• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision NOX 35 as a handheld scanner?

bmicek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
I’ve been on the search for a handheld scanner with a base mag of 2 to 2.5x. A bonus would be that it could double as a weapon sight. How is the size of the Nox35? I have no where local to put my hands on one. I’d love something that could be thrown in an oversized coat pocket or maybe a pouch of some kind. I am a little leery of the weight though…

Super Yoter C can scan and is a great weapons mounted light. I believe there’s a new model released so unsure of its feature changes from 2021 model. There may be better options but this fits your bill.

It's a bit longer than the NOX18, and while you can remove the mount to slim it down, it's not super compact. It'll fit in the top pocket of a ruck, but might be a stretch in a coat pocket.

Reactions: bmicek
I use a NOX35 and/or Reap-ir as my primary scanner. It fits great in any larger coat pockets (standard Carhart front jacket pockets work well).

I much prefer it to 1x scanners because you not only see the object, you have enough magnification to identify the object.

I love that it works well as a rifle sight too.

E
I use a NOX35 and/or Reap-ir as my primary scanner. It fits great in any larger coat pockets (standard Carhart front jacket pockets work well).

I much prefer it to 1x scanners because you not only see the object, you have enough magnification to identify the object.

I love that it works well as a rifle sight too.
ever feel that the 2.5x is a bit too much for scanning? I used to use an Iray RH25 but felt like I wanted just a tad more magnification than 1x. I just hope 2.5x isn’t too big of a jump

Reactions: mikefraz
I’ve never wanted less magnification/more FOV when using it. In theory it should make you slower, but it doesn’t because you can instantly recognize objects and not strain to make sure the thing is or isn’t the critter you’re after.

Now, I have used a Halo-LR as a scanner and that was too much (and big).

Reactions: Dogtown
For comparison, if I was running a helmet mounted thermal where wide FOV and 1x would be best, I'd use the NOX18, but for everything else the NOX35 is near perfect. It comes with a dovetail so you can totally use it as a monocular scanner if you wanted, but it's probably better handheld. And it really shines as a weapon-mounted thermal, just not a clip-on.

dovetail and mount removed

Attachments

• IMG_3133.jpeg
    IMG_3133.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3130.jpeg
    IMG_3130.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3128.jpeg
    IMG_3128.jpeg
    708 KB · Views: 59
Spot with a spotter, confirm ID and drop targets using a scope.
Taking the mounts off of a Nox is taking away it's abilities for dual purpose usage and that's what it was designed for.

SJC

scanning hands free with a thermal helmet mounted wins all day everyday. if you dont think so you either havent done it or dont hunt enough.

Reactions: rlsmith1
scanning hands free with a thermal helmet mounted wins all day everyday. if you dont think so you either havent done it or dont hunt enough.
I see what you’re saying but it’s not for everyone. The way we hunt in west Texas with high racks going up and down, back and forth inside the truck and out covering 15-20 sections all night. It’s easier for us to throw it around the neck or put the scanner in your pocket. Yes I’ve tried a helmet setup. Not knocking it but it’s not ideal for the way we hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evolution 9
I currently run a NOX 35 as a handheld scanner and IMO for a handheld its the best on the market, period. Has plenty of FOV as well as a good base mag and the best image quality in the industry, plus its Murica made!

I am retired and hunt as much or more than anyone so my stuff gets put through the ringer in about 6-7 different states in extreme cold in NW Montana to hot humid nights in Southern Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois.

The 18650s are awesome and I can hunt all night from sundown to sun up in subzero temps on 4 batteries. In 30ish degrees I use about 3.

The best way to run a handheld is with a chest rig like the Eberlestock recon, Alaskan Guide Denali etc. and have it tethered to the rig. When a coyote comes in simply put the scanner in the main compartment and get on the gun. Some guys also use a selfie stick to combat arm fatigue and its a little warmer keeping your arms close to your core not elevated.

As for a helmet mounted scanner, it has advantages like being hands free, larger FOV but it also has disadvantages also. HMTs need to be light and small and those size units are 1x so you have a larger FOV but the detection range is FAR less than the NOX 35. Another disadvantage is in extreme cold weather its kinda hard to get a helmet to fit good over heavy winter headgear. Also a HMT is a far more expensive setup.

I do agree that a person in warm/temperate climates that spot and stalk or drive ATVs while hunting that the HMT setup is the bomb and a better option but for a stationary coyote caller like myself I think the handheld is a better option.

Reactions: Evolution 9
A little large for it, but it works great. Nox 35 is a great choice. We have some in stock, if you need one quickly feel free to contact us.
[email protected]