• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Now That's a Turn .... USS Gerald Ford Sea Trials

At 00:35 you're seeing an emergency stop or "crash back".

You get going on a flank bell (as fast as the ship can be driven fwd) and then the bridge rings "all back full" on the engine telegraph. The strain on the power plants is enormous and it takes all of the plant operators' skill from the Propulsion Plant Watch Officer to the Feed Pump Watch to everyone in between to keep everything (including reactor parameters) from exceeding redlines.

BTDT, USS Nimitz (CVN-68)

First thing that came to my mind, was the movie "Cool Runnings" when the boys were practicing in the bathtub. I can hear the Captain on the 1-MC now:

"Ships Company, lean to Port"

"Now Lean to Starboard"

:D

• Haha
Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
It is really quite mind blowing to watch something that huge turn so sharply! The engine power is enormous, and obviously they are using maneuvering thrusters as well, but holy cow!!

"It is really quite mind blowing to watch something that huge turn so sharply! " that's what she said, let's just get it out of the way.

Smithsonian has a special on about the Shake Down of the HMS Queen Elizabeth.

They are calling it a "Super Carrier"

I think the Ford has davits to lift the HMS Queen Elizabeth out of the water when our ally desires hull checks.

Anyway even disregarding how the show tries to hype anything they do on that ship while praising the Muslim cook for anything he does there is a lot of shit that goes wrong putting one of these beasts through their initial stress tests apparently.

obviously they are using maneuvering thrusters as well

Where do people with no actual knowledge of things get shit like this?

You know shit from shinola about aircraft carrier propulsion engineering, something I did for a living.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1J04
Smithsonian has a special on about the Shake Down of the HMS Queen Elizabeth.

They are calling it a "Super Carrier"

I think the Ford has davits to lift the HMS Queen Elizabeth out of the water when our ally desires hull checks.

Anyway even disregarding how the show tries to hype anything they do on that ship while praising the Muslim cook for anything he does there is a lot of shit that goes wrong putting one of these beasts through their initial stress tests apparently.

There's no actual definition of what a "supercarrier" is. It's a term made up by pundits and the press, like "assault weapon".

However, I think most naval officers, naval architects and marine engineers agree that the prototype for the term is the USS Forrestal (CV-59).

While Forrestal was not the first carrier with an angled deck, steam catapults, and arresting gear (the Royal Navy pioneered all three), it was the first to include all three in a ship capable of supporting over 80 aircraft in its wing and displacing over 50,000 tons.

The Queen Elizabeth, while not having cats and traps, does have a deck design that could support them and it displaces 65,000 tons (5000 tons heavier than Forrestal).

Damn, that's impressive. I was wondering what powered this massive thing and found this. BFP. Big. Fucking. Props.

PS/Add - Kind of surprised the props are allowed to be shown in photo.

Kind of thought prop design was classified.

Perhaps only for subs. Subs tend to keep the props screened if a ship is photographed and they are visible.

Last edited:
There's no actual definition of what a "supercarrier" is. It's a term made up by pundits and the press, like "assault weapon".

However, I think most naval officers, naval architects and marine engineers agree that the prototype for the term is the USS Forrestal (CV-59).

While Forrestal was not the first carrier with an angled deck, steam catapults, and arresting gear (the Royal Navy pioneered all three), it was the first to include all three in a ship capable of supporting over 80 aircraft in its wing and displacing over 50,000 tons.

The Queen Elizabeth, while not having cats and traps, does have a deck design that could support them and it displaces 65,000 tons (5000 tons heavier than Forrestal).

Brits also solved the puzzle of how to land the Vought F4U Corsair onto a carrier thus making it able to perform the duty it was designed for.

By the way didnt realize you were an Anglophile, you should gets some meds/therapy for that.

Perhaps only for subs. Subs tend to keep the props screened if a ship is photographed and they are visible.

They got the photos from the Chinese , you need any information about anything classified by our government you can ask China to forward you that information.

Brits also solved the puzzle of how to land the Vought F4U Corsair onto a carrier thus making it able to perform the duty it was designed for.

By the way didnt realize you were an Anglophile, you should gets some meds/therapy for that.
Not really an Anglophile. Just like giving credit where it's due.

Reactions: Barneybdb
Stand by for heavy rolls as the ship comes about.
Other fun shit: (USS Avenger MCM 1)
1572556599805.png

Pics don't do justice to how massive 100,000 tons of ship really is. I got to walk under mine while it was in drydock.

I also remember my dad's reaction as he got pierside to Nimitz getting ready to come aboard at Pearl Harbor for tiger cruise on our way home to PSNS. He just looked up and said "wow". This from a guy that ran container lines operating some of the largest container ships of the 70s and 80s.

