• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Now that it's legal to shoulder a pistol brace. Thoughts pistol vs SBR?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
Been kicking around the idea of building a braced pistol lately and wanted to know what peoples thoughts on them vs an SBR? Just curious, thanks!

Ben

For me these days... between the wait, money, and hassle (prints & photo) what's the point really of SBRing !

It's not really legal to shoulder a brace. They just give you enough rope to hang yourself with.

It's not really legal to shoulder a brace. They just give you enough rope to hang yourself with.

^^^This...
INAL

It's not legal. That said, the ATF isn't out looking to bust people for shouldering an AR pistol. Most ranges won't care. Maybe if someone used their pistol in another crime they would add on the charge of shouldering a pistol. It's not an easy law to enforce.

Do you travel out of state with said pistol/SBR? If SBR'd you have to submit a form to the ATF before traveling out of state, so that's a plus on the pistol side.

A negative of the pistol side is that when the ATF wants to ban specific ammo not to be used in "pistols", that can affect AR owners, as many AR types can have a pistol version.

Plus for SBR is you can put any stock you want, and swap stocks easily.
Negative for SBR... need to engrave the lower, or somewhere it can be easily seen, and it must be locked up away from family members or housemates that aren't on the trust.

New pistol braces are getting much cooler and usable. Maxim pistol brace looks real cool.

It's really not that difficult to file form 1 or form 4's, and wait times will get better real soon. I SBR'd most of my existing lowers before the rule change, and I'll add another pistol lower in the future.

There are good and bad to both sides, so I understand not wanting to jump thru the hoops, but I have an SBR fetish, so there is that. You can legally rest the brace on your chest, if that helps. I'm sure you'll figure out what's best for you.

Scott

For 200 bucks and a small-ish wait I would choose an SBR over a pistol any day. I have 2 SBR's that I shot as pistols while waiting for my Form 1's to clear. I did both when the e-forms were still accepted and my first was approved after 30 days.....the second took around 3 months.

Even with the longer waits I would still send in a Form 1.

I'm not messing with short barrels, brace, or no brace, until the legal concept of "SBR" goes away. So probably never.

But, I'm also a coward, so there's that.

I tend towards pistols as I travel and move more often, but sbr would be more fun at the range...though you can get pretty decent with a pistol even with just buffer tube.