• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL Hunter / Hunting Rifle Chassis Poll

Which Chassis?

• MDT HNT26

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • XLR 4.0 Magnesium

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

rootacres

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2020
Hello all,

I am in the final stages of a configuration change on my hunting rifle. It's a 7 SAUM that I hunt in the lower 48 with. I also plan to do some NRL Hunter matches with it. Weight is a concern so I have narrowed it down to the two lightest and most popular chassis I have been able to find. Which one is your preference and why? Just looking for some feedback before making a selection. Thanks

22" Proof
SRS Chubb
Origin SA
Timney HIT
Mark 5/Hawkins or VUDU/Spuhr (undecided here, I have both)
Stock? Previously - Allterra Arms

**EDIT: If you select "Other" in the poll please comment the model you like. Hard to know which chassis you're referring to. Thanks

Last edited:
I recently picked up a HNT26 for basically the same thing. I honestly wasn’t expecting it to be as nice as it is. I’ve had rifles and chassis with CF forends before and most of them have been noodles. The HNT26 forend isn’t as stiff as a AI chassis or something but it’s plenty stiff, to the point that I’d even mount a NV clip on to it. Their folder mechanism is well done.

I looked at the XLR too but quickly ruled it out because I like folders for packability and cleaning and for some reason XLR doesn’t know how to make a folder version that doesn’t have a ridiculously long LOP. The LOP range with the HNT26 folder is perfect.

If you don’t want folding you might also want to take a look at the Manners LRH2 and MCS2 with mini chassis, they’re both great options for hunting rifles as well.

I recently picked up a HNT26 for basically the same thing. I honestly wasn’t expecting it to be as nice as it is. I’ve had rifles and chassis with CF forends before and most of them have been noodles. The HNT26 forend isn’t as stiff as a AI chassis or something but it’s plenty stiff, to the point that I’d even mount a NV clip on to it. Their folder mechanism is well done.

I looked at the XLR too but quickly ruled it out because I like folders for packability and cleaning and for some reason XLR doesn’t know how to make a folder version that doesn’t have a ridiculously long LOP. The LOP range with the HNT26 folder is perfect.

If you don’t want folding you might also want to take a look at the Manners LRH2 and MCS2 with mini chassis, they’re both great options for hunting rifles as well.

Thanks for the feedback. All good stuff to know. I think for this package I'm going to go with the folding chassis. I have a 300 PRC on a Defiance action that should be getting shipped my way anyway now. I think I might drop that one in a Manners of some kind. A few of their stocks look pretty awesome.

XLR makes a shorter stock for use with the folding hinge. Here is my 6yo shooting it with the folding hinge installed. Also voting for the XLR, but I got a deal on it and would probably be just as happy with the MDT HNT26.

Screenshot_20230403_183900.jpg

Reactions: rootacres
Here’s a great comparison from a hunting standpoint:

Reactions: richthe1