• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL Hunter/Hunting Rifle in 20" 6.5 PRC, 6.5 CM, or 260?

C Cape

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Valdosta, Ga
Guys,

I'm looking to build a hunting rifle that I could also use to shoot a NRL Hunter match next year if the opportunity arises. I ordered a 20" Bartlein CFW Barrel and a Big Horn Origin Action. Wanted to go 20" due to always running it suppressed.

I have a ton of components for 6.5 Creed but I'm worried about being able to make power factor for the match if I get to shoot. The .260 should make it a little easier and the PRC would be easy peasy.

What are y'alls thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

I would do 6.5PRC in your boat if you can find the supplies.

A 144 in 6.5CM you only need 2650fps to make powder factory which should be possible with hand loads in a 20inch.

How is it easy in 260 but not with 6.5 creed?

I get same speed from a 140 in a creed than a 139 scenar in my old 260.
41.3 gr in creed vs 42.8 in .260. Same powder. Lapua brass.

Shoot a 130 hybrid or a lighter Solid and should be fine.

I would do 6.5PRC in your boat if you can find the supplies.

A 144 in 6.5CM you only need 2650fps to make powder factory which should be possible with hand loads in a 20inch.

So basically just run it turned down slightly?

How is it easy in 260 but not with 6.5 creed?

I get same speed from a 140 in a creed than a 139 scenar in my old 260.
41.3 gr in creed vs 42.8 in .260. Same powder. Lapua brass.

Shoot a 130 hybrid or a lighter Solid and should be fine.
You can get another 50-70 FPS out of a 260 vs a creedmoor from what I’ve read when handloading 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you want 6.5 creed, go that route. You can always shoot factory ammo at a match if you end up not meeting power factor with handloads.

I didn't realize that factory ammo makes it where you don't have to go by the power factor. Good to know.

I didn't realize that factory ammo makes it where you don't have to go by the power factor. Good to know.
1DEB320D-1C43-48A5-8D81-3AACC099464E.jpeg

Reactions: 260284
So basically just run it turned down slightly?

If you go 6.5 PRC just run it normally.

If you go to 6.5CM you can run a heavier bullet and probably still make PF in a 20inch, is what I am saying.