• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 Local Match Scoring - Math

USMC22

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
The following is from the 2024 NRL22 Rules:
  1. Match points will be based on the percentage of the winning score. (For example, if the winning competitor scores 480.87 points, and the second-place competitor scores 460.21 points you would divide 460.21 by 480.87 and multiply by 100 to end up with 95.70 points) Points will be rounded to the hundredth. Competitors are encouraged to compete in multiple matches to increase their monthly leaderboard score and earn additional entries into the random drawings; however, members will only be allowed one entry into the monthly winner drawings.

For Local Match Scoring:

Can someone break down barney style what the formula is for calculating the local match score for all shooters?

i.e. based on the example from the rules Competitor #1 has 480.87 points. Competitor #2 has 460.21 points. 460.21 divided by 480.87 then multiplied by 100 = 95.70 points. So for this match the top competitor gets a local score submission of 95.70 points. What does #2, 3, 4, 5, 6 get etc?

Is it 3rd Place divided by 2nd place then multiplied by 100?

Each score is divided by the top score (480.87 for yours) as that is your "100%", the results will be a decreasing amount.
Let's say #6 had 370.51, (370.51/480.87=0.7704x100=77.04%)
Let;s say #10 had 120.26 (120.26/480.87=0.2500x100=25.00%)

The shorter answer is just use the PractiScore app to manage your match and it will do all that math for you.

@6.5SH the issue I've been trying to figure out how to download the practiscore template. I'm leaning toward the flat rate of $35/match score submission via NRL22.org to make my life simpler. I've got a spreadsheet to calculate the raw scores and totals. At this time I'm going to make the NRL22 happen in New Hampshire but am a one man show right now trying to go wheels up for the 2024 Season.

At the top of the monthly CoF pdf it has instructions for both android and ios on how to download, clone and edit the templates.

ETA:
The link in the CoF will take you to the PDF here, you can also see the November template in the gdrive:

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
@USMC22,
Go to the downloads section of the NRL22 site. Choose a month if it’s loaded yet, say November. download that match .Pdf to your computer. Open it and it will have full instructions for how to download the template for that month. Then, once you’ve downloaded the template, you can add any extra stages that you want to include in your match.

Everything is locked.
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 3.33.47 PM.png

So I'm able to get further in the match template using my phone. . . I really don't want to use my phone to input everyone's information.

I'm guessing I need to get the club to purchase a practiscore account to utilize this.

I'm trying to juggle a lot here and think until I get some help I may utilize this scoring template I made to calculate both the cumulative total for scores along with the "local match" scores.
Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 3.52.39 PM.png

The budget way is a cheap Amazon Fire tablet and rubber case, as your event grows can get one per squad or stage as you need to.

The budget way is a cheap Amazon Fire tablet and rubber case, as your event grows can get one per squad or stage as you need to.
That sounds like a great option but right now the limiting factor is not have a 100 yard range wide enough to accommodate more than 1 stage of fire. It's probably 25 - 30 yards wide. There are other ranges with distance beyond 100 yards but the club is not likely to tie up more than one range per day per event.

With 5 NRL stages that's 5 yds for each. You should be fine. At my match the bays are about 10 ft wide.

Reactions: USMC22
I agree with all of the above advice. Buy that Amazon fire tablet. You do not need to purchase a PractiScore account. It costs nothing to register the club on PractiScore. I’ve been using it for a few years and only donate $1 of each shooters fee to PS (by my choice).

Each stage of the NRL22 COF can be set up in ten feet or less. So you can easily fit a couple squads of 6-8 in that area. Even 10 if necessary, though I prefer smaller squads.

The tablets take the headache out of scoring for you and can be directly uploaded to PS at the end of the match using a hot spot on your phone, if that’s an option.

Reactions: USMC22 and 6.5SH
I know that this is a lot, setting up your first match and trying to get it right. Especially doing it by yourself. I know. Just do what you can for the first one, it’s like getting your feet wet. You have to jump in the water to do it. After that, it gets easier and you can focus on improving and adding your own stages.

Good luck! 👍🏻

With 5 NRL stages that's 5 yds for each. You should be fine. At my match the bays are about 10 ft wide.
I'll have to look at the course of fire again. I though some stages required a minimum distance laterally between targets.
I agree with all of the above advice. Buy that Amazon fire tablet. You do not need to purchase a PractiScore account. It costs nothing to register the club on PractiScore. I’ve been using it for a few years and only donate $1 of each shooters fee to PS (by my choice).

Each stage of the NRL22 COF can be set up in ten feet or less. So you can easily fit a couple squads of 6-8 in that area. Even 10 if necessary, though I prefer smaller squads.

The tablets take the headache out of scoring for you and can be directly uploaded to PS at the end of the match using a hot spot on your phone, if that’s an option.
Thank you. That clears up some of the questions I'll be met with. If its free to register the club and use the scoring system I look into it further.
I know that this is a lot, setting up your first match and trying to get it right. Especially doing it by yourself. I know. Just do what you can for the first one, it’s like getting your feet wet. You have to jump in the water to do it. After that, it gets easier and you can focus on improving and adding your own stages.

Good luck! 👍🏻
I really appreciate the encouragement. It started as wanting to shoot NRL22 but no options in the area. I'm diving in feet first and trying to manage administrative tasks with operations requirements for both the club and NRL22.

I'll have to look at the course of fire again. I though some stages required a minimum distance laterally between targets.

