• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Now thats a jump!

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Hey guys, just wondering on everyones thought on Jump.
I have a 308 rifle with a deep throat. Loading long it shoots ok if I do my part. Keeps a 5 round group under 2"s at 200. Plenty good for me.
Im considering adding a detachable mag, if nothing else ease of loading. If I do so my jump will be at least .131 . Thats a long way down vs the .023 im shooting now.
So, what do you guys think, can a deep throat rifle shoot just as good with a long jump.
Thanks!

Look at some of the jumps on weatherby and Remington rifles and AR’s.
a good bit more than. .131.

Seat at mag length and do a jump test and I’m confident you’ll find something that shoots.

Reactions: diggler1833
I've seen tests where guys had sub-MOA accuracy while jumping .150. It isn't great for benchrest shooting, but it works for casual use.

I have jumped 175's .140 and it was a great load. Don't be afraid of the jump.

I’ve loaded for and shot original M40A1’s that were so long in the throat that a Stoney Point gauge would push a 175 SMK out of the neck before it contacted the rifling. I also happened to place first in the Quantico Vintage Sniper Match with that same rifle 2 years in a row.

Food for thought here; Is jump proportional to bullet diameter, length, weight, etc. For example would .060 jump be considered effectively longer in a 22 cal bullet than .060 in a .308 cal bullet?

Food for thought here; Is jump proportional to bullet diameter, length, weight, etc. For example would .060 jump be considered effectively longer in a 22 cal bullet than .060 in a .308 cal bullet?
To some degree yes, but at the same time (to an extent) jump distance is somewhat irrelevant.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
When i went to upgrade my 1903A3 with a weaver 2.5X scope to try vintage sniper, i measured my throat. It was stll holding about 1.5 moa with non optical match sights. Turns out the throat was .500 inches. The bullet fell out of the case. I had no idea because i had to load to the mag length and it was still shooting as good as it ever did. Go figure.

Like they said. You don’t know if you don’t try

David