• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL Hunter barrel profile follow up; Full build components..

Anderhammer52

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2019
North Las Vegas, NV
Last week i posted asking about the barrel profile for my future nrl hunter build. I appreciate all of the help from everyone greatly. With my guard duty coming up and then actually now having accepted a job in Cheyenne ill have some decent money coming in. Having not been able to pull a trigger for almost a year (trying to be fiscally responsible and all that) my gift to myself is going to be a new rifle build for NRL hunter but will also pull additional duties of PRS, Hunting, and long range plinking. I will in now way be competitive so I’m not worried about optimized components for any specific comp or game, more of a generalist rifle that is effective and comfortable to shoot in as many conditions as possible, while also being ergonomic. Lead times being what they are across every industry i figured id start looking at ordering components and pieces in the near future in preparation for August. I initially am planning a 6.5 prc as discussed in my previous post. Ill also be getting 2 additional barrels 1 in 6x47, and 1 in 22gt (calibers aren’t set in stone they just seem to cover the entire spectrum of what i want to do) instead of getting 3 rifles to start i can have “3 rifles in 1…ish”. I mentioned that i had a spread sheet of components all worked up, ill list them all below. I’m interested to see what combination of components everyone would put together from the ones I’m trying to decide between. Any combination of components will come in below 15.75 lbs for the 6.5 prc build, the other 2 barrels will likely be heavier profiles so I’m not as worried about them making weight since i wont be using them in NRL hunter matches.
Component List:
-Actions: TL3 or Origin (they weigh the same so it’ll come down to features and cost)(only these 2 because PVA does barreled actions w/ them)
-Chassis: ARC Xylo, JP APAC, KRG Whiskey 3 folder, Foundation Revelation (i tend to be a fan of chassis, but have heard great things about foundation)
-Optics: Bushnell DMR 3 w/ EQL, Burris XTR Pro SCR 2 mil, Zeiss LRP S3 4-25, NF Atacr 4-20 mil xt (seems i wont be hurting for quality on any of them more just looking for opinions from those with experience as to which one will work well in the most roles)
-Mounts- NF mag mount/ xtrme duty ultra lite unimount, MPA 1.5, Hawkins 1 piece 1.5, Spuhr 4002c, ARC m-brace 1.5, warne skyline 1.39, Spuhr hunter 1.35. ( while I’m not crazy about the upper end weights i like the heights and am not a fan of rings).
-Stuff i already own- i already have a bipod and i already have a can (its a thunder chicken and i will be purchasing either a DOMINUS or a kgm r30k with thunder beast adapter because i want to move over to TBAC stuff) with mounts and cans these will all keep me under 15.9 lbs. will be getting a trigger tech 2 stage as well.

That is pretty much it, eventually ill get another action, chassis, and optic and interchange barrels between the 2, but for now this is what I’ve got. I appreciate the great recommendations from my last thread and look forward to seeing what everyone’s opinions are on this one.

I like the angled bolt handle of the origin vs the TL3. That’s the only difference that really matters. If you’re swapping barrels, the TL3 is a little easier with the fixed recoil lug. I am also a fan of the W3 with enclosed foreend and folder. For one, it is the best looking chassis on the market, and with the large grip, it is very comfortable.

Reactions: Anderhammer52
I like your choice of calibers but I am a 7mm-08 for everything guy. That’s just me stuck in that rut and I like wallowing in it.

If you intend to have multiple barrels and change them yourself the TL3 is the easy choice in my opinion. If it’s a question of budget I would start with two barrels instead of three. Not dealing with that loose recoil lug is worth the money to me.

The swept back bolt handle is nice but is really more a function of stock design/fit and or hand size.

I've never used a swept back bolt. So I don't want to gamble on liking it or not I guess. I've been on a budget for the past 2 years so I'm kinda wanting to jump in both feet on the tl3. I would only order the 6.5 prc initially and gather the other 2 barrels over time. I have a press but don't have the appropriate dies any how and I'm still actively deciding between 6x47 and 6xc. I've shot 6 creed for awhile so I was wanting to try something new. The question I'm still trying to work through is a folder really worth it? Only experice I've had is with a law on an AR. And I really never folded just bought into the trend and sold it.

I've never used a swept back bolt. So I don't want to gamble on liking it or not I guess. I've been on a budget for the past 2 years so I'm kinda wanting to jump in both feet on the tl3. I would only order the 6.5 prc initially and gather the other 2 barrels over time. I have a press but don't have the appropriate dies any how and I'm still actively deciding between 6x47 and 6xc. I've shot 6 creed for awhile so I was wanting to try something new. The question I'm still trying to work through is a folder really worth it? Only experice I've had is with a law on an AR. And I really never folded just bought into the trend and sold it.
A folder allows using a case that isn’t 5’ long. Well, that’s an exaggeration, but shorter cases are far easier to move around if you do it 4X a week to and from the range. At that point, budget is a moving target, depending on life choices and if you are with a “ride or die” partner. If not, buy the folder anyway and when she gets cranky, drop it at your buddy’s house so you have it when you are living in a van down by the river. Only slightly tongue in cheek…

Personally... I hate the throw of the tl3 of the nicer actions the are easiesr to bind imo...

My understanding of a folder is it adds one more moving part. If you’re not backpacking it then it’s a waste of money and foundation.

Then go with the br family of cases.
X47 brass is discontinued from lapua and 6xc is a cluster with matching does and reamers and brass. The br/bra/dasher are the way to go.
I have no experience with the BR family of cases but my buddy recommended against it due to feeding issues. Is it really that big of a deal to discount the dasher, bra etc..? Is it a possibility to neck down available 6.5x47 brass or just a hassle? If i stayed with basically TUBB everything on the 6xc would that make life easier?
Personally... I hate the throw of the tl3 of the nicer actions the are easiesr to bind imo...
Heavy bolt lift or what don’t you like about the throw?
I have tried to read as much on here about every action i can this isn’t the first post I’ve seen saying they bind but i also see many post saying they don’t. I’m coming from a majority ar centric existence, so I’m not as in tune with action binding as most people.
My understanding of a folder is it adds one more moving part. If you’re not backpacking it then it’s a waste of money and foundation.
I do plan on packing this rifle around.

I have no experience with the BR family of cases but my buddy recommended against it due to feeding issues.
Get a 30 buck mag kit and you will have zero issues feeding a br.

Is it a possibility to neck down available 6.5x47 brass or just a hassle?
It is until what’s on the shelves evaporates as it’s discontinued.

If i stayed with basically TUBB everything on the 6xc would that make life easier?
I suppose so but for all the effort you have what is essentially still a creed.

@spife7980 thanks for the feed back. When you put it that way seems (essentially still a 6 creed). I never thought of it that way, makes way more sense. Don’t need to spend that much effort when there are better options. Thanks again

@spife7980 thanks for the feed back. When you put it that way seems (essentially still a 6 creed). I never thought of it that way, makes way more sense. Don’t need to spend that much effort when there are better options. Thanks again
Yeah, my 26” 6xc with Norma and petterson brass and 39.5 gr of rl16 made a 105 rdf go a hair shy of 3k. My 26” 6creed with Peterson brass and 39.4 of rl16 is making a 105 rdf go a hair over 3k.
89476DA9-B2B9-478F-B9CF-13E232B18F19.jpeg

357C83F7-1B60-467B-903B-656336B08DDD.jpeg