• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events NRL Hunter Grand Slam 2022

hoguer

The Dude
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Central Valley, CA
Just got my invitation to compete in the Factory class for the NRL Grand Slam next month in Idaho. The competition I placed 2nd in was using a Seekins Havak with single pull CkyePod lightweight on the sling stud.
I was shooting Unknown Munitions 140gr Bergers that at registration were only moving at 2750fps, so I wasn’t really shooting a systen that took advantage of the PRC case capacity over a 6.5CM
Since that event, I picked up a Sig Cross 6.5CM that will still easily fit within the Factory division, and add the benefit of adusjtable cheek piece and the ability to add a full length arca rail for my tripod vs a saddle mount for my rifle, as well as running a double pull arca mounted CkyePod.
I have time to load the PRC up to proper velocities before this comp, but it will never have the arca rail.
The 6.5 will be hand loaded as well so I can squeeze a bit more out of it than factory ammo provides.

What would you shoot?

I think I would shoot multiple Kraft drills with each and let the results speak for themselves. That being said, I see no reason to shoot a PRC at 2,740, especially a 140 grain class bullet. I'd either rip a 135 ATIP really fast and flat or move to the 150 class bullets.
Ultimately, I'd base my decision on which has more "shootability" for you.

I would say it does not really matter. Whichever is more consisitent. Speed is nice for unknown target, but you will have a tougher time seeing impact. 90+ % of the targets will be easy enough to find and range, so i would say whichever you are more confident with. Good luck!

Reactions: hoguer
I would shoot what cartridge that you can manage recoil the best with and watch impacts for follow up shots.
Might see ya there, gotta make a decision soon!

Keep in mind that tie breakers are determined by the highest power factor. Obviously there’s diminishing returns at a certain point, don’t shoot a 300 WM that you can’t spot hits or misses with off a tripod.

The idea of shooting paper with both and going from there isn’t bad. Good luck!

All assembled… tomorrow we see how it shoots.
C63C00F5-1863-4103-A7EB-9FC267D507C6.jpeg

Reactions: Bigrederic