Yes, but consider that there is zero reason why there cannot be a crossfire type situation. First off, the likely hood that two different stages and shooters will actually be creating a crossfire situation is slim. Then realize that there will Not be bullets hitting each other in flight. Also think about target paint colors. I do.

Thank you. That clears up some of the questions I'll be met with. If its free to register the club and use the scoring system I look into it further.

I really appreciate the encouragement. It started as wanting to shoot NRL22 but no options in the area. I'm diving in feet first and trying to manage administrative tasks with operations requirements for both the club and NRL22.
Trust me, it’s worth it. Just remember that it’s supposed to be fun and you’ll be okay.

Reactions: Modoc and USMC22
There is one stage this month that requires 30 yards between two of the targets, unless you have a huge range there will often be some overlap between stage targets. My cheap and easy advice is look for a colored assortment pack of surveyor tape on Amazon or hit your local hardware store and buy a few colors.

Flag all or just problematic stages and attach a matching color to your clipboards or the main stage prop. Makes things easier for the spotters as well as the shooter. If you wanted to get fancy stage numbered coroplast signs for each like you see at the nationals.

That 30yds won't work for my range. (my only complaint about this month's course of fire). So now it's ten. Done.

• Haha
Reactions: USMC22
There is one stage this month that requires 30 yards between two of the targets, unless you have a huge range there will often be some overlap between stage targets. My cheap and easy advice is look for a colored assortment pack of surveyor tape on Amazon or hit your local hardware store and buy a few colors.

Flag all or just problematic stages and attach a matching color to your clipboards or the main stage prop. Makes things easier for the spotters as well as the shooter. If you wanted to get fancy stage numbered coroplast signs for each like you see at the nationals.
Thats a great idea moving forward. For now I need to plan on the lowest common denominator. Right now I've gotta plan on being the match director / range safety officer, herding new shooters through the course of fire and score keeping. Without someone stepping up to help I'm not sure I could run more than one stage at one time. Maybe I'm that lowest common denominator now that I think about it . . .

buy the fires. Each squad scores themselves and acts as RSO's . Brief the COF after the safety briefing, if there are questions during the match, they can ask.

Reactions: lash and 6.5SH
buy the fires. Each squad scores themselves and acts as RSO's . Brief the COF after the safety briefing, if there are questions during the match, they can ask.

1699575339937.png

If it were up to me or left unsupervised I'd buy all the cool kid shit. ALL of it. I've got a proposed budget in and trying to get it up and running. If I run it like the government I'm never going to get it up lol

• Haha
Check the price of the Amazon fire's on Black Friday. Usually marked down pretty good. Or use a piece of paper but make the shooters help you run the match.

Check the price of the Amazon fire's on Black Friday. Usually marked down pretty good. Or use a piece of paper but make the shooters help you run the match.
Wilco,

I will delegate on the day of based on who I have for shooters, hoping for some with experience that won't mind helping out.

I'll brief ownership about scores, hits and times and have them attempt to track as well.

Will keep the Amazon Fire's in mind and Black Friday.

Thats a great idea moving forward. For now I need to plan on the lowest common denominator. Right now I've gotta plan on being the match director / range safety officer, herding new shooters through the course of fire and score keeping. Without someone stepping up to help I'm not sure I could run more than one stage at one time. Maybe I'm that lowest common denominator now that I think about it . . .
Even if you decide to shoot one stage at a time until you and your attendees are used to how things flow, you probably want to set the targets up for multiple if not all of the stages at once. You can then just replace props or move to the next one you have room to set up on the firing line.

You'll have a lot less down time and things will run smoother.

Reactions: lash and USMC22
That 30yds won't work for my range. (my only complaint about this month's course of fire). So now it's ten. Done.
I’ll almost bet that was supposed to be 10 yards, but even so, that’s a ridiculous amount of back and forth movement. Just to be different?
Yes, it does seem like a lot and is at first. After the first match, and honestly even at the first match. Make sure that everyone knows that they share RO responsibilities while on the range. At any stage, ideally, one person is running the stage (stage RO), one person is spotting on spotter or binocs (spotter), and if possible there’s a separate scorekeeper who also acts as a backup spotter.

These are all shooters in the squad and they rotate based on whose turn it is on the stage. Not formal, but it makes for better timing through the stages and adds to camaraderie. This method is used by most of the smaller local matches throughout the country.

I’ll almost bet that was supposed to be 10 yards, but even so, that’s a ridiculous amount of back and forth movement. Just to be different?

Yes, it does seem like a lot and is at first. After the first match, and honestly even at the first match. Make sure that everyone knows that they share RO responsibilities while on the range. At any stage, ideally, one person is running the stage (stage RO), one person is spotting on spotter or binocs (spotter), and if possible there’s a separate scorekeeper who also acts as a backup spotter.

These are all shooters in the squad and they rotate based on whose turn it is on the stage. Not formal, but it makes for better timing through the stages and adds to camaraderie. This method is used by most of the smaller local matches throughout the country.
Tracking on stations. I've seen this done when able to attend NRL22 pre-covid in Vermont when they still had it. I'll figure it out, just gotta get there first. One bite at a time, the only way to eat an elephant.

Their goal was for you to completely break your position and get your heart rate up. I honestly was not a fan of the rearward movement with the rifle though. We had no issues, but all it takes is one person tripping.

You had to break position anyway. If you were staying on the gun and changing targets it would make sense. Since you have to move away anyway it doesn’t add any difficulty. Having said that, good to see some creative thinking on the COF