• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nrl22/ 22 prs kestrel Need help please

Sean69

Private
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi all, new to site and looking for some help please. So I got my rig all set for competition and will be doing Nrl22 and just found another club that does 22 prs. So from what I’ve read the furthest I see is 400 yards. So I’m in position that I can afford a kestrel and was considering 5700 elite. But I’m starting to get confused because the more vid I watch and more I read it seems like it’s really only beneficial to longer distances than what I’ll be doing. Case in point just watched a video with Brian Lintz and even he mentioned 200 300 yards weather not that important. I have no plans to move up to bigger guns or purchase another one. So my question is will my StrelokPro be good enough for what I’m looking to do or if you think kestrel, is regular 5700 good enough
Thxs guys

You don’t need a Kestrel for 22LR. Get BallisticsARC or Ballistic AE apps or the Sterelok you have. The 22 bullets are mostly similarly shaped (BC) and similar grain weight & speed so the dope is pretty constant across manufacturers.

You only need Kestrel for longer distances & heavier calibers with varying bullet types & speeds and mostly for the Applied Ballistics custom curves.

Hi all, new to site and looking for some help please. So I got my rig all set for competition and will be doing Nrl22 and just found another club that does 22 prs. So from what I’ve read the furthest I see is 400 yards. So I’m in position that I can afford a kestrel and was considering 5700 elite. But I’m starting to get confused because the more vid I watch and more I read it seems like it’s really only beneficial to longer distances than what I’ll be doing. Case in point just watched a video with Brian Lintz and even he mentioned 200 300 yards weather not that important. I have no plans to move up to bigger guns or purchase another one. So my question is will my StrelokPro be good enough for what I’m looking to do or if you think kestrel, is regular 5700 good enough
Thxs guys

300 yards is an awful long way for a 22LR bullet. In my solver for SK Std+, dropping from 60° F to 40° F results in needing another 0.4 mils come-up. That’s right about enough to take you off a 2 MOA target, assuming you broke the shot on the center of it.

OP, I’d say you need to input local environmentals into whichever solver you use, but using a local weather station’s info should be sufficient.

I’ve been using my 5700 sportsman for my 22 shooting this past season and the way environmentals change the impact and dope is enough to keep me using it. I shoot out too 350 regularly and tried 400 a few times but going to be attempting 500 this upcoming season. Will be happy to have it the

The paid Ballistic AE, Sterloc pro and others need environmental for RF. The 5700 Elite is 100% worth the money. You also need a quality Chronograph to know what your bullet is doing across different temperature ranges. The data from Extreme Hot & Cold with 15*-20* differences in between the better output data you are going to get. Good Data in equals great data out. I carry my RFs out to 350 regular. That is our RF only range that is 15 miles from my house.

The dope to 200 is going to be real close if you choose one of the CenterX Custom curve models. then a Cal DSF is needed from 250, 300 and 350 if you can get those ranges or real close to them. I would start truing and testing my data at 150 then bump out in 50 yard increments. Always start close and work out. If you go the other way it will erase all the long data you put in. I found that my rifle and data had 1 adjustment at 300 that needed a -.4mil drop correction over what it called for.

BC changes based on velocity. For out to 200yards or so people generally use something like .135 to get it pretty close through the spectrum of 50 to 200. For example at 50yds, BC is .172. At 300 yards, BC is .11 (based on the velocity generally).

When taking shots out to 300-400yards, I like the Kestrel Elite's custom curve from AB that has basically measured out the BC all the way out to 600 yards. You can do it yourself with DSF as well.

Other benefit I have is I don't worry about having to pull out my cellphone the whole match long.

Other thing though if you are thinking about dropping coin is the new Sig binos that have AB Elite built into them.

The paid Ballistic AE, Sterloc pro and others need environmental for RF. The 5700 Elite is 100% worth the money. You also need a quality Chronograph to know what your bullet is doing across different temperature ranges. The data from Extreme Hot & Cold with 15*-20* differences in between the better output data you are going to get. Good Data in equals great data out. I carry my RFs out to 350 regular. That is our RF only range that is 15 miles from my house.

The dope to 200 is going to be real close if you choose one of the CenterX Custom curve models. then a Cal DSF is needed from 250, 300 and 350 if you can get those ranges or real close to them. I would start truing and testing my data at 150 then bump out in 50 yard increments. Always start close and work out. If you go the other way it will erase all the long data you put in. I found that my rifle and data had 1 adjustment at 300 that needed a -.4mil drop correction over what it called for.
Thxs sounds good I have a Magnetospeed v3 coming

Maybe I got lucky but my Kestrel AB Custom Curve out to 375 has been spot on for 16T.

For my 12T though I need to start DSFing at 200y because I actually have less drop. Looks like at 200y I'm already at .1mil less drop. I'm curious how it'll be out to 400y but no easy way for me to test this. Right now I haven't bothered with DSF, but I'm using the Custom Curve, but just running it with 15fps faster chrono which has held well for both 100, 150, and 200.

Maybe I got lucky but my Kestrel AB Custom Curve out to 375 has been spot on for 16T.

For my 12T though I need to start DSFing at 200y because I actually have less drop. Looks like at 200y I'm already at .1mil less drop. I'm curious how it'll be out to 400y but no easy way for me to test this. Right now I haven't bothered with DSF, but I'm using the Custom Curve, but just running it with 15fps faster chrono which has held well for both 100, 150, and 200.
So my v3 arrived today, can’t get out till Saturday but are you saying with chronograph and kestrel you can use custom curves and get exact dope. The range I use only goes out to a 100 yards

So my v3 arrived today, can’t get out till Saturday but are you saying with chronograph and kestrel you can use custom curves and get exact dope. The range I use only goes out to a 100 yards
You can try, but you won’t know if it’s accurate until you shoot at those longer ranges.

Reactions: Sean69
Thxs guys
This may have been user error but....

I have a Kestrel 5700 Sportsman. I could never get itto give me good data with .22lr. Didn't matter how much I trued it I could either get it accurate up close or accurate at 300+.

I did upgrade my sportsman to the elite software and it works great with .22lr now.

All that being said my strelok pro has been great for rimfire too. I zeroed at 50 yards. Trued my MV at 100 yards. Trues my BC at 200 then tweaked it again at 300 and it's has been great.

This may have been user error but....

I have a Kestrel 5700 Sportsman. I could never get itto give me good data with .22lr. Didn't matter how much I trued it I could either get it accurate up close or accurate at 300+.

I did upgrade my sportsman to the elite software and it works great with .22lr now.

All that being said my strelok pro has been great for rimfire too. I zeroed at 50 yards. Trued my MV at 100 yards. Trues my BC at 200 then tweaked it again at 300 and it's has been great.

Correct the Kestrel Sportsman doesn't have a custom curve. A custom curve basically will adjust BC throughout the velocity range. A standard curve is just some set BC throughout the entire calculation.

Strelok Pro has the multi BC which basically you can do as well. Just put your dope at the multiple calculated distances and it'll true the BC.

Reactions: flyfisher117
Correct the Kestrel Sportsman doesn't have a custom curve. A custom curve basically will adjust BC throughout the velocity range. A standard curve is just some set BC throughout the entire calculation.

Strelok Pro has the multi BC which basically you can do as well. Just put your dope at the multiple calculated distances and it'll true the BC.
I haven't even touched the multi BC in Strelok Pro didn't know it had that. Guess I need to check it out more..

BC has extremely small value with subsonic ammunition like rimfire.

Use the DSF function.

I will agree for the 16T Vudoo the AB Custom Curve was great and spot on out to 400 for me. When my 12T was done it changed. I was good to 250 on the base AB Custom Curve. who I hit 300 it was a change and that was the only change I needed.

Reactions: littlepod

So I’m new at this if I use my v3 and put in velocity than choose 4 or 5 different distances on app than goto multiple bc setting and add that dope it will tweak bc and be more spot on. I don’t have access to more than 100 yard range until day if my first event couple hours from home
Thxs

So I’m new at this if I use my v3 and put in velocity than choose 4 or 5 different distances on app than goto multiple bc setting and add that dope it will tweak bc and be more spot on. I don’t have access to more than 100 yard range until day if my first event couple hours from home
Thxs
I assume you mean Strelok. The multi BC setting is for published banded BC's (ex; Sierra or Hornady), if you had the ability to measure BC at distance (Oehler, ShotSpotter) you could use that.

What you are looking for is the truing function, it is a button that has a target with an up/down arrow.
A short press gives you the classic method which is a velocity or BC adjustment at one range, a long press gives you the new method with three range entries.

I assume you mean Strelok. The multi BC setting is for published banded BC's (ex; Sierra or Hornady), if you had the ability to measure BC at distance (Oehler, ShotSpotter) you could use that.

What you are looking for is the truing function, it is a button that has a target with an up/down arrow.
A short press gives you the classic method which is a velocity or BC adjustment at one range, a long press gives you the new method with three range entries.
Ok so I enter my velocity from v3 I have 50 yard zero than I would say put in 100,200,300 yards see what StrelokPro says and if different than what it says to get on target enter those amounts and I’ll get true bc

A Kestrel is a fantastic tool. But for me, it's just too expensive. The value isn't there for me. Your use needs may differ.

I use Strelok Pro with much success. If only it could shoot for me too and I might do better. But as far a ballistics go, it has been fantastic with both .22 lr and CF.

The key to either tool is getting your velocity inputs correct. Using the truing/validation feature is a must, IMO.

I agree the Kestrel is better in hand out in the field. Mostly because of sun and screen glare and my iPhone dims the display due to heat 90% of time.

If you need it to connect to your range finder, then the Kestrel is the only way to go. Strelok does not do that, yet. I wouldn't be surprised if this feature comes out if it's possible to do.

Strelok updates the app frequently and is extremely responsive to emails concerning issues or questions. Strelok offers the ability to just get your weather over cell or internet and this is what I generally do. I used to use a WindMeter bluetoothed to the Strelok app, but honestly, weather does not need to be precise. As long as you're in the ballpark, your dope doesn't change much. .22LR is definitely more sensitive to temp changes but still not so sensitive to effect the dope a lot. A tenth or two of a mil over 15* give or take. I'm not saying it's not important, just doesn't need to be exact for each shot.

TL/DR: get the Kestrel if you have the $$$, otherwise, Strelok Pro is very capable.

Ok so I enter my velocity from v3 I have 50 yard zero than I would say put in 100,200,300 yards see what StrelokPro says and if different than what it says to get on target enter those amounts and I’ll get true bc
No, you'd enter whatever distances you shot at and the actual holds that were different than what Strelok predicted.

Example; the predictions at 100, 200, 300 were 2.4, 8.0, 14.6 Mils. Your ACTUAL holds to hit were 2.8, 9.2, 16.0 Mils. You would enter those distances and the holds you used, it would then adjust the BC or Velocity to try and get the predicted curve to match these measured results.

Hi
A Kestrel is a fantastic tool. But for me, it's just too expensive. The value isn't there for me. Your use needs may differ.

I use Strelok Pro with much success. If only it could shoot for me too and I might do better. But as far a ballistics go, it has been fantastic with both .22 lr and CF.

The key to either tool is getting your velocity inputs correct. Using the truing/validation feature is a must, IMO.

I agree the Kestrel is better in hand out in the field. Mostly because of sun and screen glare and my iPhone dims the display due to heat 90% of time.

If you need it to connect to your range finder, then the Kestrel is the only way to go. Strelok does not do that, yet. I wouldn't be surprised if this feature comes out if it's possible to do.

Strelok updates the app frequently and is extremely responsive to emails concerning issues or questions. Strelok offers the ability to just get your weather over cell or internet and this is what I generally do. I used to use a WindMeter bluetoothed to the Strelok app, but honestly, weather does not need to be precise. As long as you're in the ballpark, your dope doesn't change much. .22LR is definitely more sensitive to temp changes but still not so sensitive to effect the dope a lot. A tenth or two of a mil over 15* give or take. I'm not saying it's not important, just doesn't need to be exact for each shot.

TL/DR: get the Kestrel if you have the $$$, otherwise, Strelok Pro is very capable.

Hi Thxs so much. I do feel the same way. Currently I do have the cash to get kestrel but having a hard time justifying the price tag. StrelokPro is very good and Igor is spectacular. I’ve sent him emails and replies within 1 day.
So with app I am a little confused. I just got a Magnetospeed v3 and will be using it this weekend. When you say enter velocity is there something special about that. I see where you enter it. Just use a average day of 20 or 30 rounds of ammo I plan to compete with ??? And the truing part I do see on app. So do I ask StrelokPro say for 3 distances say 100,200,300 and see what it says try it and if it’s off adjust to what I need than enter those values in truing part and it will adjust and give bc ???
Thxs Sean

Reactions: Mike 556
No, you'd enter whatever distances you shot at and the actual holds that were different than what Strelok predicted.

Example; the predictions at 100, 200, 300 were 2.4, 8.0, 14.6 Mils. Your ACTUAL holds to hit were 2.8, 9.2, 16.0 Mils. You would enter those distances and the holds you used, it would then adjust the BC or Velocity to try and get the predicted curve to match these measured results.
Ok and as far as velocity I just enter from my v3 say 3 strings of 10 average ??
Sean

Ok and as far as velocity I just enter from my v3 say 3 strings of 10 average ??
Sean
As many as you are comfortable gathering, the more shots the more accurate your numbers will be. Unless using an off barrel mount on a Magnetospeed your going to want to limit things just due to its impact on accuracy cutting into your practice.

Hi

Hi Thxs so much. I do feel the same way. Currently I do have the cash to get kestrel but having a hard time justifying the price tag. StrelokPro is very good and Igor is spectacular. I’ve sent him emails and replies within 1 day.
So with app I am a little confused. I just got a Magnetospeed v3 and will be using it this weekend. When you say enter velocity is there something special about that. I see where you enter it. Just use a average day of 20 or 30 rounds of ammo I plan to compete with ??? And the truing part I do see on app. So do I ask StrelokPro say for 3 distances say 100,200,300 and see what it says try it and if it’s off adjust to what I need than enter those values in truing part and it will adjust and give bc ???
Thxs Sean

Enter your magnetospeed velocity (average of 10 or so shots, possibly omitting the lowest and highest). I use G1 for drag function for .22lr. Use as normal unless you get a variance between what Strelok says and what you're actually dialing. The further, the better. Enter the click value in the validation and you should be GTG. I generally only need to do one validation if I'm getting a discrepancy.

As many as you are comfortable gathering, the more shots the more accurate your numbers will be. Unless using an off barrel mount on a Magnetospeed your going to want to limit things just due to its impact on accuracy cutting into your practice.
I do have a Magnetospeed v3

Thxs guys
Strelok Pro is "good enough" and where I started as well. I will say, I think Kestrels are more reliable in changing weather. And the biggest part is the wind. You can not get a wind from strelok.

Although this is an older thread, I agree with you. I've found my Kestrel to provide more reliable dope for my .22 rifles compared to the Strelok Pro app when it comes to elevation and it's very valuable for getting an initial wind call.

Reactions: Rocketboy
Although this is an older thread, I agree with you. I've found my Kestrel to provide more reliable dope for my .22 rifles compared to the Strelok Pro app when it comes to elevation and it's very valuable for getting an initial wind call.
Know it's older as well, but figured if it gets searched, like I did and it pops up, someone my read it.

Know it's older as well, but figured if it gets searched, like I did and it pops up, someone my read it.
Glad I read this thread. Been having problems with my strelok past 300 in prs/nrl matches at smaller targets. and did not know about the truing feature. Will try to true it out to 400 this weekend if I get the chance to go out to the hunting club.

Shooting a cz 455 VPP with eley edge. CenterX is the only thing that’s shot anywhere near as good as the edge. It’s ridiculous how well it shoots.

Make sure you're using G1 when shooting .22lr. I was fortunate enough to be able to gather actual data from 50ish out to 300 yards and then compare it to what Strelok Pro was calculating. G1 provided the most accurate solutions prior to truing. Once trued, I've had zero issues with the solutions. Most importantly is to get actual FPS speeds and use that input. I have found enough speed changes from lot to lot of Center X or Midas that when I open a new lot, I get chronograph info via Magnetospeed. If you don't have access to a decent chronograph, gathering actual DOPE is the only other way to get accurate solutions. Once data is gathered, make sure you're inputing correct atmospheric conditions. It's critical to get your atmospherics while gathering speed data. These play hand in hand. Once inputed, Strelok will give very good solutions in all atmospheric conditions.

Kestral has free class's and you get a 10% coupon if you take the class. I took a class, it was about an hour long.

I didn't have a chance to shoot my new CZ 457 rifle past my original 50 yd zero and still wanted to try NRL22, so I plugged in my data into my Kestral and shot a match. It was dead on up to 100 yards. It was a little off at 200 yds but I still had fun. I need to chrono my lot of ammo to get a better solution past 100 yds and get some actual time behind the rifle to get my DOPE. Good luck.

You don't necessarily need the chrono data, it helps but you'd still probably have to true it up in the Kestrel. This is the process I've used to calibrate my 5700 for the two .22's that I shoot matches with.

how_to_calibrate_a_22_long_rifle_using_a_kestrel_elite_3.jpg

Using that method, my dope has always been pretty solid to 500 yards.

Shoot paper, 10 shot group to really make sure your calibration and zeroes are good. I see people who put out steel at 200 yards, like a 6" and say well I landed most hits on it, .1 mil at 200 yards is .72", so there's about .83 mils of variance on that steel. Shooting paper, and really looking at the avg POI is the best way to ensure proper calculations.

Make sure your 50yd zero is correct as well. People go "close enough" and then they go oh my 200yd is .1 high, so I'm going to true for .1mils high and that will give you a velocity change, but really their zero was .1 off. .1mils at 50 yards isn't much, .18" so check your zero precisely.