• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NOX-18 Review

The King

Back to the Range
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2004
    Florence, CO
    Ahoy All. Just got my NOX-18 from Strictly Offensive Kit. Preston is the man. @SkyScrapin

Wanted to put down a review and mention how it rolls with what I do. I have about 3 hours now behind the glass.

Intended Use
    I am planning to use this unit as a helmet mounted rig. 18mm thermals on a rifle aren't very exciting to me. I wanted something tough/american made/etc. Ever since my horrifying nightmare run-in with @TheHorta that one time.

Toys in the Box
    -Included....a challenge coin buddy! Thermals that don't come with a challenge coin aren't even on my radar anymore. Fuck those cheapskates with no challenge coin in there. To make sure everyone knows you have a challenge coin they might trade you , you have a patch you can wear on your Arcteryx Alpha Jacket.

-Has a nifty 18650 adapter so you don't get to watch CR123's weep in agony as this thing drains them like a fucking vampire.

I think my battery life with the 123 was 12 seconds or something. When I opened the battery compartment and smoke didn't pour out I was amazed. The rest of the package of CR123's literally sprouted legs and ran away like cockroaches. They took the package with them.

Tip -use the USB-C and run an Anker brand battery. I stuff two of these fuckers in a helmet pouch as a counterweight and to have a spare in case anything eats shit. Which is every time. And if I have to, I can toss one as a flash bang grenade. Lithium batteries go up at the slightest provocation it seems.

-Also has a package with an Allen key and some midget package of fucking terrible anal lube. There wasn't enough of it so it just seemed like everything ground to a halt after a few tosses. No biggie - I have CLP. @Bender - thanks for the pro-tip.

-And, finally, instructions. I guess. Who reads the directions on something that cost $6200 and probably has about 10 ways you can break it if you don't read the instructions? Poors, that's who. @TheGerman

1614718383810.png

Indoors

Typical indoor performance, as expected from a 640 thermal. Perhaps the thing I would note is that the display appears larger than some thermals, like the MH25. See if you can spot the fleeing CR123.

tempImageUNO6Xh.png

Helmet Mounted
    Performance helmet mounted is typical. You have to remove the factory mount and flip it over in order to use it left eye. The weight loss is worth it. Same thing with tossing the battery everything and just using a USB-C pack.
    tempImageAxi9oi.png

Additionally, the USB-C connector is well thought out and will probably be VERY tough. I look forward to snapping the end off in the device for once instead of completely buttfucking my expensive thermal. Maybe this is what the lube was for?
    tempImageo8s31k.png

Outdoors
    Outdoors performance is pretty good. I expect to detect a man sized target at maybe 700m. These pictures suck. I took a sideways shot of @TheGerman s ride.
    tempImageD8dGyw.png

Last edited:
    Is that the factory mount or is it some other mount? I plan on buying a NOX 18 and really want to line up both ocular lenses on the 14 & 18. Curious of your thoughts on this? Am I over thinking it or does it really matter all that much?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-065639_Ghostery.jpg
      Screenshot_20210303-065639_Ghostery.jpg
      178.7 KB · Views: 137
    I too think i will be running an ankler vs the batteries and extension tube. I bump into the extension when trying to dig out eye boogers, look down the barrel of my loaded gun and double check that my full power laser is on.

Reactions: dontchaworryboutit
    Is that the factory mount or is it some other mount? I plan on buying a NOX 18 and really want to line up both ocular lenses on the 14 & 18. Curious of your thoughts on this? Am I over thinking it or does it really matter all that much?

You take the shoe off of the first side of the NOX and move it to the other side. But you lose the factory ADM mount when you do it. So no popping it onto a rifle.

Its more an OCD type thing than it is a practical issue. They don't exactly line up - but its 1/8th of an inch or so and you have way more aligning slop in the optical assemblies themselves when you have the right eye relief.

To further the point, I have run other thermals like the FLIR Breach that were much more unforgiving ass end optics AND further out of alignment and it was fine.

--------
    Where people really have issues is every brain is different regarding how it tolerates seeing two different things at the same time. I theorize that some folks have their eyes try to cross-focus themselves causing a headache.

