• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events NRL Hunter series

Probably need to make sure your Steyr is under 12lbs for the factory class, that's with the scope, sling(if you use one), bipod(if you use one), etc... There's always the lower entry fee option too, if you don't meet some of those requirements, you can basically shoot whatever you want as long as it has MV under 3200fps, but wont get swag, score recorded, or walk the prize table.

Probably need to make sure your Steyr is under 12lbs for the factory class, that's with the scope, sling(if you use one), bipod(if you use one), etc... There's always the lower entry fee option too, if you don't meet some of those requirements, you can basically shoot whatever you want as long as it has MV under 3200fps, but wont get swag, score recorded, or walk the prize table.
Under 12 pounds? LOL. I'll be under 8. And yes, with sling, scope and bipod.

I just got an e-mail back from the NRL site. They are adding Steyr to the website today. Very fast response from them. Glad to see that.

It would be great to see these matches run in Australia. But unfortunately the rules required for range approval here make it pretty much impossible.

Reactions: ChidJ
Getting ready to shoot the match in Montana this weekend. Going to be shooting my AI AT in 6.5 CM. I made weight for open heavy on the dot.

Reactions: mahlv
Getting ready to shoot the match in Montana this weekend. Going to be shooting my AI AT in 6.5 CM. I made weight for open heavy on the dot.
Gonna be a good weekend!

Okay... I'm excited now. They added Steyr to the factory rifle list. Living in the Southeast, there isn't another match this year withing driving distance but I'm absolutely determined to get ready for next year. I'm hoping they have more of these near me next year. There is a 100% chance I'll do it. I won't win, but my goal is to not be last. And I'm going to do this with what I really hunt with... Steyr Scout with an LPVO, sling and shooting sticks.

Okay... I'm excited now. They added Steyr to the factory rifle list. Living in the Southeast, there isn't another match this year withing driving distance but I'm absolutely determined to get ready for next year. I'm hoping they have more of these near me next year. There is a 100% chance I'll do it. I won't win, but my goal is to not be last. And I'm going to do this with what I really hunt with... Steyr Scout with an LPVO, sling and shooting sticks.
Much respect:

I shot the match in Belt, MT (it was an EXCELLENT match, great venue, run well, with great people!) and I own a Steyr Scout... I think you will be challenged!!!! Without talking too much out of school, the target ranges at the match started at about where my effectiveness with the Scout drops off considerably. My Scout is in 308, is about a 1.5 moa rifle, and I have a NF 2.5-10x24 mounted conventionally.

Much respect:

I shot the match in Belt, MT (it was an EXCELLENT match, great venue, run well, with great people!) and I own a Steyr Scout... I think you will be challenged!!!! Without talking too much out of school, the target ranges at the match started at about where my effectiveness with the Scout drops off considerably. My Scout is in 308, is about a 1.5 moa rifle, and I have a NF 2.5-10x24 mounted conventionally.

That's great info. Thanks. If I understand it correctly, each venue is trying to match the stages to what is seen in that part of the country. I haven't seen an AAR of the TN match, but it sounded like things might be a bit closer. Even if it isn't, I'm going to be ready. I'm a bit of a training whore but so far, everything has been scout or practical rifle classes. I'm strong on the fundamentals but just have not been able to stretch it out beyond normal Easter hunting ranges. It looks like I'll get to fix that training deficiency before next year's TN match.

@cliffy110 I wrote an AAR of the TN match. Its around here somewhere but the target distances were consistent with the spirit of the event (hypothetical hunting distances), IMO. We didn't have any shots beyond 600 IIRC with most of them being 400 and in. You definitely could have tackled it with your Steyr.

That being said, next year could be a completely different venue with completely different stage layouts.

Am I the only one who thinks the weight classes are too high? I feel like the weight classes should be sub 9lbs/12lbs.

The weight was set per Idaho max weight, then an attempt to get a light weight class.
12/16 is ridiculously heavy in my personal opinion. It’s pretty funny seeing these 16lb rifles competing in what is suppose to be backcountry hunting scenarios.

The weight was set per Idaho max weight, then an attempt to get a light weight class.
You are not the only one! But I honestly don't care. I'm going to enter in the factory class with a true hunting rifle. I'd I do well, great. If I fall on my face, I'll know I'm still a good hunter but not a great long range competitor.

