• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL hunter scope

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Looking to purchase a scope for an NRL hunter setup. Wondering if anyone has tried using a SFP scope, thoughts ?

Hard. Pass.

On a sfp that is.

Otherwise, can use anything that works for regular long range use.

Yea i definitely would not recommend SFP. FFP is the way to go for most modern applications. Not to say it can’t be done but under the clock I’ve seen a lot of guys forget a lot bigger things than something like making sure your mag is correct when shooting.

If you run a 3-15/3-18/4-16 power scope, an SFP would be fine. Just make sure to leave it on max power when shooting if you need a wind call

FFP for sure. You can run anything from 4-16 to 5.5-30. I am running a 3.5-21 but most of the time it set on 12x or 14x.

Depending on your budget...

Reactions: Birddog6424
FFP only, why would one consider a sfp? The only thing I can possibly think of is a fixed reticle size, that tought quickly leaves the mind when you can aquire targets quickly. Tight time frames often experienced in NRL Hunter means making shots off of holding and all it take is a few rounds that dump off the side of a target to teach you that a sfp scope doesn’t belong.

In Africa I made shots from 130-1184 with a ZCO 5-27 on a 6.5 SST.

Weight is king in NRL, but purposefully purchased parts can make a massive difference. Even the tanks can make weight. I have 3 rifles all with 5-27 ZCOs and they were purpose built hunting rifles. 7SAUM is 10.9lbs fully dressed with, my wifes 6.5CM is just a tick under 13 and my 6.5 PRC is right at 14. I hunt with these rifles, but they fit so nicely in the NRL Hunter game as well.

Depending on your budget...

For this project Iam looking at a more budget scope. The Burris tactical xtr 11 linked above peaked my interest. Is it a solid option ?

For this project Iam looking at a more budget scope. The Burris tactical xtr 11 linked above peaked my interest. Is it a solid option ?
Yes, I have 3 of them. They won’t be beaten for the sale price. That scope originally had an MSRP of $1,499, and sold for around $1,000-1,250.

I also recommend using a good set of quality rings like the American Rifle Company M-Brace 34mm Low rings.