This can be dealt with some by closing one eye and opening the other really fast when you are setting up your rig - if one eye is out of focus turn your ocular until both units stay in focus. But that doesn't always work.

I seem to get about 60pct of people that try it being fine and 40pct are about to fall over.

I'm working on a test that people can try that might confirm my suspicions. Close one eye and start blinking the other one. Do this for both eyes. I suspect that if your other eye tries to keep opening (more than 1/4 of the time), you may have issues. If you can't close just one eyelid then thats even worse...

Results still pending.

I too think i will be running an ankler vs the batteries and extension tube. I bump into the extension when trying to dig out eye boogers, look down the barrel of my loaded gun and double check that my full power laser is on.

After checking that full power laser for function, I have a sister that needs a husband.

She's ugly, but she's a complete bitch. She can burn water, and doesn't know what a broom does. I recommend the 3m 2-color earplugs and a long trip to the range with the belted before you meet her.

After checking that full power laser for function, I have a sister that needs a husband.

She's ugly, but she's a complete bitch. She can burn water, and doesn't know what a broom does. I recommend the 3m 2-color earplugs and a long trip to the range with the belted before you meet her.
    I already got one of those. Is she fat too?

Reactions: mikefraz
    I already got one of those. Is she fat too?
    I can't really tell. The sun fails when she shows up and everything is darkness and cold.

Two is the magic number - that way they can spend all day bitterly scheming against you in preparation for your return. If you got 3 they would eventually find something else to do and start ignoring you in a pretty good imitation of Nirvana.

Last edited:
    How hard is it to twist the focus ring on yours? Mine seems to be very tight to where I think i'm unscrewing the unit open.

So whats your initial take? Is it all that? I've been on back order for awhile and should be getting mine soon. Since the coti went on sale I've been knocking around the idea of canceling the nox and getting a second pvs14 and a coti instead.

So whats your initial take? Is it all that? I've been on back order for awhile and should be getting mine soon. Since the coti went on sale I've been knocking around the idea of canceling the nox and getting a second pvs14 and a coti instead.

Different strokes,

If you're a door kicker or in an urban environment where CQB activity is likely, the COTI is going to be a better tool largely because of the NV it clips-on to, it's ability to use passive aiming and IR tools. The Nox is far superior at spotting and ID'ing with head alone at both CQB and at range, but it lacks FOV compare to NVG (thought it's still great) and of course, no ability to aim passively or via IR tools.

I have a pvs14 and am going to run the nox on a bridge with it. So the choice would be between 2 pvs14/coti and 1 pvs14/nox. My wife also has a pvs14 and we ordered a coti for her so in the unlikely event a door needs kicked i can have both pvs14s/coti and the nox on my rifle. I did a lot of homework before ordering and should probably stick with the nox.

I think the wait gives me too much time to over think things. Once I have stuff in hand I'll be too busy using it to worry about it. I'm a member of the semipoors (formally known as the middle class) and these are once in a lifetime purchases so I worry about getting it right.

Eta we live rural in heavy forest and wouldn't be going near anything urban if there was trouble. The vegetation con be very thick but thats why I ordered the 18 vrs the 35.

Last edited:
    I have a pvs14 and am going to run the nox on a bridge with it. So the choice would be between 2 pvs14/coti and 1 pvs14/nox. My wife also has a pvs14 and we ordered a coti for her so in the unlikely event a door needs kicked i can have both pvs14s/coti and the nox on my rifle. I did a lot of homework before ordering and should probably stick with the nox.

I think the wait gives me too much time to over think things. Once I have stuff in hand I'll be too busy using it to worry about it. I'm a member of the semipoors (formally known as the middle class) and these are once in a lifetime purchases so I worry about getting it right.

