• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22/PRS22 chassis/stock recommendations for B14R

Mr. Wolf

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Heartland
Taking the leap to the open class by building up a B14R barreled action.

I've read that some stock/chassis are finicky with magazines and/or trigger groups.

What's a reliable chassis/stock that would allow me to have some adjustability for adding weight for balance with good compatibility with the B14R magazines, ARCA rail built in (or easily added), and a Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage? Budget ~$1200

Initial thoughts:
MPA BA Comp
MDT ACC Premier
KRG Whisky
XLR Envy Pro
others?

Thanks in advance.

Personally I am the MDT fan. Just switched to ACC elite few weeks ago from ACC Premier. Definitely recommended ACC chassis system.

But if you are trying to have the rifle balance in front of the magwell, the best for B14R or any 20” barrel rimfire is probably the XLR Envy pro or MDT HNT26. Only these two will give you the lightest build (16~18 lbs). Rest will go over 20+ lbs just to get it balance.

Reactions: Mr. Wolf
My B14R is in the Bergara chassis and functions flawlessly, as it should. I shot a match with a guy a few weeks ago and his was in a KRG Bravo. It functioned no problem and seemed to be a pretty good match.

I was originally going to swap mine for a Bravo, but the Bergara stock, which does have what they call a mini chassis in it, has all the adjustment I need and is fine.

My reasoning for the KRG stock is 350$ is all I was wiling to spend for a stock for this .22. I have an MPA on my 6.5, but I was never going to spend that kind of money. Also the KRG Bravo is a plastic/synthetic/kevlar stock, if the mag was an issue it would be easier to tweak that stock compared to an aluminum chassis stock.
Taking the leap to the open class by building up a B14R barreled action.

I've read that some stock/chassis are finicky with magazines and/or trigger groups.

What's a reliable chassis/stock that would allow me to have some adjustability for adding weight for balance with good compatibility with the B14R magazines, ARCA rail built in (or easily added), and a Trigger Tech Diamond 2 stage? Budget ~$1200

Initial thoughts:
MPA BA Comp
MDT ACC Premier
KRG Whisky
XLR Envy Pro
others?

Thanks in advance.

My B14R is in the Bergara chassis and functions flawlessly, as it should. I shot a match with a guy a few weeks ago and his was in a KRG Bravo. It functioned no problem and seemed to be a pretty good match.

I was originally going to swap mine for a Bravo, but the Bergara stock, which does have what they call a mini chassis in it, has all the adjustment I need and is fine.

My reasoning for the KRG stock is 350$ is all I was wiling to spend for a stock for this .22. I have an MPA on my 6.5, but I was never going to spend that kind of money. Also the KRG Bravo is a plastic/synthetic/kevlar stock, if the mag was an issue it would be easier to tweak that stock compared to an aluminum chassis stock.
Thank you for the response. Heard good stuff about the Bergara stock but the lack of easy weight modularity and lack of easy full ARCA rail addition is a negative for me. Else I would have bought the B14r with the stock instead of the barreled action.

Looks like the MPAs have the mag latch adjustability which may be helpful with fine tuning the feeding issues sometimes encountered with Bergara mags.

Appreciate the shared info and keep them coming.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
Thank you for the response. Heard good stuff about the Bergara stock but the lack of easy weight modularity and lack of easy full ARCA rail addition is a negative for me. Else I would have bought the B14r with the stock instead of the barreled action.

Looks like the MPAs have the mag latch adjustability which may be helpful with fine tuning the feeding issues sometimes encountered with Bergara mags.

Makes sense. At least give the KRG Bravo a look...it does everything you mentioned and is 700$ish cheaper!

Reactions: King_beardsly
The thing I didn't like about the b14r in the acc chassis was the barrel didn't clear the forend. Out of those you listed, I prefer the MPA for that gun.

I liked mine when I ran it in a manners PRS1, but attempting to balance it was a little tricky since there aren’t any provisions to attach weight to the front end. It now lives in a KRG Bravo and it’s a bit better with a decently heavy tuner hanging off the nose.

IMG_5883.pngFC826753-AC71-4596-8CBA-BB9C3AF00044.jpeg

Last edited:
Feeding wise, I really like my ARC Xylo, it has been flawless. I can apply pressure directly to the mag and run it all the way into a bag and it still feeds great. With a lighter contour barrel it takes a decent amount of weight to get it to balance however.

DE90C018-CB4D-4227-8733-EEFDC7E73DF4.jpeg

7E2931B7-D63C-4520-AC7A-0BF0BC4EFFFD.png

Personally I’d recommend Bergara’s own BMP chassis is you can find one. Perfect enough fit that it cycles fired cases for dryfire practice, tool-less adjustment, and M-Lock for adding accessories.

Reactions: King_beardsly
Awesome, appreciate the suggestions I wasn't aware of.
I most likely will get a barrel upgrade, so aesthetics isn't the biggest factor, ,but functionality is a must.
Cheers!

Awesome, appreciate the suggestions I wasn't aware of.
I most likely will get a barrel upgrade, so aesthetics isn't the biggest factor, ,but functionality is a must.
Cheers!
Since you are in the mood for suggestions...........................

I would NOT waste money on another barrel!! The Bergara barrel is very good to awsome and will serve you well! Mine shoots lights out and many others here will testify to the same results!!!!!

Since you are in the mood for suggestions...........................

I would NOT waste money on another barrel!! The Bergara barrel is very good to awsome and will serve you well! Mine shoots lights out and many others here will testify to the same results!!!!!
There is no doubt they are solid barrels, but unfortunately they don’t fit the bill for everyone’s wants/needs

There is no doubt they are solid barrels, but unfortunately they don’t fit the bill for everyone’s wants/needs
True enough! I just didn't want him to relate factory barrel=junk, must replace. Definitely not the case here, but length is length and it's pretty hard to make it longer!;);););)

True enough! I just didn't want him to relate factory barrel=junk, must replace. Definitely not the case here, but length is length and it's pretty hard to make it longer!;);););)
If they offered a 22”-24” straight contour I’d be all over that, and I’ve heard rumors that’s something might be in the secret squirrel stage with the factory guys.

If they offered a 22”-24” straight contour I’d be all over that, and I’ve heard rumors that’s something might be in the secret squirrel stage with the factory guys.
Here's another question for you then............aren't you in the area of diminishing returns once you get a barrel longer than 21", maybe 22" max for a .22LR? I thought I read somewhere on here once you start chewing up a lot of velocity with a longer barrel? Not really on topic, but I think this one is about done anyways.

Here's another question for you then............aren't you in the area of diminishing returns once you get a barrel longer than 21", maybe 22" max for a .22LR? I thought I read somewhere on here once you start chewing up a lot of velocity with a longer barrel? Not really on topic, but I think this one is about done anyways.
You will begin to lose a little velocity but gain tighter SD and lower ES, along with the longer barrels seem less picky with ammo selection. I just started running a 23” 12tw and it’s a little slower then my “old” 20” 16tw but seems more consistent across the board. I’m going to run it a bit longer before I make an definitive statements about it, but so far it’s been stellar.

Reactions: sjmpcc022
I'm a Manners fan. But the issue is that their production sucks. And you're waiting 9+ months for one (unless you find one in-stock directly or Altus).
I’ll agree, even with the MCS-TCS which you’d figure is a quick one to produce since it’s “universal” with the mini chassis takes forever to get once it’s ordered

Reactions: NiteQwill
You will begin to lose a little velocity but gain tighter SD and lower ES, along with the longer barrels seem less picky with ammo selection. I just started running a 23” 12tw and it’s a little slower then my “old” 20” 16tw but seems more consistent across the board. I’m going to run it a bit longer before I make an definitive statements about it, but so far it’s been stellar.
Same. Now, going longer with a straight 23" Krieger barrel that is currently being installed by Vudoo.

I'm a Manners fan. But the issue is that their production sucks. And you're waiting 9+ months for one (unless you find one in-stock directly or Altus).

Their production doesn't suck but it does take longer to make then throwing a piece of aluminum on a machine for a chassis. More steps. They are found in stock if you keep an eye out and have notifications set up. They are also getting new molds set up and the LRHs are coming out faster and they will be doing it with the TCS too.

Their production doesn't suck but it does take longer to make then throwing a piece of aluminum on a machine for a chassis. More steps. They are found in stock if you keep an eye out and have notifications set up. They are also getting new molds set up and the LRHs are coming out faster and they will be doing it with the TCS too.
I dunno man... Foundation can throw a stock out the door in 4 weeks. I called manners 2 weeks ago to order another TCS, they quoted me 14 months 😂😂 - no way

I dunno man... Foundation can throw a stock out the door in 4 weeks. I called manners 2 weeks ago to order another TCS, they quoted me 14 months 😂😂 - no way

Two different products again.

Lots of good info here. I did some more reading and research and each of the chassis/stock discussed have their pluses and minuses.

Manners - love the look and feel, but the wait times can be long and less modularity in adding/substracting weights
MDT ACC - modular, heavier than some other options, available, but fore end is longer than the Bergara barrel (and I want to run a tuner)
KRG Bravo - low cost initially, but accessories adds up quick, front end is a bit too short
PDC - looks promising, like the integrated barricade stop but not many reviews, base model is good value but add options and price is similar to the higher end models
XLR - light, modular, but don't want to wait 4-6 months and add the upgraded stock end and price shoots up fast

After sleeping on it, I decided to go with the MPA Hybrid for the following reasons:
1. In my budget
2. Available now
3. Lots of weight and balance adjustability
4. Comes with everything you need
5. Adjustable mag latch
6. The MPA BA22 rifles, Desert Precision Gunworks, and other reputable 22LR specialty smiths have offered their rifles with the MPA Hybrid
7. Lightish @ 3.5 lbs. It'll be easy to swap chassis to shoot NRL Hunter Light Open division with a Proof CF barrel and a hunter/target hybrid scope
8. Gunmetal gray tickles my fancy

My shopping list and build lay out as of 4/30/2023.
Thank you, I'll keep you updated on the results and how it shoots.

NRL22 PRS22 Rimfire ELR Build.jpg

Reactions: Travis224
Lots of good info here. I did some more reading and research and each of the chassis/stock discussed have their pluses and minuses.

Manners - love the look and feel, but the wait times can be long and less modularity in adding/substracting weights
MDT ACC - modular, heavier than some other options, available, but fore end is longer than the Bergara barrel (and I want to run a tuner)
KRG Bravo - low cost initially, but accessories adds up quick, front end is a bit too short
PDC - looks promising, like the integrated barricade stop but not many reviews, base model is good value but add options and price is similar to the higher end models
XLR - light, modular, but don't want to wait 4-6 months and add the upgraded stock end and price shoots up fast

After sleeping on it, I decided to go with the MPA Hybrid for the following reasons:
1. In my budget
2. Available now
3. Lots of weight and balance adjustability
4. Comes with everything you need
5. Adjustable mag latch
6. The MPA BA22 rifles, Desert Precision Gunworks, and other reputable 22LR specialty smiths have offered their rifles with the MPA Hybrid
7. Lightish @ 3.5 lbs. It'll be easy to swap chassis to shoot NRL Hunter Light Open division with a Proof CF barrel and a hunter/target hybrid scope
8. Gunmetal gray tickles my fancy

My shopping list and build lay out as of 4/30/2023.
Thank you, I'll keep you updated on the results and how it shoots.

View attachment 8131900
You are spending a total of $930 on accessories and $3283 minus the optic and you are only allowing for a $260 scope on this build?

You are spending a total of $930 on accessories and $3283 minus the optic and you are only allowing for a $260 scope on this build?
Half off cert helped cut the cost for the Arken EP5. With my Cz 457 and 50 MOA rail, it let me dial up 28.4 mils.
Last week, was able to see and hit 1/4” KYL at 100 yards, so it should be good for the NRL22 distances. Most PRS22 targets are placed further away but larger targets.

I might put the Tract Toric on it, but so far for seeing 22lr bullet holes and seeing shot out 1/4” steel at 100, it seems to work just fine.

Acquired a used Tactacam, I’ll post vid results once phase 1 of the build is complete. Phase 2: possible barrel and scope upgrade (depending how she shoots… I suspect if I foray into the ELR side more, both upgrades may need to happen)

YMMV and Happy shooting

I have mine in an MPA, balances and feeds just fine. The factory stock wasn't bad either, just added an Arca rail to it. I just got a good deal on the MPA and it matches my centerfire rifle.

Just put mine in a MDT ACC. Forend obviously is longer but not an issue as others have done the same here (wouldn’t probably do it with a center fire). Waiting on 2 cans for this and another T1X build

B14R Barreled action
MDT ACC chassis
Arken EP5

Full internal forend weights
2 external forend weights

Weighs exactly 17 lbs

Fed/ejected spent casings (I recently staked the ejector)

Ran full 10 round mag for function test (unfired) and ran flawlessly

Balancing on my handle of my Benjamin air pump

IMG_5262.jpeg
IMG_5263.jpeg

Reactions: cuz and obx22
Just put mine in a MDT ACC. Forend obviously is longer but not an issue as others have done the same here (wouldn’t probably do it with a center fire). Waiting on 2 cans for this and another T1X build

B14R Barreled action
MDT ACC chassis
Arken EP5

Full internal forend weights
2 external forend weights

Weighs exactly 17 lbs

Fed/ejected spent casings (I recently staked the ejector)

Ran full 10 round mag for function test (unfired) and ran flawlessly

Balancing on my handle of my Benjamin air pump

View attachment 8132297View attachment 8132298
That's a very nice set-up, but I still can't get over the aesthetics of the the fore end overhang (for no good reason).
How does your rifle shoot? Any limitations from your rifle on targets out to 200 yds?
Thanks in advance, MW

That's a very nice set-up, but I still can't get over the aesthetics of the the fore end overhang (for no good reason).
How does your rifle shoot? Any limitations from your rifle on targets out to 200 yds?
Thanks in advance, MW
Not really known at this point. I shot 1 box of SK LR ammo and a few cheaper brands just breaking it in. But the scope I had was a larger reticle than I preferred at the time. It did show promise though. The trigger really sucked from the factory. Even adjusted lowest setting was about 3-4 lbs and had a shitty creep when starting the pull. Put a TT 2 stage in since

I’ll post some groups from the SK at 50 yards below. This was factory setup though. I just finished this up today in the pics above. Last group shot was .2 at 50 for 5 shots. I’m assuming it will be a shooter with some lot/ammo testing. This is the 1 and only box I fired through this gun other than some CCI HV and Federal bulk crap which it surprisingly shot about 3/4” at 50 with that

All measured groups are 5 shots. Some have other shots near them from sighting in or targets next to them etc

Mine will be suppressed when I get my forms approved. I have a TBAC and griffin on the way so that will protrude out the forend
IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4081.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg
IMG_4074.jpeg
IMG_4076.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Wolf and obx22
Time for a forward blow (linear) compensator 😉
Seriously though, there are several the same diameter as the barrel that would get the blast past the forend. Hell, even an A2 comp might be long enough (although it’d blast sideways a tiny bit).

Take a look at the sizes. The ACC accommodates 1.350 barrels and the EC tuner I just looked up would fit in that. Depends on model I suppose. One I see is 1.250. Cutting it close but maybe if you remove the forend cap it would have more room 🤔

Not really known at this point. I shot 1 box of SK LR ammo and a few cheaper brands just breaking it in. But the scope I had was a larger reticle than I preferred at the time. It did show promise though. The trigger really sucked from the factory. Even adjusted lowest setting was about 3-4 lbs and had a shitty creep when starting the pull. Put a TT 2 stage in since

I’ll post some groups from the SK at 50 yards below. This was factory setup though. I just finished this up today in the pics above. Last group shot was .2 at 50 for 5 shots. I’m assuming it will be a shooter with some lot/ammo testing. This is the 1 and only box I fired through this gun other than some CCI HV and Federal bulk crap which it surprisingly shot about 3/4” at 50 with that

All measured groups are 5 shots. Some have other shots near them from sighting in or targets next to them etc

Mine will be suppressed when I get my forms approved. I have a TBAC and griffin on the way so that will protrude out the forend
View attachment 8132581View attachment 8132582
View attachment 8132580View attachment 8132583View attachment 8132587View attachment 8132585
That gun'll hunt! Nice shooting.

That gun'll hunt! Nice shooting.
Thank you

I don’t compete in any .22 comps currently. So wether everything on my setup is allowed there I have no idea

I did spend the $$ on this setup though. As I figure it it doesn’t do what I want I can always pull my trigger and chassis and drop a Vudoo or RimX into the same setup

Plan as of now is put the EP5 on my T1X I’m working on as well. Maybe the bushnell pro for this. Haven’t decided yet

Whatever you get, something with a adjustable mag catch is going to be very valuable. I am a foundation guy but if I was running a chassis, the matrix is hard to beat IMO. 15% prs discount doesn't hurt either.

KRG also sells an extended "file to fit" mag catch.

My b14r balances great in the bravo. Added an aluminum ARCA rail and the minimalist spigot.

I had a Bergara b14 ridge in the bravo, and dropped the b14r in and it worked flawlessly. There's a little tweaking you can do with how the plastics fit, I put the action in, mag in, and then torqued all the screws.

And yes, the bravo ends up about $500 with the necessary accessories. Still on the budget side. I refuse to go all aluminum because we still shoot outside when it's 0* and snowing.

KRG also sells an extended "file to fit" mag catch.

My b14r balances great in the bravo. Added an aluminum ARCA rail and the minimalist spigot.

I had a Bergara b14 ridge in the bravo, and dropped the b14r in and it worked flawlessly. There's a little tweaking you can do with how the plastics fit, I put the action in, mag in, and then torqued all the screws.

And yes, the bravo ends up about $500 with the necessary accessories. Still on the budget side. I refuse to go all aluminum because we still shoot outside when it's 0* and snowing.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I like the KRG Bravo too and I have one for my Cz 457 and jbell from the 6x5 thread swears by em. But by the time I get the fully adjustable buttstock, Arca, spigot, etc, the price difference shrank. Love the new KRG C-4 but that was out of my budget.
Happy shooting

Thanks for the recommendations and comments. Great deal of accessible and practical shooting knowledge shared here. Less fuddery & more applied comp info here than other sites.

The build parts came in and I finished out the build today. No opportunity to shoot yet, maybe this weekend.

Initial impressions of the MPA Hybrid is awesome. Excellent tooling and the Sniper’s Grey Cerakote is the cats’ meow.
It came with the action screws so for those who are building up a barreled action, worry not. It also came with the spigot mount and the grip with the thumb shelf fits like a glove. (I may have to change out the grip in my other non MPA chassis). Minimal up and down movement with the Bergara mag, I may be adding painter’s tape to the mags to fix the forward/aft rocking.

I went with the MPA Hybrid chassis because the buttstock is lighter than the MPA Comp BA and have read (and now experienced) that it is easier to balance. The balance point on my bag is about 1.5” in front of the mag well when I have the Atlas bipod and ATS tuner on without any added weights. A weighted rail gamer bag instead of the bipod balances similarly.

Range report coming soon.
YMMV and happy shooting
IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2797.jpeg