Pics don't do justice to how massive 100,000 tons of ship really is. I got to walk under mine while it was in drydock.

I also remember my dad's reaction as he got pierside to Nimitz getting ready to come aboard at Pearl Harbor for tiger cruise on our way home to PSNS. He just looked up and said "wow". This from a guy that ran container lines operating some of the largest container ships of the 70s and 80s.

You dont get a good understanding of perspective until you see them tied up at dock.

Last warship I visited was in Boston on a Navy Week visit.

Wasp was tied up in S. Boston.

It looked ten stories tall to the flight deck than the Structure added to that.

Very impressive display of hurt.

Stand by for heavy rolls as the ship comes about.
Other fun shit: (USS Avenger MCM 1)
View attachment 7174563

What is going on here?

Is this a minesweeper undergoing some sort of hull test?

Looks like the boat that got stuck on the reef in the PI and it became a big Greta Thunberg triggering PR shit storm.

The ship had to be destroyed.

Guessing some careers ended.

What is going on here?

Is this a minesweeper undergoing some sort of hull test?

Looks like the boat that got stuck on the reef in the PI and it became a big Greta Thunberg triggering PR shit storm.

The ship had to be destroyed.

Guessing some careers ended.
Yes, it is the USS Avenger undergoing shock trials. it not only checks the hull integrity, but the ability of the equipment to continue to function. I've seen the video's taken from inside ships subjected to close aboard explosions. It is amazing how equipment that is bolted down can fly about the compartment.

Yes, it is the same class of ship that ran aground on the Tubbataha reef. That ship was the USS Guardian (MCM 5). There is a serious US Navy fuck story in regards to that.

Here is a video of a Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) undergoing shock trials.

Like this

Attachments

• 753C30D0-CDE9-46C2-A3E4-E565737EF7CE.jpeg
    753C30D0-CDE9-46C2-A3E4-E565737EF7CE.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1A8C609B-2A1E-4598-ACBF-371E5C311D5B.jpeg
    1A8C609B-2A1E-4598-ACBF-371E5C311D5B.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 66
  • 638163D2-4209-443D-A714-B526626C5D11.jpeg
    638163D2-4209-443D-A714-B526626C5D11.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 74

Nah. They lay them out all the time during dry dock. And honestly, the last thing an Aircraft Carrier is worried about is Prop Signature....... :ROFLMAO:

Totally off-the-wall question here, but anyone have any drydock hull-shots of the Iowa class ships, by chance? New Jersey would be aweome'est, but I ain't picky. There's a few around, but not many. So I've been finding, anyways.

It is really quite mind blowing to watch something that huge turn so sharply! The engine power is enormous, and obviously they are using maneuvering thrusters as well, but holy cow!!

"It is really quite mind blowing to watch something that huge turn so sharply! " that's what she said, let's just get it out of the way.

I don't believe it has (side) thrusters. I know my carrier didn't. I'd be surprised if even the new carriers have thrusters, but I could be wrong, eh? A quick google search did not reveal any results indicating the Ford has side thrusters.

I spent two years on the USS Independence CV-62... and going through such maneuvers is quite a ride.

Reactions: 1J04
I don't believe it has (side) thrusters. I know my carrier didn't. I'd be surprised if even the new carriers have thrusters, but I could be wrong, eh? A quick google search did not reveal any results indicating the Ford has side thrusters.

I spent two years on the USS Independence CV-62... and going through such maneuvers is quite a ride.

Were you on the Indy when it was Homeported in Yokosuka by chance? And yes, full power runs during Compex and Rediex with full AirWing and Crew was the shizzle.

Were you on the Indy when it was Homeported in Yokosuka by chance? And yes, full power runs during Compex and Rediex with full AirWing and Crew was the shizzle.

Yes... I rode the ship during the move to Yokosuka. I processed out of the Navy 6 weeks later. So, my last 6 weeks in the Navy were in Yokosuka.

Those are a fantastic looking fighting ship.

You're not wrong Brother. Re-enlisted on that Big Ass Battle Wagon when I was in Drydock and it was still in MothBalls at PSNS. Right where the Japanese signed the surrender. What a moment. Then Sailed with her years later when I was on Midway. THAT was the shit.

Yes... I rode the ship during the move to Yokosuka. I processed out of the Navy 6 weeks later. So, my last 6 weeks in the Navy were in Yokosuka.

Well thx for relieving CV-41 !! ;)

Totally off-the-wall question here, but anyone have any drydock hull-shots of the Iowa class ships, by chance? New Jersey would be aweome'est, but I ain't picky. There's a few around, but not many. So I've been finding, anyways.
I seen the Jersey when I was in Beirut, to me she's still the most beautiful ship in the world.