• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes now which one !!!!!!!!!!!

macv

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2004
no. wisconsin. USA
OK, so now I have made a choice btwn. 2 spotting scopes. I can get either one for the same price. Both new.
1. Busnell Elite 20x60x80

2. Pentax PF 65 20x60x65 Both have ED glass.

Is the 80 Obj. going to give me that much more light? Anyone ever make a comparison btwn. the 2 scopes? Thanks for looking in.

Re: now which one !!!!!!!!!!!

I've got the Bushnell Elite and think its a great spotting scope. But it is a bit big. Used to have the Pentax but sold it because of the short eye relief. Now this might not be a problem for you as I wear glasses and this is always a problem for me. Also had a Nikon scope that was really clear but again the eye relief killed me. The Bushnell has very generous eye relief. The 80mm glass will make a difference, but remember its a bigger and longer scope.

Hey, thanks for the report. I also wear glasses and that would be my problem as well. I was kind of stuck on the Bushnell until yesterday when I spoke to one of the hides sponsers who thought that the Pentax would serve me well. We did not at that time consider the fact that I wore glasses and what the eye relief was on either scope. A point that is very important. At the present time I am useing the Bushnell space master which has been OK for the last 7 years or so. It is the 15x45x60, but I just want to upgrade my optics a bit. If the budget was bigger, the scope would be a better one. Besides , my range is only 300 yards. As far as the size of the Bushnell goes does not create that much of a problem, as my walk to the benches is not that far. Are there other eyepices that can be used with the Bushnell of that model? Just a thought for the future. Thanks a bunch.

Save a little longer and get the 80mm Pentax.It's just a tiny bit under the big Euro three spotting scopes in clarity and resolution but only a $1000.The eyepieces are top notch!

Steve

Steve, yes, I know. I read a report about it. It was right up there with the big ones. But as you know, haste makes waste. I have been seeing some really good deals at this time on the Bushnell and the Pentax. As a matter of fact, I feel asleep the other day when I should have been bidding on the Bush. 20x60x80. When I woke up the bidding was over and it went for 499.00. NIB. And only one bidder too. Missed it by 30 min. He who snoozies, looses. Maybe another way to get a more quality scope is to look for a used one. I like the Kowa's, but, I can only look at them. Thanks for the input.