• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL/PRS Scope choice

vaguru

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 12, 2019
A new guy getting started in this type shooting, 22 rimfire style, asked me which scope is the best of the four he has it narrowed down to. I have no experience with any of these, so I'm here asking for information from those that have used them.

Options are: Athlon Midas Tac 6-24X50 FFP mil/mil
Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24X50 FFP mil/mil
Arken EPL4 6-24x50 FFP mil/mil
Arken EP5 5-25x56 FFP mil/mil

Thanks for any input on the above, pros, cons. He's trying to stay under $500 for the scope.

All are dependable, however, our biggest seller for 22 is the Midas TAC. It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I removed my EP5 to replace it with this MUCH better scope. Philippines built, Japanese glass.

Also, I still have an EPL4…It sits in the junk bin & collects dust, and is very unimpressive. Highly DON’T recommend this scope at all.

Reactions: YotaEer
I saw a recent podcast that DLOO mentioned A brand had a IIRC 11-13% failure rate.

Personally I'd keep the Argos line on airguns or rimfires. I had a 1st gen on a Field Target air rifle and got top score at state as well as many wins but I only needed to dial up to 3.3 mils. It's a budget scope so.....

Regardless the Midas TAC is the way to go and I suggest the 5-25 rather than the 6-24. The IQ and the turret action feel is a step up compared to most if not all the scopes in this price range. However it does not have illume. So go ETR if you feel you'll ever need that.

Reactions: JFR
I saw a recent podcast that DLOO mentioned A brand had a IIRC 11-13% failure rate.

Personally I'd keep the Argos line on airguns or rimfires. I had a 1st gen on a Field Target air rifle and got top score at state as well as many wins but I only needed to dial up to 3.3 mils. It's a budget scope so.....

Regardless the Midas TAC is the way to go and I suggest the 5-25 rather than the 6-24. The IQ and the turret action feel is a step up compared to most if not all the scopes in this price range. However it does not have illume. So go ETR if you feel you'll ever need that.
Thanks for reply. a couple of questions for you. What do you mean by IQ? And the ETR, is that a Midas Tac?

Thanks for reply. a couple of questions for you. What do you mean by IQ? And the ETR, is that a Midas Tac?

"Image Quality".

The ETR is supposed to have nicer IQ but I can't tell the difference between these two tiers of scopes.

Though given the choice I'd take the ETR 4.5-30 because I like to use the highest magnification at times. Also it has daylight bright illume, but barely so, which is handy for targets in the shade or black bulls. In some outlaw stages the RO would put out Black bulls occasionally. The locking windage turret isn't that much of a improvement over capped turrets for me because I normally hold off using the reticle for wind.

"Image Quality".

The ETR is supposed to have nicer IQ but I can't tell the difference between these two tiers of scopes.

Though given the choice I'd take the ETR 4.5-30 because I like to use the highest magnification at times. Also it has daylight bright illume, but barely so, which is handy for targets in the shade or black bulls. In some outlaw stages the RO would put out Black bulls occasionally. The locking windage turret isn't that much of a improvement over capped turrets for me because I normally hold off using the reticle for wind.
Thanks for reply, again. Found the ETR 4.5-30, way out of his price range. Has it now narrowed down to the Arken EP5 5-25X56, the Arken SH-4J6 6-24X50 and save up another week for the Athlon Midas Tac 5-25X56. Will have to see where he goes with this.

Again, thanks to all that responded. As he has a week left to decide, any further comments appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123