Eta we live rural in heavy forest and wouldn't be going near anything urban if there was trouble. The vegetation con be very thick but thats why I ordered the 18 vrs the 35.
    Even in vast open fields the nox kicks ass, i can see a coyote easily to 600+ yards if the contrast is good or if he’s moving. Even weapon mounted the nox will get most things done except pid over my LR. Ill spot something, not know its distance and hop on the LR to tell me more. Rabbit at 300 yards or coyote at 400? LR tells me more, but pair a nox with a pvs and a good illuminator/laser and it would be very hard to beat in my eyes. That being said i have zero experience with a lot of gear for door kicking, so coti and like stuff isn’t even on my radar and i have no experience with it. So i cannot compare, but ive been blown away by my nox.

Thanks guys. Feeling better about it. I got the driving covered. My wife's pvs14 will be on a knights jamr and I've got a knights bridge ordered so we can swap stuff around easy. I'm gonna do the nox on my right eye so it's at least in theory easy to swap to my rifle.

Thanks guys. Feeling better about it. I got the driving covered. My wife's pvs14 will be on a knights jamr and I've got a knights bridge ordered so we can swap stuff around easy. I'm gonna do the nox on my right eye so it's at least in theory easy to swap to my rifle.
    Lefty?

Ambi. The knights clips are left and right specific. My wife has poor vision in her left eye so I get the left one. I've only used my pvs14 on my left eye and it works fine. I want to have the nox on my right eye anyway since I shoot right handed and it will make transition to the rifle easier.

Also why we got her the coti. Only reasonably priced way to get her thermal/NV in one eye.

Last edited:
    Seems to be clear up to 3.5x but too bad the POA shifts with and without the nox-18 in front. Maybe I can still use the digital cross hairs on the thermal. Will try and report back tomorrow.

PXL_20210313_012122648.MP.jpg

Seems to be clear up to 3.5x but too bad the POA shifts with and without the nox-18 in front. Maybe I can still use the digital cross hairs on the thermal. Will try and report back tomorrow.

View attachment 7580085

Had the same results - it was going to make a good clip on for my use.

Except when I mounted mine on the rail it didn’t even point at the same state as the scope did. The first round out of the thermal/vortex 1-10 setup was 12 foot left and 6 feet low at 25 yards.

Huh - now that I typed that maybe my unit wouldn’t be usable as a rifle scope. will the reticle zero out 12ft of off center?
    496E85C1-56D3-43B4-9695-3E2A9F291AEF.jpeg

12ft off at what distance? Probably all depends on consistency and rigidity of your rail system. If very solid (like a SCAR or LMT MWS), I imagine return to zero could be pretty decent and you could ignore your scope’s reticle and just use the built in one...

12ft off at what distance? Probably all depends on consistency and rigidity of your rail system. If very solid (like a SCAR or LMT MWS), I imagine return to zero could be pretty decent and you could ignore your scope’s reticle and just use the built in one...
    25 yards. The rail is the factory Radian M1 rail. It’s very stiff.

My issue is my unit is far off to the left when mounted so it’s a thing. Prevents me from clipping it on. My Q fix rifle did it too. You can even see how far off it is though the optic - the edge of the day optic fov cuts the screen on the right corner something fierce.

I want a helmet mounted unit AND i either flip something before the first battery is run down in it or keep it forever and smash it to shit in the field.

The NOx is so good helmet mounted it’s going to be scrap by the time I sell it, so I don’t care the factory mount is that far off. I took it off and couldn’t even tell you where the fuck it went.

Interesting. Bummer it’s not better aligned left and right with its pic mount.

And you haven’t tried zeroing it in it’s standalone capacity? I imagine if it’s still that far off they’d take care of you under warranty pretty quick.

The ring on mine is tight too....All i got so far is CLP -----> anal lube

Something about fat broads who are ugly and midgets.......will reread when more sober/drunk.... ;)

Engaged in a security response last night at work - LE had a squirter they were looking for around our facility.

It was snow/sleet heavily, which has interesting outcomes for thermal. You can see the hottest stuff decently but all the detail drains out of the rest of your visual.

Didn’t get pics this time. Was too busy not fucking around. Last time they were looking for peeps it was a shooting a few blocks down, so it pays to pay attention.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
    Paired a nox 18 Last night with a (not mine) photonis echo wp last night. Nox has a filter on it. Dialed the nox back to 2 bightness(it was still barely light out), and the color was damn near spot on. It was easy to look through these while looking at white light(neighborhood) and stuff that was white hot. I was truly impressed. Didn’t get to try it in the field but i will, soon.

Paired a nox 18 Last night with a (not mine) photonis echo wp last night. Nox has a filter on it. Dialed the nox back to 2 bightness(it was still barely light out), and the color was damn near spot on. It was easy to look through these while looking at white light(neighborhood) and stuff that was white hot. I was truly impressed. Didn’t get to try it in the field but i will, soon.
    Did you find it easy to look through the nox and the 14 at the same time? When doing so does it add depth perception like looking through 2 14s?

Reactions: Jgunner
    Yes, but it was only a minute and i handed them off to other people. I need to do it in the field and
    Did you find it easy to look through the nox and the 14 at the same time? When doing so does it add depth perception like looking through 2 14s? i handed them off to other people to look.

Had the same results - it was going to make a good clip on for my use.

Except when I mounted mine on the rail it didn’t even point at the same state as the scope did. The first round out of the thermal/vortex 1-10 setup was 12 foot left and 6 feet low at 25 yards.

Huh - now that I typed that maybe my unit wouldn’t be usable as a rifle scope. will the reticle zero out 12ft of off center?
    View attachment 7580175
    I believe the reticle on the nox would need to be sighted and used. The scope would turn into a magnifier.

Reactions: Jim Out
    I found mine very tight as well - I had a test unit - after I sent it back they checked it and said it was WAD. So they want it tight !!

Reactions: MtnGhost
    I found mine very tight as well - I had a test unit - after I sent it back they checked it and said it was WAD. So they want it tight !!
    Yeah support told me that it was suppose to be fairly tight so it doesn't get bumped out of position, but I find it extremely hard to turn inwards (clockwise when looking at the objective side). Ashamed to admit it, but I broke a fingernail the first time I adjusted it lol. Hoping to get more use out of it soon, I'm guessing that it will break in after a while.

Last edited:
    What bridge are you guys using when pairing with a 14?

Also, what is the benefit of mounting the shoe on the underside vs just clipping it on the left side as is?

What bridge are you guys using when pairing with a 14?

Also, what is the benefit of mounting the shoe on the underside vs just clipping it on the left side as is?
    mod armory dovetail.

switching which eye is thermal. But then the other side you cannot run the pic mount, it is not weapon rated

mod armory dovetail.

switching which eye is thermal. But then the other side you cannot run the pic mount, it is not weapon rated
    Guess I’m missing something here. Why not just switch it and keep it mounted as is? Why do you have to mount the dovetail on the other side?

Guess I’m missing something here. Why not just switch it and keep it mounted as is? Why do you have to mount the dovetail on the other side?

I believe it is a control issue. Buttons are on the left side when mounted as is. Battery compartment is on the right side and would interfere with the bridge is prob the big one.

For me it’s a primary eye issue. My Nv compatible weapon sights are on the gun, and I’m a righty.

Can’t use those with a thermal.

So I want the unit on the left, and swap it over.

I believe it is a control issue. Buttons are on the left side when mounted as is. Battery compartment is on the right side and would interfere with the bridge is prob the big one.
    Ok, thanks.

if it’s just a control issue I’d almost rather flip the optic up to manipulate the buttons than lose the mount, but the battery structure interfering with the PVS or mount makes sense.

Ideally I’d like to have the thermal over the left eye, but retain the ability to weapon mount if needed. Doesn’t look like that’ll be the case. Wonder if it would with a different bridge like the Wilcox or Knight? I do like how the Wilcox has an intra-ocular adjustment. I have some time using anvis and the slightest misalignment in the optics drives me crazy.

Edit: After looking at the photos the buttons are still inboard when mounted on the left side, guess it has to be the battery?

... Wonder if it would with a different bridge like the Wilcox or Knight? I do like how the Wilcox has an intra-ocular adjustment...
    Using a different mount is not going to change things. In this case, the distance between eyes is a defining factor. In other words, for comfortable viewing, the distance between optical axis of the NOX and PVS-14 has to be fixed and equal to the distance between centers of your eye pupils. I hope this makes sense.