just "In The Store" but at the range?....clarity wise there also isn't a bit of difference between the Sig HD and my 15 year old Swarovski 3-10X42 AV and as far as low-light transmission goes?...at 3X I see what I would see with the naked eye and ambient light at night except magnified 3X with either one..the Sig or the Swaro.

Sorry about being so verbose but I guess I'm still pretty excited about having such great scopes. :)

I cant say anything about it I'm afraid. It was a prototype in Greeley.

But I know at some point I think in the near future Burris will phase out and replace the XTRII. Due to the 1k'ish price tag of the illuminated XTRIII, I suspect they will roll out a high quality optic in the $500 to $700 price point.

I wouldn't be surprised to even see a couple new optics roll out that run the kind of quality we used to pay $1000 for.
Sounds awesome. I’m here for it.

By that I mean I’ll use the XTR3 to hunt with until something more hunt-ish comes along.

Reactions: Birddog6424

I wholeheartedly agree, they are a great little scope. I personally feel like the reticle selection (or lack there of) is what is keeping them from selling better. I have the perfect little 6mmAI that is begging for something just like the Signature HD. The E3 reticle is kinda/sorta usable for wind holds but I am just not a fan of the "BDC" style of one size fits nothing lol.

Reticle selection is literally the only thing stopping me from having 2-3 of these in the safe right now. If they'd offer the Long Range MOA that's available in the Fullfield IV, i'd give the Signature HD a much harder look.

t

Reactions: Birddog6424
I wholeheartedly agree, they are a great little scope. I personally feel like the reticle selection (or lack there of) is what is keeping them from selling better. I have the perfect little 6mmAI that is begging for something just like the Signature HD. The E3 reticle is kinda/sorta usable for wind holds but I am just not a fan of the "BDC" style of one size fits nothing lol.

Reticle selection is literally the only thing stopping me from having 2-3 of these in the safe right now. If they'd offer the Long Range MOA that's available in the Fullfield IV, i'd give the Signature HD a much harder look.

t

Yep, I agree.

An SCR in this optic would open it up to the tactical/target crowd and it would sell very well for them!

Reactions: T J
…The E3 reticle is kinda/sorta usable for wind holds but I am just not a fan of the "BDC" style of one size fits nothing lol.

Reticle selection is literally the only thing stopping me from having 2-3 of these in the safe right now…

TJ… Burris has an online ballistic calculator where are you simply load in your bullet information such as FPS, Bullet weight, BC, Elevation etc and the calculator will tell you to the yard what distance your BDC graduations represent also?…If you stick with a specific load and give Burris your bullet drop information they will cut you one custom yardage match marked turret cap at no cost to you like loopies CDS program.

Personally?…I don’t see where any mil/moa grid reticles have any advantage over doped turrets and a range finder then again?…I’m different. LOL ;)

…The E3 reticle is kinda/sorta usable for wind holds but I am just not a fan of the "BDC" style of one size fits nothing lol.

Reticle selection is literally the only thing stopping me from having 2-3 of these in the safe right now…

TJ… Burris has an online ballistic calculator where are you simply load in your bullet information such as FPS, Bullet weight, BC, Elevation etc and the calculator will tell you to the yard what distance your BDC graduations represent also?…If you stick with a specific load and give Burris your bullet drop information they will cut you one custom yardage match marked turret cap at no cost to you like loopies CDS program.

Personally?…I don’t see where any mil/moa grid reticles have any advantage over doped turrets and a range finder then again?…I’m different. LOL ;)
I actually agree with that to an extent. To me a BDC simply represents a yardage for each line, regardless of what sort of rifle or load the BDC was made to represent. I run BDCs in 3 Gun and actually prefer them.

But they aren't as popular amongst the shooting community at larger who believe the BDC is made for certain calibers only. And feel they lack detail for long range precision.

Reactions: JINKSTER
@JINKSTER I completely get where you're coming from & I probably should have clarified why I don't care for BDC reticles. I actually started long range shooting with a Leupold Varmint Hunter reticle & it worked, kinda.

The BDC would probably work decently for the rifle & have in mind for a Signature HD & I still might go that direction. However, after utilizing graduated reticles (pick your flavor) for many years I feel BDC reticles lack the refinement that I've come to prefer.

You are also correct in stating that utilizing a ballistic calculator will tell you exactly what yardage the BDC hash marks will be "on". I just don't think they offer enough of an advantage, or any at all, over something as simple as say Burris' SCR for both wind and elevation. I feel the BDC system leaves me lacking, for lack of a better term.

It definitely is a "each to their own" type of situation. Just like Mil vs MOA, both work just fine.

t

@JINKSTER I completely get where you're coming from & I probably should have clarified why I don't care for BDC reticles. I actually started long range shooting with a Leupold Varmint Hunter reticle & it worked, kinda.

The BDC would probably work decently for the rifle & have in mind for a Signature HD & I still might go that direction. However, after utilizing graduated reticles (pick your flavor) for many years I feel BDC reticles lack the refinement that I've come to prefer.

You are also correct in stating that utilizing a ballistic calculator will tell you exactly what yardage the BDC hash marks will be "on". I just don't think they offer enough of an advantage, or any at all, over something as simple as say Burris' SCR for both wind and elevation. I feel the BDC system leaves me lacking, for lack of a better term.

It definitely is a "each to their own" type of situation. Just like Mil vs MOA, both work just fine.

t
Agreed and I really appreciate that we can discuss our personal preferences in a gentlemanly fashion here and I thank everyone in this discussion for your outstanding character.

Who knows…I’m not a competitive shooter so rules don’t apply to me but if they ever did?…I could see myself possibly migrating towards a more technical reticle pending venue but like you inferred it’s what we get used to that often times dictates our preferences…for me the BDC grads are just there for time sensitive emergency use otherwise?…I could be happy with a Duplex, Turrets and a RF because the most important feature of a scope to me is the glass which must be bright and crisp which brings up another wonderment of mine because here we strive for max light transmission but then some block that light with Christmas Tree grids?

Just thinking out loud.

I actually agree with that to an extent. To me a BDC simply represents a yardage for each line, regardless of what sort of rifle or load the BDC was made to represent. I run BDCs in 3 Gun and actually prefer them.

But they aren't as popular amongst the shooting community at larger who believe the BDC is made for certain calibers only. And feel they lack detail for long range precision.
They definitely work like that, but a simple mildot would work just as well.

Things went real well at the range with the 2nd Burris Sig HD but at first they didn't as I initially had a Vortex 3X Prism Scope on this DPMS LR-308 A4 (16"/carbine) that left me thinking it shot a couple different loads just as well (147gr Pindad Mil FMJ's & 150gr Fed Power-Shock SP's) where I started out with the Pindad 147 FMJ's and things seemed rather dismal in both groupings and turret adjustments well?...it wasn't the turrets...and when I switched over to the Fed 150 SP's?...wow...2-3" groups at 100yds (top) turned into two consecutive sub-moa 3 shot groups (bottom)...

IMG_4536.JPG

then spun the turrets 1/2 moa down and 1 moa left and moved out to 200yds and took 7 shots (rain clouds were moving in and the wind was kicking up) and my 1st session with the 3-15X44 Burris on the DPMS 308 was over...
IMG_4530.JPG

WAAT2524.JPG

So I'm very pleased with this 2nd 3-15X44 Burris Sig HD scope on the DPMS 308 and then came home to a box at my door...my new Caldwell Precision Turret Rest and I bet that is going to help me tighten things up...

IMG_4535.JPG

It's a freaking beast of a rest! :)

Good fun!

I have DPMS GII SASS in .308. It likes the heavy stuff. It's killer with 175gr class bullets with the 10" twist. It's slow at 2500fps, but very accurate.

I ran it with 155s in Heavy Metal 3 Gun and shot my first PRS matches with it and learned the ropes. I'm still very fond of it.

Last edited:
Good fun!

I have DPMS GII SASS in .308. It likes the heavy stuff. It's killer with 175gr class bullets with the 10" twist. It's slow at 2500fps, but very accurate.

I ran it with 155s in Heavy Metal 3 Gun and shot my first PRS matches with it and learned the ropes. I'm still very fond of it.
Thanks for reminding me of the 1:10 twist preference for heavy metal...I've been tinkering with several rifles lately and my other 308 is an FN PBR with a 20"/1:12 twist that likes the light stuff...now you have me excited to try some 175gr bullets because you concur with everything I hear (and experience) about the DPMS 308's exhibiting some outstanding accuracy levels. I have a Geissele SSA-E 2-Stage in mine and I really like when that 1 3/4lb 1st stage hits that wall of the 2nd stage 1lb and then breaks extra crispy like and my should appreciates the Precision Armament Severe Duty Brake/Comp I mounted on the end...Badger Ord O/S Charging handle and Magpul furniture complete the package except?....now I'm thinking I might want to swap out the A2 front sight and handguard for an adjustable gas block and railed out handguard....the fun never ends does it? LOL!

DPMSMOD1.JPG

GEISSELE1.JPG

COMP4.JPG

I just ordered 5-25x50 with the E3 reticle for my custom 7 mag I hunt with. I got over the FFP scopes on my hunting rigs real quick after one season hunting with one on one of my rigs. In the South where I hunt our bucks like to come out first and last 30 min of light and you can barely pick up the FFP cross hairs on low magnification with low light. Scope seems to fit what I wanted so we’ll see. Hope I like mine as much as you have yours OP.

That's a lot of magnification for a hunting rig but 7mag?...I'm guessing that's your bean field rifle?

Either way the glass is awesome for the price point in the Sig HD line and the info sharing has built a solid foundation with regards to Burris's Online Ballistic Calculator found here...

https://www.burrisoptics.com/ballistics#main:25

Enjoy your new scope and yeah...while FFP has its place?....I think the masses are beginning to understand it ain't in the hunting woods.

Maybe if people actually looked at the reticle subtensions on a FFP they’d know what they’re getting into instead of going with the cool guy PRS thin reticle for the woods. A good start is .05 mil thickness. Mil quads, THLR in a Minox and Athlon Helos BTR 2-12 fall into this category. Burris had a G2B and claimed it was .05 mil but the 4 I have are nowhere near as bold as a mil quad, which I have 7 of in different mag flavors. Pretty easy to bracket with these reticles.

Maybe if people actually looked at the reticle subtensions on a FFP they’d know what they’re getting into instead of going with the cool guy PRS thin reticle for the woods. A good start is .05 mil thickness. Mil quads, THLR in a Minox and Athlon Helos BTR 2-12 fall into this category. Burris had a G2B and claimed it was .05 mil but the 4 I have are nowhere near as bold as a mil quad, which I have 7 of in different mag flavors. Pretty easy to bracket with these reticles.
Actually?…folks got led down the cool guy path by following folks who shoot targets painted bedsheet white while standing out in the wide open spaces that they know the exact dimensions of to the inch and all done in the bright light of day now?…try using that same flavor of equipment in a dark bottom at sunset where you’ll need about 3X to even see through your ffp scope that you can no longer see the Christmas tree on as your target move’s through the woods like a jigsaw puzzle you only get to see momentary bits and pieces of…it’s a different world requiring different kit.

That's a lot of magnification for a hunting rig but 7mag?...I'm guessing that's your bean field rifle?

Either way the glass is awesome for the price point in the Sig HD line and the info sharing has built a solid foundation with regards to Burris's Online Ballistic Calculator found here...

https://www.burrisoptics.com/ballistics#main:25

Enjoy your new scope and yeah...while FFP has its place?....I think the masses are beginning to understand it ain't in the hunting woods.

Well I always liked my 7 mags & built it for an elk hunting trip with my dad we’ve yet to take unfortunately. It started life as Savage 114 American classic 270win I decided to build with a #5 26” fluted barrel put in a manners MCS-T stock. It’s about my go to hunting rifle now from timber to fields, just fits like a glove and balanced well. It has a 4-16x44 Vortex Viper HS-LR on it now that I’ll put on another rifle. It’ll be delivered tomorrow so hopefully get to mount it and test it out at the range soon. If the glass is good and tracks true I’ll be a happy fella.