• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRL22 scope

edwardmatt83

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I started NRL22 a year ago. I'm using a SWFA SS 12x42 Tactical 30mm scope. I like just about everything about the scope except for the eye box. I wear glasses. I feel like the eye box is very narrow and can be frustrating.

Any suggestions on a scope for me? Budget would be $750 or less. I am considering a vortex strike eagle or Arken EP4. Thanks for your help.

Are you trying to stay in base class or open class? I would look for something like a PST Gen2 5-25. Watch for a used one here. Can find them around $700.

Are you trying to stay in base class or open class? I would look for something like a PST Gen2 5-25. Watch for a used one here. Can find them around $700.
I'd be ok moving to open. Rifle is a CZ 457 varmint at-one.

Both the Vortex and Arken are likely excellent choices for the NRL22 game. I've seen everything from S&B to SWFA fixed 10x at matches. We've got guys running Bushnell Nitro hunting scopes and guys running Razor Gen 2s, and just about anything you can think of in between. This last match there was a guy running a Simmons mil-dot loaner that was still doing okay. You can play this game with just about anything as long as you have some kind of milling reticle.

I shoot with a 3-18x50 Bushnell Forge and I can't ever blame the scope for my misses. Most stages I'm at 10-12x and only go higher for the KYL racks. For me, the requisites are:
  1. Repeatability
  2. Milling reticle (hashes are okay, trees are better)
  3. Parallax down to 25 yards
  4. Tactile turrets
Nice to have features:
  • Low CA, high resolution, low distortion glass (who doesn't want this?)
  • Zero stop
  • Locking turrets
  • Illumination
For me, I can save on optics for this game by getting something with max power in the 15-20x range instead of the higher powers because I end up running at 10-12x most of the time anyway. Combine lower max power with bigger objectives and it usually results in a more forgiving eyebox as well. I've got repeatability and reticle as #1 and #2 but those are really interchangeable. On stages with engagement at multiple distances I'll usually dial for one target or something in the middle and hold for the others, so repeatability and reticle are paramount.

I've had great experiences with Athlon optics, as well as the mid-tier and better Vortex optics (Diamondback Tactical and up). I'm also a fan of the Bushnell FFP offerings. I see plenty of Athlon Midas TAC, Ares, and Cronus at matches and also several Vortex PST II and Razors. There's a ton of good options for this game in your price range, and you don't need 25-30x on the top end for it. If you're a veteran, active, or LEO you can get excellent discounts from Athlon,Vortex, Bushnell, Leupold, and others.

Check out what @gr8fuldoug at CameralandNY has on sale. You can't beat his prices and he'll be happy to discuss options with you - Doug and Neil are good folks.

Reactions: edwardmatt83
Here you go. Probably won't last long.

Strike eagle
Locking turrets
34mm
56mm
15y parallax
Enough elevation in the turret alone to get to 400y

Proven company that will be around in 10 years

Reactions: Poirierpro
Strike eagle
Locking turrets
34mm
56mm
15y parallax
Enough elevation in the turret alone to get to 400y

Proven company that will be around in 10 years
I have one coming in next week. On paper, it’s loaded with features, and matches the reticule in my Razor that’s on my center fire. If it tracks, and the glass is even somewhat good, should be a winner!

I have one coming in next week. On paper, it’s loaded with features, and matches the reticule in my Razor that’s on my center fire. If it tracks, and the glass is even somewhat good, should be a winner!
Other than turret feel I really don't notice the difference between the two. Other than zeroing I don't know that I've left 16x in 14 months

Reactions: Poirierpro
Other than turret feel I really don't notice the difference between the two. Other than zeroing I don't know that I've left 16x in 14 months
That’s good to hear. How does the glass compare to say a Viper PST G2? Does that parallax break in at all or is it still super stiff? Can’t wait to get mine!

That’s good to hear. How does the glass compare to say a Viper PST G2? Does that parallax break in at all or is it still super stiff? Can’t wait to get mine!
strike eagle over pst gen 2 all day. for all the reasons i mentioned above

the way i look at it.
pst gen 2 way ahead of the gen 1. new strike eagle replaces pst gen 2. new pst gen 3 gets close to original razor/razor gen 2. gen 3 razor blows evetything elsee away

strike eagle over pst gen 2 all day. for all the reasons i mentioned above

the way i look at it.
pst gen 2 way ahead of the gen 1. new strike eagle replaces pst gen 2. new pst gen 3 gets close to original razor/razor gen 2. gen 3 razor blows evetything elsee away
I can see that trend happening! But what about that parallax nob? She stiff...non issue?

Last edited: