• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Now THAT'S Art!

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    This is my style of Art. Was hanging on the wall (two of them) and My Lady and myself both instantly thought "We need to do this, at home."
    Brass Art.gif
    Brass Wall.gif

So from now on, we are saving ALL of our culled brass, just for this purpose. Donations greatly accepted. Has to be culls though, as no self-respecting 2A enthusiasts would take something perfectly viable and remove it from use. :D

What is the adhesive? Perhaps clear bar top epoxy?
    Diver, that is almost identical to what I was thinking. Only difference being, my thoughts are something 'thin' that is sprayable, to get both the inside AND the outside, to prevent tarnishing. That is what they had done, just not sure how. None of the brass were de-primed (that I remember) but none of them were 'full' of epoxy, either. But everything was covered, and the base of it all definitely had a layer there.

We really want to do this here. But we refuse to use any of our good brass, hence why we're now saving culls, and looking for anyone else's. Any caliber is applicable, as our intent is going to be more 'universal'.

Diver, that is almost identical to what I was thinking. Only difference being, my thoughts are something 'thin' that is sprayable, to get both the inside AND the outside, to prevent tarnishing. That is what they had done, just not sure how. None of the brass were de-primed (that I remember) but none of them were 'full' of epoxy, either. But everything was covered, and the base of it all definitely had a layer there.

We really want to do this here. But we refuse to use any of our good brass, hence why we're now saving culls, and looking for anyone else's. Any caliber is applicable, as our intent is going to be more 'universal'.

If you placed the brass in patterns and used different sizes for different effects it would look al lot cooler I think than just gluing brass to a board like they did. Fiberglass resin will work well for this too but they have gloss varnishes they spray over the top of everything.

You may have to remind me, but I'll send you all my reject brass instead of scrapping it, which is what I was saving it for. Lots of 5.56, .50bmg, .22lr, sure there are other various pieces in there too, but not sure the volume. I have probably a large priority USPS box full? It's in all kinds of conditions but all were rejected from loading for one reason or another ranging from crush damage to dented necks to split necks, dented shoulders, stuck primer remnants, etc. The .22 just can't be reloaded of course.

Your choice, just PM me. I suppose I could take a picture of it all laid out so you could see if it's what you want or not, if it would fit your plan. Just let me know.

The bartop epoxy will “ yellow “ if poured too thick at one time. It has to be done in layers.
    There are casting resins that dont turn yellow and can be poured thick. Plenty of you tube videos on how to do it. Stuff is kind of expensive but not too bad

I like the table top idea. I think it would be cool if you placed the rifle you used to shoot all the brass in the center or off center then filled in around it with brass, glue em down then pull the gun out before epoxy.

Casting resin is the way to go (also called "doming" resin). Had a buddy make a round end table with belted .308; came out nice.

I was about a quarter the way through a cedar live edge river table using bartop resin before i found out about the casting resin. Do some research as there are several different types of it. Some talk longer to cure than others. Also if you do it in an “unclean room” like the garage no matter how clean it is ,build a box out of the foam insulation sheets with a lid. Nothin worse that putting what you think is the finish top coat on and come out the next day and find a damn mosquito sruck in what used to be the final coat.
    Also the resins can be tinted or dyed using different paints if you would so desire. research youtube for someme videos
    6AA92163-4B2B-4813-9B47-F35C80B55DB0.jpeg
    A77AE26A-0061-4791-8588-30608960A666.jpeg