• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 Base Class

texasrimfirenut

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2020
East Texas
Gentlemen,

I've done some research on scopes for NRL22. I am more confused now than ever so I give up and am just asking for advice now.

So for base class with the Tikka, I need to be around $500 or less on the scope. I've always used more bargain type scopes such as Mueller, lower end Vortex and my favorite rimfire scope(s) the Burris Timberline 4.5-14X32 scope which seems like it would be inappropriate for NRL22.

I read up on the whole MOA VS MIL and got lost. In the end, research indicated it really didn't matter on reticle. Does it? Which one is easier to learn to dope with?

My eyesight is getting worse every day and I am to the point to where 14X @ 50 yards is doable but nothing like it was to me 2 or 3 years ago. I have a Mueller target scope and although it goes up to 32X (I think it is) I could never seem to maintain being able to see the reticle without a lot of trouble. Plus its a target scope with nothing to dope with and on my wife's Kidd now.

For you guys who shoot NRL22, whats the best scope for the $500 or less and what reticle should I pick.

Thanks for any help!

90% of the PRS/NRL/NRL22 shooters use mil, so go with mil so others can help you.

I'd look at
Bushnell Match Pro (though sold out)
Athlon Argos BTR 6-24
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24

Thank you sir on the info. Really good tip on the Mil reticle. I bet that will make a difference in my learning and getting help.

Although I'm from the UK and don't shoot the NRL22. I've been looking at scopes for rimfire PRS (UK's similar version). I would suggest looking at Athlon, Element and Arken 6-24x50. Do your research have a look at reviews. Go to a few matches and see what people are using. Also try and gets hands on and see what suits your eyes.

Reactions: texasrimfirenut
Although I'm from the UK and don't shoot the NRL22. I've been looking at scopes for rimfire PRS (UK's similar version). I would suggest looking at Athlon, Element and Arken 6-24x50. Do your research have a look at reviews. Go to a few matches and see what people are using. Also try and gets hands on and see what suits your eyes.

Good advice and thank you!

Reactions: Delboy 71
Take a look at the Arken SH4 GEN II. It is selling for $399. It's getting very good reviews. I am currently running a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24x50 on my Base Class rifle.

I find 4-14 a little low. I generally only run matches at 10-14, but I do dial up to 18-20 when I'm doing 1/4" at 50yards.

I think I'd need more than the 14X as well for like a KYL target at 50 for sure.

That does make me think about the question: Did I understand correctly that on NRL22, the farthest distance is 100 yards? Also what might be the smallest target I have to shoot at that 100 yards?

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions/advice.

I think I'd need more than the 14X as well for like a KYL target at 50 for sure.

That does make me think about the question: Did I understand correctly that on NRL22, the farthest distance is 100 yards? Also what might be the smallest target I have to shoot at that 100 yards?

Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions/advice.

1" at 100 yards is the smallest. 1/4" at 50 yards is the smallest. NRL22 CoF is 100 yards, but most match directors will create bonus stages out to however long their range goes (200-400 yards).

1" at 100 yards is the smallest. 1/4" at 50 yards is the smallest. NRL22 CoF is 100 yards, but most match directors will create bonus stages out to however long their range goes (200-400 yards).

Thank you sir, that helps a lot.

I am at a disadvantage since there are no clubs that shoot it within 100 miles from me. I don't mind traveling once a month to go to a shoot, just nothing readily accessible for me in my area.

Distance is just testing dope. You do it "once" as in buy a ton of the same ammo, figure out the dope. Don't change anything.

Practice can be done via dry firing.

1605831106763.png

See all those little pictures in the background? I dry fire at those from 12 feet away. Looking at my stability, off the sawhorse, barrel, ladder, etc.

Another practice I was doing -

1605831274352.png

I just ought a bushnell nitro 5-20. SFP, Deploy MOA. Haven't mounted it yet but i like it. I think the turrets are better than the diamomdback 6-24. Paralax down to 10 yards and 80moa im the turrets and 25 more in the s scope.

Distance is just testing dope. You do it "once" as in buy a ton of the same ammo, figure out the dope. Don't change anything.

View attachment 7476793

See all those little pictures in the background? I dry fire at those from 12 feet away. Looking at my stability, off the sawhorse, barrel, ladder, etc.

View attachment 7476795

Really nice setup and practice setup. Gives me some ideas. THank you for sharing this.

Reactions: Ibcruzn408
I just ought a bushnell nitro 5-20. SFP, Deploy MOA. Haven't mounted it yet but i like it. I think the turrets are better than the diamomdback 6-24. Paralax down to 10 yards and 80moa im the turrets and 25 more in the s scope.

Thanks, I'll take a look into that as well. Appreciate it.

I like Mils because you deal with smaller in magnitude numbers when dialing and vast majority of people shoot in mils so it makes wind calls easier.
I run the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 (mil-rad) on my Tikka. So far so good.
My only gripe is lack of zero stop, you really need to pay attention to where you are on the turret, especially since some of our club stages are at
350+ yards.
Also wish it was 10 mils per rev instead of 6...

For Base class it's more than enough.
It's rather satisfying beating people in open running Vudoo/ACTARs ;)

I also like Mils. I can shoot both, however mils are much easier and faster. When I borrowed a friends rifle at a match that was in MOA I spent a lot more time dialing. The stage was 100 yards, 25 yards, 100 yards, etc. for the entire stage. I find it a lot easier to dial 1.7 over 6.1

If you only shoot NRL22, about anything can work. Other matches often have stages with holdovers only. That is where a good reticle really helps at longer ranges with wind.

If I was to rate features in a scope by order of importance for me it would look like this (apart from a scope that is true)
1. Mil based
2. First Focal Plane
3. Comp style reticle (no real need for this unless you have FFP)
4. Parallax down to 25 yards
5. Zero stop
6. Locking turrets
7. High magnification

I have used the Diamondback Tactical and the Argos before and they worked fine for me. Good luck

I also like Mils. I can shoot both, however mils are much easier and faster. When I borrowed a friends rifle at a match that was in MOA I spent a lot more time dialing. The stage was 100 yards, 25 yards, 100 yards, etc. for the entire stage. I find it a lot easier to dial 1.7 over 6.1

If you only shoot NRL22, about anything can work. Other matches often have stages with holdovers only. That is where a good reticle really helps at longer ranges with wind.

If I was to rate features in a scope by order of importance for me it would look like this (apart from a scope that is true)
1. Mil based
2. First Focal Plane
3. Comp style reticle (no real need for this unless you have FFP)
4. Parallax down to 25 yards
5. Zero stop
6. Locking turrets
7. High magnification

I have used the Diamondback Tactical and the Argos before and they worked fine for me. Good luck

NRL22 matches also have stages where you cannot touch dials so you must have a reticle that can do holdovers. Also I'd stick with FFP as well given you have to do holdovers and SFP scopes only have proper holdover marks for a certain magnification (usually max).

I will second the Cabelas Scope..I put a Cabelas Covenant Tactical 5x25 on my MTR to stay under the $1050...I did well with this set-up and the scope never let me down. Has the center target dot as well which I liked a lot.

Guys I just wanted to say thanks again for all the help. I learned quite a bit through this thread. I didn't even know about the holdover marks on second focal plane scopes. I don't think I've ever had a first focal plane scope but I will after deciding which on I am getting.

Really getting down to all the research on the scopes now.

Thanks again, everyone!

I prefer mils but am using a DB 6-24x50 in MOA because I'm shooting 22LR mostly at 100 yards or less so the math/numbers isn't overwhelming and it's sometimes used by friends and family that only think in inches. However, my centerfire rifles are scoped MIL.

View attachment 7476793

View attachment 7476795
specs? Dam this is a gorgeous setup!

wow! Great Thread! Learned a lot!
Trying to get a group together here in SW Florida to shoot NRL22
In the Venice / Arcadia area
Got the targets and gun club to shoot NRL just need some shooters!
[email protected]

You mentioned failing eyesight, I too have bad near sightedness and struggle to see the numbers on the turrets at times. This is where the big numbers on the Arkin scope really help.
I also suffer from neuropathy and have a hard time feeling the clicks on the turrets. Again Arkin really helps with their very tactile clicks on their scopes.