FYI, my rifle comes in under 8 pounds all up

Attachments

• 20210521_184750.jpg
    20210521_184750.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 49
Hunting is different depending on what you’re hunting. My hunting rifle is 16 pounds, I typically hunt coyotes. I don’t have to worry about packing out meat.

If I were to go after something bigger I’d take this rifle also, might swap to a 5-20US but I’m confident with it past 1000yrds so sacrificing a bit of weight isn’t an issue. There’s obviously a million scenarios but 16lbs isn’t unreasonable.
2A765DD7-F172-4EA6-BE14-B30864ACA2BC.jpeg

Am I the only one who thinks the weight classes are too high? I feel like the weight classes should be sub 9lbs/12lbs.

even though you are right in the spirit of hunting rifles, but the hard reality is not very many people I know have or want to spend $$ on a super lightweight rifle.

If you had those rules, you would likely get very few people to sign up. In the precision comp world, most people that frequent matches have heavy rifles they can throw in a lightweight stock and make the 16 lb class and come compete. thus filling a match and encouraging a MD to have a match next year.

more classes = more competitors. also there are separate trophies for ea class.

you could respond there are more hunters than competitors. you are right...but of those hunters there are what 1% that can hit a steel target on their first try at 300 with their luppy 3-9's? even the good hunters (good as in good shots) dont use ultra light weights unless going high country.

and that is almost 100% related to high quality ALMOST ALWAYS = higher weight.

kinda like the hot and crazy line for women. the hotter = the crazier. with rifles its accuracy and weight. the more accurate = more weight.

even for production class. the 12 lb weight fills fast when you get a 7 lb rifle, then a 2 lb scope then a lb bipod then a 2 lb suppressor you are already at 12!

its just crazy how hard it is for me to make the 12 lb class. im catching myself weight pic rails and bipods and scopes etc etc.

GL!
DT

So, I think I know where you are coming from. That being said a hunting rifle is just a rifle you hunt with. To say that nobody would carry one of the heavier rifles hunting is untrue. I wouldn’t but I know some could, would, and do. I’m of the opinion that the 12/16 limits are appropriate.

At the end of the day, it’s still just a game with hunting as a premise. We could pick it apart until there’s nothing left trying to turn it into actual hunting, whatever your flavor of hunting happens to be.

At a sniper competition, we don’t demand that there be 48 hours of mission planning prior, and intel collection, overhead ISR present, partner force integration, infil via helicopters, and live return fire. We just take a snippet of the experience and turn it into a game. I feel like the same applies here. You didn’t have to accumulate priority points, climb a mountain, stalk for days, and you also don’t have the bad fortune to not get to take a shot. It’s not hunting. Just a hunting style game.

that’s how I see it anyways.

and because everyone likes pictures, here’s some photo evidence that the rifle I hunted with this year was similar weight to my comp rifle. Both around 12 lbs. that being said, my version of hunting is walk out a mile into the jungle, climb up a tree, and sit
EF7E9928-BCED-441C-8E8D-5B8A51EE1826.jpeg
94C7132E-9979-41AD-B15D-F403DBF09444.jpeg

Reactions: D_TROS
So, I think I know where you are coming from. That being said a hunting rifle is just a rifle you hunt with. To say that nobody would carry one of the heavier rifles hunting is untrue. I wouldn’t but I know some could, would, and do. I’m of the opinion that the 12/16 limits are appropriate.

At the end of the day, it’s still just a game with hunting as a premise. We could pick it apart until there’s nothing left trying to turn it into actual hunting, whatever your flavor of hunting happens to be.

At a sniper competition, we don’t demand that there be 48 hours of mission planning prior, and intel collection, overhead ISR present, partner force integration, infil via helicopters, and live return fire. We just take a snippet of the experience and turn it into a game. I feel like the same applies here. You didn’t have to accumulate priority points, climb a mountain, stalk for days, and you also don’t have the bad fortune to not get to take a shot. It’s not hunting. Just a hunting style game.

and because everyone likes pictures, here’s some photo evidence that the rifle I hunted with this year was similar weight to my comp rifle. Both around 12 lbs. that being said, my version of hunting is walk out a mile into the jungle, climb up a tree, and sitView attachment 7632660View attachment 7632661

and because everyone likes pictures, here’s some photo evidence that the rifle I hunted with this year was similar weight to my comp rifle. Both around 12 lbs. that being said, my version of hunting is walk out a mile into the jungle, climb up a tree, and sitView attachment 7632660View attachment 7632661
I think an interesting solution could be as simple as the MD coming up with prizes for the lightest weight rifle as a side prize. No rule changes required. Gotta compete with it and not DQ.

Attachments

• 20210522_191136.jpg
    20210522_191136.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
If you are opening the "it is not how I hunt, so it ain't hunting" defense, you might kick around the fact that hunting is different everywhere. Realistically the only reason to impose power factor and weights is to keep people not chasing the competition side of these events, involved. It is a great chance to go and practice shooting. Find, range, engage. Simulate a stressful environment and test your training. You now have an opportunity to improve your capacity to do something you value. You may also find somethings that help you dramatically, or not.

Reactions: D_TROS and hic28
Hunting is different depending on what you’re hunting. My hunting rifle is 16 pounds, I typically hunt coyotes. I don’t have to worry about packing out meat.

If I were to go after something bigger I’d take this rifle also, might swap to a 5-20US but I’m confident with it past 1000yrds so sacrificing a bit of weight isn’t an issue. There’s obviously a million scenarios but 16lbs isn’t unreasonable.
View attachment 7632656
I’ve been thinking this all year when guys talk about rifle weight. Everyone’s hunting scenarios are different. Some guys walk 20+ miles into the mountains other guys can walk a mile or less and go hunting. That will/can dictate what kinda weight your rifle will be.
Plus if your just a good overall rifleman like Rusty Ulmer or the like you can shoot any weight rifle and win.

If you are opening the "it is not how I hunt, so it ain't hunting" defense, you might kick around the fact that hunting is different everywhere. Realistically the only reason to impose power factor and weights is to keep people not chasing the competition side of these events, involved. It is a great chance to go and practice shooting. Find, range, engage. Simulate a stressful environment and test your training. You now have an opportunity to improve your capacity to do something you value. You may also find somethings that help you dramatically, or not.
That is exactly what drew me to this series. I'm a scout rifle kind of guy. I've taken several classes and am pretty solid with gun handling at ranges below 300 yards. I can complete the Rifle Bounce drill in under 20 seconds and the Rifle 10 in less than 2 minutes. I hunt... a lot... in Virginia piedmont farm country which means shots under 300 yards with a lot of still and stand hunting. I have a range in the woods with steel placed in hidden areas with ranges from 50 to 200 yards.

I saw this series and thought this would be an excellent way to stretch my current skills. The match in TN looks idea for this and is the only one that is less than a 1 day drive from my home. Ranges look to be shorter (600 and less from the sounds of it) and the set-up looks like what makes sense in my area.

I'm looking into training to help prepare me for this. I am WELL aware that my equipment isn't ideal for a long range competition. My goal in the match would be to not finish last and to do it with what I really use in my real life. I think I can do that with an 8 pound rifle and minimal gear and shooting aids.

Now I just have to find a place where I can shoot out to 6-800 yards here in Central VA. I'm going to train for this. I just hope the NRL Hunter series picks up another Eastern location next year. I'll be at it.

@cliffy110 i hear a lot of guys talk about the Pigg River facility as a good place to train and stretch the legs on your rifle in Virginia

@cliffy110 i hear a lot of guys talk about the Pigg River facility as a good place to train and stretch the legs on your rifle in Virginia
CR2 is doing a class there in August. Trying to put together the $800 for it now. I'll see if there is anything else there that I can do there in the meantime. Thanks.

I don’t know about the shooting facility but I have a lot of family right there in that area. It’s hot, dusty, dry, and rocky. Plenty of spots for LONG shots. Good luck to whoever goes.

As an aside, in Price there is a Walmart but not much else. It’s pretty remote so plan accordingly.

The shooting facility is pretty amazing. Frank just did that training there and describes it a little in the podcast.

It is the North Springs Shooting range. Just shot the NRL match there. It will be a really cool spot to do a hunt match. Going to have to wait for the NRL pics from the match, I took zero pics.
PICS?

Im trying to make this match. In july right?

DT

I hate I just started looking into these matches, I'm in the south east and the Tennessee match is the only one even remotely close to me. Would have loved to shoot that one in April. Hopefully they will have it again there next year.

The new manners LRH stock I'm sure will gain lots of steam in these matches.

Last edited: