• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 scope selection options

uhmeebuh

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2021
Minneapolis
Hi all -

Been lurking for years but finally my first post :)

I’m setting up a new B14R and want a step up from the Viper PST 5-25 that will stay on my Volquartsen Summit. I see the market has changed a bit since I last looked a few years ago but I’ve narrowed it down to a few in my price range (especially right now with year end deals):
  • Element Nexus - seems ideal for the 22 use but there may be better options (?)
  • Vortex Razor HD LHT - nice step up from my short time looking through it, love the XLR-2 reticle, and I could see putting this on my other bolt guns, not sure if it is actually usable at 25 meters even if parallax goes that low
  • Burris XTR III - seems to have some good reviews here, gets up in price a bit more than I want, don’t love the cross center reticle but adds more magnification which might be nice
  • Maybe a Delta Javelin (don’t like the reticles on the Stryker) or Athlon/similar LOW scopes?
So, anything else I should consider? Anyone seen through each of them? Been following the DLO (as many of us have) and seen his reviews on the Element and LHT but haven’t seen any/many unbiased reviews of the Burris.

For reference, most of my time behind is a scope is for 3 gun and a Khales K16i (absolutely love it) and a NF NX8 2.5-20 on my CA MPR 6.5CM but I didn’t like it too much due to the eye box and darkness at full zoom. I’m a buy once, cry once type within my budget range (or I’d have a TT or ZCO) :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Birddog6424

This right here.

I run the 18x XTR3 on my comp rimfire rifle. Its perfect for the job..

That's a phenomenal price on that optic!

Thanks! You’d recommend the 3.3-18 over the 5.5-30 for NRL22?
You won't need the 30x. I have no idea why there is this crazy trend in rimfire to have high powered optics. I shoot everything on 12x to 16x in rimfire just like I do in centerfire. Your furthest targets rarely break 100 yards in NRL22. Even in PRS22 which is what I shoot mostly, 300 to 350 yards is tops. 18x is plenty for a 350 yard shot.

Field of view is still king in this sport. You're still transitioning through targets and positions. Parallax is also a huge factor, engaging rimfire targets at 25 yards, then 50, then 100 all have to be adjusted for or they are blurry. Finicky parallax is an absolute no go in rimfire.

I shot all last year in PRS22 and a couple funnsy NRL22, I won the NW Rimfire Regional and went to the Finale in Texas at the beginning of December. I can say in full confidence the 18x XTR3 is an excellent rimfire scope.

Reactions: uhmeebuh