• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk NRL Hunter Tripod

rootacres

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 1, 2020
What are you all finding to be the best. I just shot the NRL Hunter event in Cory IN. Lots of standing and shooting off tripods. It exposed a weak point in my kit. I have a lightweight promaster tripod with an Anvil 30 that I use for hunting. The Anvil is great but the tripod isn't beefy enough to get solid behind for shooting. Bearing in mind that I plan to hunt with this tripod too. What tripod do you all recommend? Im thinking an RRS but not sure which model. Thanks for the help.

A lot of people like the 22i for Hunter matches too. I like the 33 quite a bit since its lowest setting is still high enough to kneel and glass. If you only want it for hunter matches, get a heavy, sturdy tripod. It’s not like you have to carry the weight very far

I used the Leofoto SO-322C with a JC Steel Tac Table and my Schmedium 1+1 for supporting binos and rifle in recent NRL Hunter match. Got it direct from Leofoto "open box" plus a discount. Worked great.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
I’ve got the tfct-34L and 22i and used both in NRL matches. They’re both extremely stable to shoot off but 22i really shines for speed. Just open the legs and it’s perfect height for kneeling glassing also quick to deploy if used in a standing position or tripod rear. 34L is still my go too for PRS glassing as I’m 6’4 and 22i doesn’t quite have the height for all day spotting

Reactions: JLP83
To follow up on this, I'd likely be kneeling glassing in nrl hunter. Any reason to get the new rrs 22ic over the conventional rrs 22i? It seems on the new compact, the locking knuckle between the legs may be at a bad height for triple pull fully deployed and Tripod rear support.

It's a give and take. Pretty much any 2 section, excluding the shorter 22i, will put you at a comfortable mid to high kneeling height for glassing without having to do anything more than open up the legs. The trade off is you need to be comfortable changing leg positions to some of the wider sets depending on terrain and height you need to be at. I personally haven't found that to be an issue, so I stick with the 2 section stuff.

I know it sounds gamey, but some people are beginning to experiment with 2 tripods (main and rear support) vs triple pull and tripod for getting stable over obstacles.

I started Hunter with a 34L but ran the 22i this year. I sold it once I got the 22ic. With the 22i, I kicked all legs out one click for low kneeling. With the 22ic, kneeling glassing height is open the legs and I only need to kick one leg out to shoot kneeling. It's quite a bit faster. Full height is perfect for standing shots (I'm 5' 8"). It's a bit low for glassing long periods while standing but fine for finding targets at Hunter matches. It's a bit low as rear tripod for standing but can be done holding the anvil rather than a leg. The 22i set up for standing shots takes longer since it's full height is very high. Unless you mark the legs for standing height you will have to adjust it a little each time you set it up.

I have a 34L but I'll take the 22ic for everything except glassing while standing for long periods. Basically, at my truck or PRS match.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex